Replies

• sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump. my peeps ;)
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yes I have suffered from it and exercise works WONDERS on depression. You can add me for support.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Some things that helped me:

Good books that help you understand.
    exercise.
    network of people who will let you be and not judge.
    as you make progress in workout, your body transforms and the compliments you get are morale boosting.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    yes. i am. still struggling....
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yes. Exercise has given me hope to beat this thing.. it's become one of my "hobbies".. I don't take meds because I have a diagnosis of otherwise specified but my moods are improved incredibly.

Feel free to add me (anyone) if you wish
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Also, you can ask your physician or person handling your care about med options that don't list weight gain as a side effect
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It is common for people struggling with weight issues to suffer from depression. I have been there. It is also common for people who are dieting to have vitamin deficiencies. People with low vitamin D levels tend to suffer depression. Same goes with the B vitamins. If you go to your doctor to discuss depression, inquire about deficiencies as well. I took antidepressant meds for years. Money got tight, and I discussed the cost of medications with her and she told me about the new findings with vitamin d. I take 5,000 IU vitamin d daily, and I also take a B-complex tablet daily.....30 days later I was surprised at how my depression symptoms had lifted. Every situation is different, but it is worth asking the questions.
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    It's amazing what exercise can do. It's really hard to push yourself to get out and do something but it can really improve your mental state with the bonus of some weight loss.

^ This. Also, find yourself a good therapist.
    I have D.I.D, BPD, bipolar, PTSD and anxiety and one thing I will recommend is no matter what never go on seroquel or you will gain a ****load of weight whilst eating half what you were eating before.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round of prescription strength vitamin D. 50,000 IU's once a week.
    It is common for people struggling with weight issues to suffer from depression. I have been there. It is also common for people who are dieting to have vitamin deficiencies. People with low vitamin D levels tend to suffer depression. Same goes with the B vitamins. If you go to your doctor to discuss depression, inquire about deficiencies as well. I took antidepressant meds for years. Money got tight, and I discussed the cost of medications with her and she told me about the new findings with vitamin d. I take 5,000 IU vitamin d daily, and I also take a B-complex tablet daily.....30 days later I was surprised at how my depression symptoms had lifted. Every situation is different, but it is worth asking the questions.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with clinical depression 10 yrs. ago and could barely get out of bed most days let alone work out. I was on Effexor in the beginning but it really wasn't helping and started my weight gain. I was switched to Fluoxetine (Prozac) after a breakdown years ago and finally started seeing my depression lift. Even though I will always struggle with this awful mental illness, my depression is is pretty much under control but I don't think I will ever be able to be med. free. I still have difficulty working out due to chronic pain and fatigue that I battle due to fibromyalgia but my stable mood helps me deal with this.

Bottom line is that you need to get help for your depression before anything else but I am in no way advocating medication. It works for me but I know that this isn't the case for others. The first step is to start seeing a psychiatrist or therapist to figure out what path is best for you.

I wish you all the best in your journey to reclaim your life.
  • flab2fit4ever
    flab2fit4ever Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Celexa and it has been very helpful! Also, exercise is very helpful for depression, particularly cardiovascular exercises such as walking. I've read that walking three times a week can have the same effect as taking an antidepressant, so imagine what both can do together!
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm struggling atm (though I think it's more PTSD)

it definitely does make weight loss difficult amongst day to day stuff.. exercise used to make me feel better but now it never does, I still train though but I just don't feel better with it.

If you want, FR me and I'll support you.. I think having support helps
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps with depression so very much! I take medicine for my depression as well, but I found when I stopped working out for a couple of months, due to a series of very stressful events in my life, it got a lot worse, even with the medicine. So my best advice to you is, don't give up on finding the right medicine for you - it's a crappy process of trial and error. It took me over 14 years to find the right medicine for me, and it was actually just plumb luck. Wellbutrin prescribed to help me quit smoking, ended up treating my depression. But until you do find the right medicine, squeeze in at least 30 minutes a day of good exercise, 5-6 days a week. Also, cutting down a little bit on refined sugars can sometimes help boost your energy levels and mood. :) I hope you find what you need and get to feeling better. Add me if you want! :heart:
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed back in 2010 with situational depression with anxiety (stemming from not grieving with my mom and grandmother's deaths) and went through counseling until I left college in 2011 (was too stressed with college and pregnancy at the time, am happy to say though I am going back to college in June) and then was diagnosed in 2012 with mild post partum depression (they contribute it to home stress).

What I have found to help me is exercise. My husband has noticed that if I don't workout then i go from happy person to mopey and so I have told myself that I need to work out everyday. I have also found I need time outside in the sun and that I need time to myself (with being a mom and a wife I don't get time for me) and I do a lot better.

You have to do what is good for you. For me, I have been able to handle it on my own and while accepting certain things haven't been easy, and I do have bad days, I have found that if I think it is going to be a bad day, i get depressed, so I always find a positive in everyday, even if it is small.
  • RiotxRiot
    RiotxRiot Posts: 14
    Options
    Cognitive Behavior Therapy can help. Some people say its mumbo jumbo, but I find sticking to a routine is calming. I usually have between one and four severe bouts of depression a year. Sticking to a routine helps me feel better. (i.e. getting up at the same time everyday, exercising, making lunch after work.) Setting small goals and achieving them will make you feel better about yourself. I am not on medication and I have a lot of bad days still, but I do what I can. Get in the sunlight or under a growth light for a while. Do something you want to do like reading a book, or something creative. And if you don't want to work out, well that's when you need to stick to it the most, haha. You're gonna be okay ;)
  • Laurlkat
    Laurlkat Posts: 16
    Options
    I took Paxil for years, and it probably saved my life. I suffer from ADHD and OCD, as well as depression. I could only focus one one thing at a time, then I would get bored with it, and move on to the next thing and obsess about it. The only bad thing about Paxil for me was quitting it. I'd have horrible vertigo, and a whooshing sound in my head.

I've only just discovered how much exercise helps with all of the things I had been dealing with. I have never, and I do mean never, been one to exercise. Hated it. Didn't like to sweat, I look like a total jack@ss when I try to exercise. I have no rhythm or grace at all, and one of my legs is enough longer than the other that I look lopsided when I run. But, I've found that things like kickboxing and tae Bo work really well for me. Instead of worrying about looking like a jack@ss, I feel like a bad@ss, and I love doing it. And I swear, my treadmill is my best friend. If I start to feel down, even getting on there for ten minutes lifts my mood.

Will it work like that for everyone? No, but its worth a shot. Another thing I've gotten into is my fitbit. I'm a feedback junkie, so its great for me because I can see how many steps I've taken, how many calories I've burned, how many flights of stairs I've climbed every day. It gives me that little sense of accomplishment, especially on weeks when I don't lose any weight. Yes, it feeds into my OCD, but being a bit OCD about improving my health isn't a bad thing.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You can send me a friend request, then read my page so you'll understand why I am knowledgeable in this area but honestly, what type of depression are we talking about? Not wanting to do anything and just unhappy with life or wanting to kill yourself that life is so bad? Anyway, I won't 'air' my past on here like this so FR me and we can talk, if you'd like. :heart: And the whole exercise helps is a bunch of BS IMHO but then again, refer to my page.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    It's amazing what exercise can do. It's really hard to push yourself to get out and do something but it can really improve your mental state with the bonus of some weight loss.

^ This. Also, find yourself a good therapist.
    I have D.I.D, BPD, bipolar, PTSD and anxiety and one thing I will recommend is no matter what never go on seroquel or you will gain a ****load of weight whilst eating half what you were eating before.

That's worrisome.. the doctor I am seeing suggested that I start with Seroquel. I've worked really hard to lose weight, even with going to the gym everyday, I don't want to risk gaining any back
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Exercise (minimum 30 mins a day) and good therapy. Try a rating scale like the phq9 which is available free online. If it is severe then medication is recommended too. If it is mild/moderate a good self help course may help. Here's a link: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=37 . Above all, keep talking about it and be as kind to yourself as you would be to your best friend if she felt as you do. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there battling depression and also trying to lose weight? Any tips or suggestions on medications for the former and tips for the latter? I really need help.

Yep, sounds like me. Only I often feel like I'm working uphill: my medications of choice are food and sleep. I am walking to work 9 days of ten (I have to drive that tenth day because of work stuff).