HELP!!!

Hello and good morning to all! I just started 3 days ago and I am hoping someone can be of assistance.

I am trying to figure out how to stay within my percentage of suggested Carbs, Protein, and Fat. I was browsing through my daily summary and noticed there are percentages for the three categories I mentioned. I'm assuming those are supposed to be by "Daily Targets". If anyone has any suggestions or knows what I am talking about could you please let me know.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Honestly the macros on this site are so broken that you shouldn't really care about them.

Do research on your own, find out information that is more closely aligned to your actual body and your actual goals; and then goto your settings and pick your own macros.

(As many have noticed it's virtually impossible to meet the sugar macro that is automatically set)
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Baby steps m'friend. Don't worry about the macros just now as you are only 3 days in.

I think the focus should be on getting the overall totals right in terms of food and exercise and work with overall deficits moving toward the healthy lifestyle change you seek.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    ^this

You can base your macros on what your goals are (are you cutting fat or carbs? Are you going for muscle building?) I'm currently aiming for 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) but there are many variations you can choose and adjust your goal settings based on what you want.
  • I don't worry about them because I think they are set too low. Calories in vs. Calories out for me. I just worry about Protein and Calories.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    This so far seems some good advice take it slowly, I am doing the same trying to work out macros I have been eating "healthily" for a good few weeks and exercising but have not seen any improvement so think I need to rejig my requirements.....its hard but I have found you have to experiment as there is a lot of contrasting advice available it is down to your body
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    I don't worry about them because I think they are set too low. Calories in vs. Calories out for me. I just worry about Protein and Calories.

^^^This. I make sure I get at least 100-110 gms of protein a day and watch my calories.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    I don't worry about that too much. Keep in mind they are just guidelines, not strict rules. I am Always over my protein and sugar. I am always way under my sodium. I think it's pretty normal to not hit all of those.

I really only keep track of the calories and my glasses of water when it comes to food, and then my exercise. Although that's a little weird too. When I put in my sidebends and crunches it doesn't show as burning any calories. That's not why I am doing those. I am doing those to tone those areas up and slim down, and I don't typically eat back the calories I burn anyways, but I feel like it should give me at least some credit.

My main goal here is to track the calories, keep myself accountable, and have a support network.

Great job on joining up! I was a little confused my first week too. You'll get the hang of it. I've only been on for 10 days, and I feel like a pro now. :wink:
  • I was talking to a doctor who specializes in weight loss and treating overweight patients, and he was telling me that the calories burned in exercise you see on this site/app and others and what you see when you get on an elliptical or tread mill are overestimated pretty badly. He told me that the best way to deal with this is to try to stay under my daily calorie goal and not use the "net" where they subtract out the exercise. Think of the exercise as a bonus. This may be a reason you think you're eating healthy but not losing the weight.

BTW, I know that's easier said than done--a lot easier for me as a 300 lb. guy who has a daily calorie allowance of over 2200 that still allows me to lose 2 lbs. per week. All I worry about is calories in, calories out. I figure if I'm worrying about that it means I'm making healthier choices and the percentages will take care of themselves.

Good luck!! Keep up the good work!

Brad
  • Thank you EVERYONE so much. I was seriously zoning in on that like WHAT!!! lol :happy:

I tend to get ahead of myself... something about really wanting to make sure I do this right hehe

I appreciate all the advice, I will take it day by day!
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    (whispers) Get a load of friends as well to help with support and accountability.