Diabetes?/hypothyroidism

Options
So I got my blood tests back from the Dr and my blood sugar was at 106 norm is 70-99 and i have mild hypothyroidism norm is .30-4 and mine was a 4.25... does anyone out there have and suggestions on diet for these... i think my food diary is public.. i started changing the way i was eatting back in Feb.. but id like to get that sugar down to more normal range and as far as thyroid stuff .. they want to put me on meds and check back in 6 wks...
im trying to look up info on a diabetic menu but i would just like some input for anyone.. if you know people who deal with either of these.. any suggestions/help would be great!! And if anyone is a dietition please help me with what to eat :smile:
thanks
Bethany

Replies

• emay45
    emay45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was just tested for both of those, but came back clear even though I have a majority of the symptoms. My sister in law has hypothyroidism. Usually the meds they give you will help get your weight back in check. At least, that's how it worked for my sister in law. I think it will just depend on the person. Sorry I can't be of much help.
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    People will throw mud at me, but read Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution. Cutting down carbohydrates will help control your blood sugar. Good luck.:smile:
  • MrsMarvelous
    MrsMarvelous Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ok
    thanks for your imput :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree with cut the carbs. Eat whole foods no processed or minimally processed. White Bread is the enemy wheat bread is not much better if you must have it try pumpernickle(sp) or ezekiel. Instead of high sugar/high GI (banana's) fruit try low sugar/low GI fruit (berries) or only eat half a banana. Try to keep carb per meal under 30. Exercise after a meal especially high carb. These things have helped me they may help you.

Good source on line is Dr Bernstein Diabetes Solution http://www.diabetes-book.com/readit.shtml
    Also you may want to check out a booked called The Insulin Resistance Diet at your library which shows you how to pair foods effectively and cheat moderately.
  • bladesmom
    Options
    Is that your fasting sugar?
  • patwil73
    patwil73 Posts: 28
    Options
    Unless your blood sugar was 106 on a fasting test - I wouldn't really be worried. Even if it was a fasting test 106 is pre-diabetes. Losing weight will help that a lot. I'm not seeing a lot of excess sugar intake - most of your sugar is from fruits which is ok. As for your hypothyroidism that can be caused from postpartum thyroiditis - usually occurs within a year of giving birth. Hypothyroidism can cause a lot of symptoms that make it difficult to exercise including fatigue and joint pain. The good news is that only 20% of women who develop this go on to need permanent medication. Good luck and hopefully the medication will help.
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with patwil73.

I had physical and all labs done in March. My blood sugar was 103 at fasting, which is a little high but not something to stress over. My thyroid was elevated but not out of normal range. Dr's advise, "don't want to give you any meds right now, keep doing your diet and fitness, as it is working wonders for you" (after 32 lb lost, no more hypertension meds!). We have scheduled another round of labs for May 24th to recheck those numbers. If the numbers go down, awesome, if not, recheck in 3 months. If they go up, then we will discuss what the next step is.

Hope this helps a little. Have a great day!
  • MrsMarvelous
    MrsMarvelous Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Is that your fasting sugar?
    yes it was
  • jbhb
    jbhb Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for about 10 years and just this last week found out that for those of us have it, not only should you be on medication (which I have been) but there's a whole slew of foods you should not eat at all! Plus you need to be weight training and cardio workouts. I'm just in the process of figuring out how much calories to eat and how many carbs and proteins, so I don 't have an answer for that yet- however you need to basically treat yourself like a diabetic and eat every 2-3 hours....low carbs and high protein. Mininum calorie intake should be 1500 I guess. There is a book called The Thyroid Diet ( just ordered it from Amazon) and the Metabolism Diet (ordered that too) to help with this whole calorie/carb/protein deal. Frustrating and interesting at the same time. I have been working out like a crazy woman for two years- hardcore cardio and not losing anything at all. Went to a new trainer this last week and she had two clients that have the same condition and had the same problem losing weight. As soon as they made these changes they lost their weight and all has been well. Come to find out also our metabolism is not the same as someone who's is normal- so we have to eat differently and workout differtntly. I'll pass on any info I get- but maybe that will steer you in the right direction. And if you are not on medication for thyroid- get on it right away- it's very important.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    get tested for celiac, both of those diseases(among others) are linked to gluten intolerance