Spaghetti squash?

xecila
xecila Posts: 99
edited September 20 in Recipes
So, I've heard a lot about spaghetti squash.. How healthy it is, etc. But my question is.. how does it taste? And what recipes do you have using it?

Replies

• MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    I LOVE sketti skwash!! haha I cut it in half, put it face down in a casserole dish and fill it with about 1/2 inch of seasoned water. Then I skin it and get all the insides. It's good with spaghetti sauce or just butter and salt. Just like I like my REAL noodles! Definetly worth a shot!!
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    yummy! My diabetic friend uses it as a noodle replacement iin pasta carbonara. She cuts it in half and boils it. Then it scrapes off the skin into long "noodly" strands.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    I love love love spaghetti squash! I have it with homemade spaghetti sauce with sauteed mushrooms and onions. It is better than real spaghetti!
  • AmandaB4588
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spaghetti-Squash-I/Detail.aspx

I am going to try this recipe tomorrow night. 4.5 stars with 549 reviews. I can't wait to try it!
  • odatcindy
    odatcindy Posts: 641
    It is wonderful with just some butter and parmesan cheese, too. For those of us that can't eat gluten, it is a great pasta substitute.
  • i love it i make it with a pasta sauce doesnt taste any different... and easy to cook... theres probably a few recipies on here.. i had never had squash in my life EVER and i tried this and butternut squash and i love it
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    You can also mix with fresh chopped veggies and add a lite dressing.I use a lite Italian. you have a great faux pasta salad.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    RLSLUVR originally posted this recipe, and it's AWESOME!!!
    posted by rlsluvr on Fri 02/19/10 01:32 PM:

Had a few requests for this recipe... so here it is... ENJOY!!!!

1 Spaghetti Squash
    1 Jar Marinara
    1 On the Go 2% Cottage Cheese (4oz)
    Part skim Mozzerella (or 2% equivalent)
    Parmesan Cheese
    1 pkg Jenni-o Italian Seasoned Ground Turkey or Italian Turkey Sausage

Cut the Squash length wise and scoop out seeds and strings (I use a ice cream scoop makes it much easier)
    Spray cookie sheet with Pam place cut side down and bake at 350 for about 40-45 mins
    Take out of the oven, flip them over to cool
    While cooling....
    Brown Ground Turkey Drain off fat
    Add Marinara
    Add Cottage Cheese
    Then scrape a fork across the Squash to make "spaghetti like strands" carefully they may still be hot.....
    Place in a large bowl
    Add the Sauce mixture and mix together
    in a 13x9 pan add half the mixture and spinkle with mozzerella (how much depends on how cheesey or how calorie laden you want the dish... I use about a 1/2 cup on each layer)
    Sprinkle with Parmesan
    Add the other half of Squash mixture, Mozzerella and Parmesan
    Bake at 350 until Bubbly and cheese has melted.....

Bon Appetit!!!!

p.s there will be "water" in the bottom of the pan as I think it's from the squashs natural moisture....just let it drain a bit befoe placing on your plate or in your bowl....
    Edited by rlsluvr on Fri 02/19/10 01:32 PM

Mina133842: I have made this, and we altered the recipe using more cheese (my house is big on the cheese factor) we used about 2 2cup pkgs of the cheese, but we made a VERY large batch. It was definitely a hit at my house!!! I've also made it with ground turkey with Italian Seasoning (the Italian Seasoning mix from Costco just sprinkled on while cooking the turkey). I think we used 2 big spaghetti squashes too - kind of like a double batch I guess? I think we may have doubled the sauce, and used a 16oz tub of cottage cheese (or half of a tub). play with it and discover what you like. The squash has a bit of a crunch to it, so it's not like a regular noodle, but I liked it with the crunch. it's SO good!! Enjoy!
  • AmandaB4588
    Update on the recipe I posted and tried tonight---- it was awesome! I definitely recommend it. I am so happy to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
  • kimel
    kimel Posts: 56 Member
    Here is a great recipe for spaghetti squash

1 large spaghetti squash (3 lb./1.4 kg)
    1/4 cup 100% Parmesan Light Grated Cheese
    1/2 cup Part Skim Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
    2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
    1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
    Make It!

PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened, turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.

CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining shell.

MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.

nutritional information
    serving size = 1/2 cup (125 mL)
    per serving

Calories
    Total fat
    1.5 g
    Saturated fat
    1 g
    Cholesterol
    5 mg
    Sodium
    110 mg
    Carbohydrate
    8 g
    Dietary fibre
    1 g
    Sugars
    3 g
    Protein
    4 g

Diabetes Food Choices
    1/2 Meat & Alternatives
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    I think it takes some getting used to... and doesn't taste like noodles... it's got a nuttier taste. It's slightly sweet. But I love it! I put my stirfry over spaghetti squash. I eat it with just some garlic and sour cream on it. It's really good... and so good for you!
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    bump
This discussion has been closed.