Potassium & Cholesterol Question

Rhyssa6
Rhyssa6 Posts: 33
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Moved to Diet and Nutrition Board.

Replies

• cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    What do you eat that has so much fiber? Sometimes I'm way over, but most days I get maybe 1 or 2 of the allotted amount :(
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    I never meet any of the goals i'm supposed to and way overshoot others.

I'm almost ALWAYS under on calcuim, iron, vitamin c and protein.

I'm always way over on vitamin A, sodium, and sugar.

the problem is, in order to stay under my cals, i have to eat a ton of vegetables, which gives me more than double the daily dose of vitamin A). i eat small amounts of protein, but not much because they also pack a lot of cals. also i eat fruit only here and there because it's also high in cals (and where i live, apples are the only thing in season year round and a person can only eat so many apples before you get sick of them!). so my vitamin c is always under.

I usually stay in range for carbs and calories and so far i've lost 25 pounds. my heart rate is healthy, i'm in excellent shape and I'm really close to my weight goal. So I've decided not worry too much about the other goals. I do try to use them to inform snack decisions (like I know I should have yogurt or an apple rather than a piece of chocolate) but honestly, i don't know how anyone can hit all those goals even half the time.
  • Rhyssa6
    Rhyssa6 Posts: 33
    I eat cereal for breakfast and at least one, sometimes 2 granola type bars every day. Ialso eat a lot of Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, and WW Smart Ones meals, all of which have somefibre in them.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Blood Cholesterol levels (which includes your good and bad) are not very strongly related to dietary Cholesterol which is what you are measuring through your food diary.

Your body actually makes most of the Cholesterol which is in your blood. Cholesterol is a type of fat, which is made from parts of the fats you eat in your diet.

Therefore rather than dietary Cholesterol effecting your blood Cholesterol, the amount and types of fat you consume effect this.

Hence why saturated fat and trans-fats are advertised as bad, they increase LDL production (bad) Cholesterol. While HDL (good) Cholesterol is made from mono and polyunsatruated fats. There are other factors which effect this but as a general guideline.

Hope that helps with the Cholesterol part.

Potassium is important as it is part of the mechanism along with sodium which allows things to travel in and out of your cells.

Depends upon how low is low, your sodium levels and your hydration levels, as well as genetics.
This discussion has been closed.