Tool...D. Bag....

Options
PrimroseFlower
PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
You know those things you don't understand and you don't want to say anything because you don't want to seem like such a dumbass....like when your the kid that thinks elementop is a letter in the alphabet (not original, I heard this somewhere). Well, I don't understand why people call others a "tool" as an insult. Tools are good, right? You might need a useful tool when fixing something around the house. I think I have even heard mention of a "tool" in the religious aspect. And what about the band "tool?" They are awesome, right? So how is being called tool a bad thing? Do they mean "tool" like a sexual device? This could be good or bad. Another example: Like for instance when you call someone a douche bag...this could be good or bad. If you are a female and really needed a douch bag, then it's good, right? Who wants a smelly biscuit? Not me! But if you call a dude a douch bag, this is bad, I guess because you don't want to be someone who cleans out a vagina with vinager...I guess? Please help me understand these things...I'm lost :)

Replies

• n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    h08F21164
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You know those things you don't understand and you don't want to say anything because you don't want to seem like such a dumbass....like when your the kid that thinks elementop is a letter in the alphabet (not original, I heard this somewhere). Well, I don't understand why people call others a "tool" as an insult. Tools are good, right? You might need a useful tool when fixing something around the house. I think I have even heard mention of a "tool" in the religious aspect. And what about the band "tool?" They are awesome, right? So how is being called tool a bad thing? Do they mean "tool" like a sexual device? This could be good or bad. Another example: Like for instance when you call someone a douche bag...this could be good or bad. If you are a female and really needed a douch bag, then it's good, right? Who wants a smelly biscuit? Not me! But if you call a dude a douch bag, this is bad, I guess because you don't want to be someone who cleans out a vagina with vinager...I guess? Please help me understand these things...I'm lost :)

Tool means you get used whenever they want?....lol
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    thanks...that helps a little...now what about douche bag?
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm taking the bait.

*kitten* - historically vaginas have been considered "unclean" or "gross" (you can still see that if you pay attention to the way menstruation is treated in our culture). In the 1950's douching became popular as it was advertised to women as a way to "clean" their "gross" vaginas so men would like them. It also became a derogatory term towards women. Typically today it is used to refer to men. It's debatable whether it is still associated with the subjugation of women. But I prefer to use gender-neutral insults.

Tool - I could be wrong on this one, but I believe that it comes from the phrase "tool of the system", as in someone who blindly conforms to society's culture without critical thought, aka a fool.