do you avoid tempting food places like buffets

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I have to accept my genes and I will always have to watch my weight

lol

I must have missed something. What's funny about that?

the OP has a bad relationship with food.

good habits will do a LOT to manage your weight.. a lot more than blaming your genes.

"this side of my family is predisposed to be fat."

....etc.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Little known word fact: "Buffet" is French for "Do not enter".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nehushtan/view/-buffet-is-french-for-do-not-enter-71981
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I really only like Chinese buffets and I go 2ish times a month -- sometimes I just eat whatever and move one, other times I avoid carbs (because they absorb the sauces - not because I don't love me some carbs). As far as family get togethers & potlucks I always take something I enjoy eating. Even if it's not the most "healthy' thing, at least I know what is it and what a serving size actually is. Other dinners where I am not able to take things -- I eat a small meal before I go.
  • melleose
    melleose Posts: 4
    Options
    It depends how much food I'm used to eating.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options

lol

good habits will do a LOT to manage your weight.. a lot more than blaming your genes.

....etc.

From what I read (maybe my English is slipping?) she said that she "will always have to watch her weight."
    Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
  • justzoot
    justzoot Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We go to the same place one night a week to get together as a family and visit/catch up. Everybody gets to have their favorite foods, as much or as little as they want, and no one has to cook or clean up. For me, it's easier to take a small spoonful of seafood salad, or a single piece of cake (mmm, cake!) and not have the leftovers in the fridge to nibble on later. Plus, I prefer having a small amount of a variety of foods rather than a giant serving of one thing.

The first few times I went there, I overdid it, but now I know I don't have to eat it all because it'll be there again next time. If I don't like a particular dish, I don't have to finish it and I can go get something else. .

Calorie counts are posted online, but I end up eating about the same number of calories every week.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Going to an Easter brunch buffet.I'll just make the healthiest choices I can.

But I probably won't be logging either.

I'm just going to quick add 1500 calories and call it a day.

For the most part,I avoid them because the food has so much sodium and the taste is not worth how lousy I feel the next day.
  • trogalicious
    Options

lol

....etc.

From what I read (maybe my English is slipping?) she said that she "will always have to watch her weight."

"accept my genes"

translates directly to "I'm going to blame my genes."

check her profile and a lot of her other forum posts, then check back here with your findings. She shamed the entire forum for people that are able to eat yummy foods, post pictures of it, and still lose weight.

not very reasonable.

understanding and developing a working and healthy relationship with food is important, and seems to be a vital missing component.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have been going to buffets and church dinners which are the worse, last night lasagna and cake. You have to have a lot of self control at these places. I think well it is worth it because my weight is down but then I get resentful of these other people eating all this stuff. I have to accept my genes and I will always have to watch my weight but do ya stay away from these places or are you able to deal.

I avoid restaurant buffets because I don't enjoy them. Never have.

Potluck social events? I just try to make good choices. I'm not going to avoid my friends and family - who does that?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them but we just don't happen to go to them very often anyway. As someone else said, sometimes I eat whatever looks good and sometimes I control myself by sticking to the salad bar, veggie dishes, non fried stuff, etc and keeping my portions under control.

As far as pot luck type stuff goes, I try to bring a dish that I know is healthy and low cal (like my famous pasta salad) and mostly eat that and just get tastes of the other things people bring so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.

OP, try not to be jealous of other folks - you have no idea what their lifestyle is. I've done a lot of observing in the past few years since I started with my weight loss and realized that most of those folks you think are "lucky" or "have good genes" work a lot harder to look they way they do and be able to eat they way they do than you know. For instance one of the managers in my department seemed like one of those folks to me before. She always partook of the goodies brought in and went to happy hour a lot. Then I started talking to her more and learned that most of the time she eats really well and exercises a lot and is active with her kids. THIS is what allows her to be able to have some drinks on the weekend or go to happy hour and not worry about what she's eating or drinking. If she ate like that all the time, she'd be fat too.

I thought I was cursed with bad genes too because just about everyone in my family is overweight. As you can see by my ticker, I was quite wrong. It just takes time, patience and a little work and anyone can be healthier.
  • uwharriegold
    Options
    I've always TRIED to eat right, and pretty much stayed away from buffets. That wasn't enough to keep me from gaining 50 pounds over the last few years. This week, t actually skipped a friend's birthday party. It was a catered affair with great food and beverages. I knew that I would sabotage my progress, so I just didn't go. Now, I'm feeling weak and sorry about the fact that I didn't go ... but I'm also feeling good that staying on track is a major priority for me these days. With Easter coming, I cannot blow off the family dinner, so I'm working on the strategies I will need to get through the day. Fingers crossed! :smile:
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid them during my P90X workout and only had been to the sushi buffet twice. In the past few weeks, I've been going to golden corral like once a week or so. It’s a matter of knowing what your body needs, what your calorie budget is and staying accountable. I know that my body needs 50% protein (about 235g) , 30% carb (about 125g) and 20% fat. I made sure I stayed away from the fatty food and food with high sugar content, as usual. And I can proudly say that "I go to buffet and still lose weight/fat"! LOL

My family centers around food. Everything happens and we do food. Your sad- food, your happy-food, your mad-food. Celebrating- Guess what? Lets go get some food!

I have been maybe once a week since I started the weight loss process. I find like the above- most commercial buffets have great options. Baked chicken, vegetables, soups, endless salad bar. The only bad part is no low cal dresssing or in my case they only have low cal italian. I've gone to the chinese buffet- the only time i went over was this last time we went- and then it was celebration night- so i allowed myself to splurge.

To date I have lost 34 pounds from the end of january. I have to make these things work for me. Average 5 pounds a week give or take. I dont think going has really prevented me from losing.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options

lol

....etc.

"accept my genes"

check her profile and a lot of her other forum posts, then check back here with your findings. She shamed the entire forum for people that are able to eat yummy foods, post pictures of it, and still lose weight.

not very reasonable.

understanding and developing a working and healthy relationship with food is important, and seems to be a vital missing component.

Challenge accepted and my drawers still aren't in a twist about her posts, her attitude, or her habits.
    I checked my pocket translator and "accept my genes" directly translated to "accept my genes." Probably because those were her words and you can't just change them to suit your needs.
  • Grammie4VT
    Grammie4VT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them because they are a part of life. I feel that if I want this weight loss to be life long, I have to learn to live with buffets and dinners out, not avoid them. Part of that is the social aspect- if we are planning an evening out for a friend's birthday and she wants to go to a buffet, am I really going to stay home? The answer is no.

So I pre-plan my meal before I go. I look at the menu, figure out the calories, and enjoy.

This! ^
    Totally agree! It is a life style change and you can't always avoid these things. Just try to make healthier choices.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    no, food is not evil.
  • trogalicious
    Options

lol

....etc.

"accept my genes"

not very reasonable.

Challenge accepted and my drawers still aren't in a twist about her posts, her attitude, or her habits.
    I checked my pocket translator and "accept my genes" directly translated to "accept my genes." Probably because those were her words and you can't just change them to suit your needs.

S'ok. Just wait. Need a firmware update on your translator though. You can't certainly assume what she meant to match your argument either.

Tell you what, why don't we just wait for her to reply.

Dearest OP: What on earth did you ever mean by "accept my genes?"

Sincerely,

Me.

XOXO - hugs and kisses.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    clearly, you need to visit a Disney World buffet. I would buy an extra park ticket to spend the day filling my gullet with their buffet food.
  • proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    Ahh...just got back from golden corral. While it wasn't gourmet food but I got what my body needed LOL
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/proton77

One of the reason I workout hard is because I LOVE TO EAT!!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    thanks for your replies. Thanks to the person sticking up for me when I got lol at what I wrote about genes. Who knows, weight is a complicated issue. I am new, learning and making mistakes. Yes, I learned I can eat yummy foods and lose weight not just chicken and salads. I guess concerning buffets we have to figure out what is best for each of us.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    ....but what do you mean with your genes. Do you feel that you're going to be a certain weight because of your genes?