New to running

Options
I've wanted to start running for as long as I can remember. As a total beginner, I wanted to know if the weather (says it's spring, feels like winter, just had snow here!) has any bearing on when I should actually begin running. I downloaded a C25K app on my phone and I'm ready to get started, but I'm just concerned that perhaps I should wait until it's actually warmer to do so. Just curious what fellow runners on MFP thought about it. All input is welcome, even the smart *kitten* :wink:.

Replies

• twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sooner rather than later! I will run outside if it's under 32, but rarely. Anything above freezing is fair game. You will be surprised how FAST you heat up when running! In fact, what feels comfy when not running (60s & 70s+) is really very uncomfortably hot when running, so I would get started now, it's going to warm up before we know it! We've had a very late spring here as well, but after some snow a few days ago, it's warming back into the 50s and I'm ready to run outside!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Just do it ;) There's never a better time to start then when you are ready! I used to do the whole I won't run if it's below x degrees. HAH! Layer it up, get out there and enjoy the beautiful outdoors (our group runs unless it is storming or roads are icy--so 10 degrees, we are out there).
    Enjoy and good luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    go get fitted at a running store now instead of later, you'll thank yourself when you don't feel like your shins are destroyed.

start now, too.
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have proper running trainers from a running shop and get out there the c25k is a great programme to get started. You soon warm up even when it's freezing and then when the spring comes you will be fitter, faster and able to get out and enjoy even more.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Start as soon as you want :)
    And take it slow, you don't need to start off in a sprint for a whole mile if you can't. Just go until you feel like you can't, then walk until you can run again (even if it's not for as long as the first time) You'll build endurance quicker than you think you would. :)

I started not long ago, I couldn't run for even a minute (That was in like February? Maybe late January) Now I'm pushing onto the two minute mark and I had a few weeks where I skipped out.
  • megd726
    megd726 Posts: 31
    Options
    If you wait for the perfect weather or circumstances, you will rarely ever get in a run. It sounds like you are ready. Go for it and good luck!

And as other people stated, go to a running store to get fitted for shoes. Make sure they watch you run in them. The investment in decent shoes goes a long way!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Snow in Nashville? Strange world we live in.

Go ahead now. I've been told to dress for the current temperature +20 degrees but I personally need a bit more cover than that. You'll be walking quite a bit in the early weeks of C25K so you'll be able to shed layers if necessary without stopping.

Check out this thread in the C25k group. It's a great group - full of very helpful, motivating people.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/401508-running-in-cold-weather
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Get out now - the weather is perfect! General rule of thumb is that after a few minutes running you'll feel like the temperature is an additional 20 degrees. Running in 40-degree weather is so much nicer than running in 80-degree weather! My one tip if you're going out into any cold - bring lots and lots of kleenex! My nose runs while I do!!!
  • shannonahenderson
    Options
    I've wanted to start running for as long as I can remember. As a total beginner, I wanted to know if the weather (says it's spring, feels like winter, just had snow here!) has any bearing on when I should actually begin running. I downloaded a C25K app on my phone and I'm ready to get started, but I'm just concerned that perhaps I should wait until it's actually warmer to do so. Just curious what fellow runners on MFP thought about it. All input is welcome, even the smart *kitten* :wink:.

I too dream of being a runner but my boobs are too big and my shins start hurting after the first 20 steps...lol!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Start now. Cooler weather is better.

"just do it, even if you suck"
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I quickly switched from running outside to a treadmill for this reason. I like running outside better, but I have a TV hooked up to my DVR that is close to the treadmill, so its not so bad.

Some tips I can share from my few times running when its cold.

First, there are running shirts that have holes in the sleeves for your thumbs. They work great. Gloves are handy if its really cold.
    Glasses, glasses, glasses. Cold wind on your eyes will make you miserable.
    A beanie or similar is great at first, but can cause you to overheat once you get closer to the 5k mark.
    Thick socks, preferably the kind for hiking so they wick away the sweat (otherwise you will get blisters). It sounds silly, but my feet get really cold when running on cold pavement.

Good luck with the C25k! I did it last year and it works great. Also check out Chi Running, learn proper stride and stance early and you will save yourself a lot of aspirin and icy hot.
  • mair123
    mair123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There is no better day than today to start C25K! I started with that program last year, moved on to the 10K program and after months of running 6 miles every other day, am training for my first 1/2 marathon. I consider myself a runner, not because I am fast- by all means, I am slow- but I have the heart and determination of a runner.

Sunny, rainy, snowy, windy- doesn't matter, if I have to run that day, I do. What I wear depends on the elements- and as others have stated, you will be surprised how much body heat you generate once you start moving. There are plenty of days, where I am shivering at the start and within one mile, I start shedding layers.

As a newbie, know that the summer/humidity might derail you a bit. It takes a lot of adjustment to run in the warmer months. The 10K program took me almost double the time to finish because I couldn't run through the heat sometimes, but I kept getting out there and would just repeat days/weeks.

Good luck- I hope you find the love and joy of running!!!
  • tresmommy86
    tresmommy86 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I too dream of being a runner but my boobs are too big and my shins start hurting after the first 20 steps...lol!

I'm very blessed in this area too. The first thing I'm going to do, even before looking at shoes, is getting fitted for a proper sports bra. Try Enell.com and see if they have a retailer in your area who can fit you. They specialize in fitting us ample girls. Hope this helps! Boobies shouldn't stop us from doing what we want. Mine usually help me get to where I wanna be, lol. :wink:
  • Dana_gets_fit
    Dana_gets_fit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If your shins are bothering you, your may need to get fitted for some proper running shoes. Been there and good running sneakers help. Also, if you land on your heels that will put pressure on your shins also. This is just some advice I was given from an avid runner.

I meant to reply to a poster mentioning her shins.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend getting real running shoes. I am going to wait til it warms up to begin running, but that's only a week or two from now. Instead of running, I am walking, which I can do with a coat. I can't really run in a coat. So personally, I am going to wait, but if you want to start, go for it!