How long to muscle atrophy?

Options
I am taking a week long holiday and will be doing some beach running with HIITS and some pushups but cannot do my normal weight routine. Will I lose the strength I have built in the last year?:frown:

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    No.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If it only took one week off to negate the gains of an entire year none of us would bother working out
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I sometimes gain strength after a week off from lifting. The program I am on has a deload week every 4 weeks.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I take a week off about 5 times a year and, if anything, I'm stronger afterwards.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    A pretty good description and discussion on "deloading" which is what this could be considered?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121391461

The part that's applicable to you is near the bottom of the first entry:
    If you want, you can even just take a week off entirely. If you know you are going to be on vacation, for example, just plan your training around it so that you can use that time as a de-load period. You'll be training smart and not feel the need to try to find some way to work out when the rest of your family is relaxing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Call it a deload week. You'll probably come back STRONGER from the nice rest period.
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I want to keep up the cardio so I can eat more but my husband would not be happy if I filled the trunk with all my weights. I will enjoy guilt free.