weight loss questions to breast feeding moms

Options
Hi ladies I have a few questions for you. This is my 3rd child but my first time breast feeding. The little guy is 2 months old. I seem to be always hungry with worse cravings than when I was actually pregnant with him. Also finding time to work out has been really hard, I guess I could do a short work out but I want to go back to my hour work outs. My questions are:

When did you start losing weight?
Were you always hungry? If so when did that even out?
When were you able to start working out again? (My son eats every two hours and takes a half hour to eat)
When do you weigh yourself to get an accurate weight? (I get a vastly different number all day long, usually higher in the morning)

Any advice you can give me to help the scale start moving down would be appreciated. I know I can't go down quickly but even just the start of a small decline would be awesome.

Thanks

Replies

• jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I nursed three kids. (last one weaned about a year ago). Congrats on BFing. It's a unique experiance I think.

When did you start losing weight? I woudlnt' even think about it yet.. eat healthy, and eat lots of protien to produce great milk. You need to be SURE your milk supply is very well established before you start to loose. When I did start, I lower my calorie count very gradually, and ensured it didn't effect supply. You have to decide what is more important... for me, I decided that the benefits to my kids and me of nursing exceeded the benefits of waiting a year or 2 to loos the weight.

Were you always hungry? If so when did that even out? Yes, but also rememeber that thirst sometimes feels like hunger. Nursing requires a TON of water... (I am terrible at drinking enough water, nursing or not). Calories are burned producing milk... most say 300-500. I don't know.. that always seemed high to me. I ate normally, and nursed. occassionaly I ate a bit more. You will get hungry when he goes through a growth spurt and is trying to up your supply. Eat.

When were you able to start working out again? (My son eats every two hours and takes a half hour to eat) Start with things like walks with him.. you can work out whenever you feel up to it (My frist was a C/S, so there was no way was working out 2 months past). But again, be careful that you don't burn so many cals that it effects supply. It's a tought balance, but if you make gradual changes, you'll find it.

When do you weigh yourself to get an accurate weight? (I get a vastly different number all day long, usually higher in the morning) HAHAHA. sorry, but you're right..l this will fluctuate SOOOOO much. If your sone eats randomly,l then there's no good time. I pumped once a day, emptying myself, so I tried to do it then. I would say first thing in the mornign is fine. but of course, if baby nursed over night 4 times on day and 1 time the next, it's going to change things.
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    thank you so very much for the help:happy:
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am also nursing my 10 week baby. He is my second nurseling.

Fist time round the weight just dropped off. This time it is coming off at a couple of pounds a week most weeks. I am eating about 1800 cals a day (except for sundays where it is full roast and dessert day)- that is what is reccommended for mothers who want to lose weight. I'm finding it quite easy to stick to that with plenty of protein and carbs- I need my carbs.

For the first 8 weeks or so I just went on power walks with the pram for excercise. You may find the baby goes longer between feeds when being pushed in the pram anyway. Just walk to a cafe and stick to a black herbal tea or something.

I have just started doing the 30 Day Shred DVD, its only 20mins long and its awesome, I would reccommend it.

My ticker includes the 10.5kg that came off straight after the birth by the way- I'm not THAT good.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oh, I weight myself on a Saturday morning after the first feed of the day, but before my own breakfast. Seems to work. I don't weigh myself in between