Working out on empty stomach: Am I burning fat or muscle?

Options
I eat lunch around noon everyday and workout after work about 5:30pm. I typically don't have a snack before my workout and don't feel hungry in the afternoon.

I've read a lot of articles where some say working out on an empty stomach is great and burns fat. Others say it's awful and you're actually burning muscle. Since it's not a morning workout is this something I should even worry about? Or should I start having a pre-workout snack to save my lean muscle?

Thanks!

Replies

• JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You are NEVER going to get a definitive answer here...

I suggest that you just do what you feel is right. If you end up feeling like you're losing muscle, try eating more before you workout.
  • ladylaume
    ladylaume Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree your never going to get the right answer I think it is what works for you I go alot in the morning before I go and then eat after Ive lost 30lbs and a total of 26inchs from all over my body since January....so i dunno just what works for you
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I dont know the actual answer to that but I agree with the above poster. Do whatever you can to make sure you get your workout in. Everyone is different. I personally eat a snack around 3pm because I notice if I try to go to the gym at 5:30 without that afternoon snack, I am too hungry and feel a little wobbly. But that's my own personal preference. I'm sure others will tell you different.
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above posters!

Personally, I need to eat something an hour before my work outs, which are always at 5:30 pm after work, otherwise I totally fizzle out with no energy (or dizzy, depending on what I"m doing). I usually eat a low sugar protein bar an hour before, whether or not I'm hungry, because that's what works for me.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Eat in a manner that allows you to stay within your calorie and macronutrient goals while at the same time allows you to get the most of your workouts.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Eat in a manner that allows you to stay within your calorie and macronutrient goals while at the same time allows you to get the most of your workouts.

QFT
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Brilliant!
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    You will get answers on both sides but I believe more people think you burn more fat on an empty stomach than muscle. Its probably not THAT much of a difference but you have to experiment. If your workout feels weak because you did not eat, then you are not doing yourself much good ya know? Its better to eat to get a energy rich workout than to not eat, not working out as hard, and ultimately not making gains because you think you burn more fat.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If I eat to much before running I just throw it up.

I only do coffee, gels or beans in the morning if I'm going to get a serious workout in.

Other than that, I don't worry if I'm burning fat or muscle. I don't have time to worry about that.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm wrong as usual, but I can't see why it makes a bit of difference what time order your eatin and working-out happen in. For years now, I've been working out as soon as the Y opens on weekday mornings (which is to say 5 am), and doing it on an "empty stomach (apart from the water I drink). I mean, it's hard enough to just get up early enough to go do that, and brush your teeth beforehand ... how're you supposed to eat breakfast and then go? Besides, working out right after eating just doesn't sound good to me ... I'd think you'd get indigestion or something. Or maybe I'm just being superstitious here. I think it's better to just look at your day as a whole: so much exercise and so much nutrition and so much sleep, and do the same the next day. So whatever works for you, I bet, works for you ... and keep on doing it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Also, to preserve LBM (i.e. muscle), you need to eat at a reasonable calorie deficit and get plenty of protein and lift heavy things and put them down...timing doesn't matter, but you need to properly fuel your workouts (i.e. eat back exercise calories to meet your calorie goals).

If you eat at a substantial deficit, do **** loads of cardio and don't fuel your workouts, you will most definitely lose a **** ton of muscle regardless of the timing of your snacks and meals.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said... you have do do what is best for you. If you are not hungry and have enough energy to support your work out, I think you are fine either way.

I get up at 5:30 in the morning and work out on empty and then eat afterwards. On the few times on weekends that I did eat first, I was sluggish and felt crappy so I just wait until I'm done now.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    A past trainer told me that eating something before working out is like kindling to get the fire of your metabolism going. So I almost always have a little something. This morning it was a protein bar (Nimble Balance bar for women). Or I'll have an apple with some nuts, something light and nutritious.

Working out on an empty stomach will often make me shaky and weak. A little fuel gives a really good workout.
  • evolutionbyariana
    evolutionbyariana Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Couldn't have said it better myself! For me, that means making sure I eat before most of my workouts. I can do short cardio sessions in the morning before eating but for pretty much everything else I make sure I eat beforehand. My workouts aren't as good without the extra fuel and I don't want to burn through the muscle I'm working to develop!

As long as you're feeling good throughout your workouts and are happy with the results you're getting keep doin what you're doin!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating before or after is going to determine whether that days workout burns fat or muscle. I don't think it works that way. I think as long as your meals are balanced and you are eating enough for your activity level the fat will come off. Timing is not the issue. But you may find that eating a snack before will help your performance and energy levels.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    You first burn whatever glycogen you have stored. The intensity of the exercise will help to then access the source for energy. Most of the time it will be fat.
    But let me say that the actual significance isn't going to matter much (with the exception of super long endurance sessions) if you're meeting the correct macro nutrient daily goals. Rebuilding and restoration happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters... about not getting a definitive answer.
    But a little fitness tip, from Wii Fit Plus no less, suggests eating a banana before a workout. I can't remember what else it says about it and I've tried using a search engine to find out... but it's only bringing up game cheats (tsk tsk tsk).
    I did find this though:

Bananas and Exercise
    Fruits such as bananas are rich in carbohydrates; they contain sugars and starch that serve as primary sources of energy for your body. Your body converts the carbohydrates from bananas into sugar during the natural digestion process. The sugar then travels to your bloodstream and eventually to your cells to provide energy. Athletes who follow low-carbohydrate, fad diets often suffer weakened performance, since failure to consume sufficient amounts of bananas --- and other fruits, whole grains and vegetables with carbohydrates --- contributes to feeling tired and sluggish.

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/422124-is-it-ok-to-eat-bananas-before-exercising/
  • aisling816
    Options
    There are three main energy sources for the body: carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Your body will burn a combination of carbohydrates and fat at any given level of exercise. On an empty stomach, your body has lower carbohydrate stores--and will then turn to fat. However, you are far more likely to become fatigued because fat is a less efficient energy source than carbohydrates. When you hear about athletes who are working out and hit a "wall"--they have exhausted their glycogen (carbohydrate) stores and are burning fat reserves. Fat gives you less energy than carbohydrates, unit per unit. Let's say you burn 200 calories and it is all fat. That's 100% efficiency. But let's' say you ate something and now you have the energy to burn 400 calories--with 200 from fat (50% is the approximate efficiency when your heart rate is in the aerobic zone). You have burned 200 additional calories, which will help you more for weight loss goals.

Protein--muscle--is rarely used as an energy source. If your body is eating muscle that means it is in starvation mode.
  • KrisNM
    KrisNM Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! This is my first post and I'm just blown away by all the amazing responses.

I'm eating between 1500 and 1600 calories per day and feel great. So, I'll keep doing what I'm doing but I may add an afternoon snack on heavier workout days.

Thanks again!