NO ONIONS :( salsa recipe anyone??

Options
Michow08
Michow08 Posts: 19 Member
Well I have found out that I can not have onions or garlic (which are two of my favorite ingredients!!). They both make me bloat and feel completely uncomfortable for the whole next day and half. Horrible feeling... my question is... I LOVE salsa and was wondering if anyone had a good salsa recipe with no onions or garlic. I have looked around online and tried a couple and they do not taste the greatest! My favorite breakfast is 1 egg omelet with salsa and bacon and don't want to give it up...

Replies

• hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Is it just onions and garlic or other members of the allium family? Could you sub shallots in your favorite recipe? Or even dried onion and garlic powder?

Sorry if this isn't helpful...just trying to brainstorm!
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hello !!

I have a friend that is Vegan and she suggested this receipe... she found it on a blog, and i gotta say, it's really yummy !!

Easy Onionless Tomato Salsa Recipe (vegan)
    serves 6; prep time, 10 minutes

Ingredients

2-3 chopped tomatoes (In the end, you want about 4-5 cups)
    juice of one lime
    1/2 TB Spanish olive oil
    1 TB red wine vinegar
    1 TB pureed cilantro
    1 TB chopped fresh parsley
    2 TB chopped, mild pickled jalapenos
    1/2 tsp hing (Hing (or asafoetida) is a spice used in Indian cooking. Gives an oniony taste without the aftertaste or scent of onions. Just omit if you can't find it.)
    salt to taste

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
    Chill 1/2 hour before serving if possible.
  • Michow08
    Options
    Is it just onions and garlic or other members of the allium family? Could you sub shallots in your favorite recipe? Or even dried onion and garlic powder?

Sorry if this isn't helpful...just trying to brainstorm!

I guess I have just noticed no more bloat after I took out onions and garlic from my diet.
  • Michow08
    Options
    Hello !!

I have a friend that is Vegan and she suggested this receipe... she found it on a blog, and i gotta say, it's really yummy !!

Easy Onionless Tomato Salsa Recipe (vegan)
    serves 6; prep time, 10 minutes

Ingredients

2-3 chopped tomatoes (In the end, you want about 4-5 cups)
    juice of one lime
    1/2 TB Spanish olive oil
    1 TB red wine vinegar
    1 TB pureed cilantro
    1 TB chopped fresh parsley
    2 TB chopped, mild pickled jalapenos
    1/2 tsp hing (Hing (or asafoetida) is a spice used in Indian cooking. Gives an oniony taste without the aftertaste or scent of onions. Just omit if you can't find it.)
    salt to taste

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
    Chill 1/2 hour before serving if possible.

thank you! I will try this one out!!
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This doesn't answer your direct question, but I was wondering something. I have little/no trouble with cooked onions, but sometimes do have trouble with raw ones. Have you tried cooked vs. raw? Might make a difference (might not).
  • Michow08
    Options
    This doesn't answer your direct question, but I was wondering something. I have little/no trouble with cooked onions, but sometimes do have trouble with raw ones. Have you tried cooked vs. raw? Might make a difference (might not).

I have tried both and raw does bother me more then cooked but even cooked bothers my tummy. Man and fried onions are the best!
  • JohnathanL
    Options
    I like the salsa at Chili's, but of course it's loaded with garlic salt and onions. However, I've modified it in the past without those and it's still good. The recipe is easy because it calls for canned stuff and I can stockpile it for convenience, but you can just as easily go fresh with the ingredients if it suits you.

4-5 Tbsp diced jalapeno peppers - This will give it some kick, you can tone it down a Tbsp or two if you prefer, or go habanero if you're nuts.
    1 - 14oz can of whole tomatoes - go fresh if you want
    1 - 14oz can of diced tomatoes and green chiles - go fresh if you want
    **1/4 cup diced yellow onion - obviously leave this out. Somebody above wisely suggested substituting some hing if you'd like. I'm fine without it.
    1/4 tsp sugar
    **3/4 tsp garlic salt - obviously leave this out. Regular or sea salt is fine. Also some lime juice can substitute good here if you like it.
    1/2 tsp cumin

The blend of sugar, cumin, and something salty is what's good to me.

Just throw it all in a food processor and blend it well, but don't puree it. I like mine not so chunky. I do it in my Ninja and it works great. Chill it overnight. I can make tons of salsa in about 10 minutes with easy cleanup and just store it in the fridge in mason jars. Great to add to an egg white omelet for breakfast.
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I make my homemade salsa with tons of garlic and onion but if you try different veggies you may find a combo you like...
    I don't measure so play around with it... I always have more tomatoes than any other ingredient.

4 Large tomatoes - diced
    1 green pepper
    (I would have garlic and onion here, but maybe try other peppers (red, orange, etc.) or jalepenos for some kick)
    cilantro
    red pepper flakes
    lemon juice
    salt

Very simple, but very fresh and tasty... good luck!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Can you sub powder/spices for the actual onion or garlic?
  • cherchechristine
    cherchechristine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like the salsa at Chili's, but of course it's loaded with garlic salt and onions. However, I've modified it in the past without those and it's still good. The recipe is easy because it calls for canned stuff and I can stockpile it for convenience, but you can just as easily go fresh with the ingredients if it suits you.

4-5 Tbsp diced jalapeno peppers - This will give it some kick, you can tone it down a Tbsp or two if you prefer, or go habanero if you're nuts.
    1 - 14oz can of whole tomatoes - go fresh if you want
    1 - 14oz can of diced tomatoes and green chiles - go fresh if you want
    **1/4 cup diced yellow onion - obviously leave this out. Somebody above wisely suggested substituting some hing if you'd like. I'm fine without it.
    1/4 tsp sugar
    **3/4 tsp garlic salt - obviously leave this out. Regular or sea salt is fine. Also some lime juice can substitute good here if you like it.
    1/2 tsp cumin

The blend of sugar, cumin, and something salty is what's good to me.

Just throw it all in a food processor and blend it well, but don't puree it. I like mine not so chunky. I do it in my Ninja and it works great. Chill it overnight. I can make tons of salsa in about 10 minutes with easy cleanup and just store it in the fridge in mason jars. Great to add to an egg white omelet for breakfast.
    bump
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Oh that must really suck! I love onions and garlic and rarely make anything without one or both of those ingredients. Anyways...just wanted to add that I also add in some chopped tomatillos which adds a nice tang and a little more taste to the salsa. Also, lots of cilantro.
  • kimouette2
    kimouette2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same position! All my favorite recipes contain garlic and onions, but there are alternatives!

Replace onions with spring onions (only use the green part!) or chives

Replace garlic with infused garlic oil.

You can make your own garlic oil : http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Garlic-Oil
    But discard any remains after 2 weeks and make some new.

Hope it helps!
    :)