Shoe troubles

Options
Jenn728
Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
So I have running shoes to keep my feet neutral while running. But if I am wearing them while doing a video or exercise class, the side-to-side exercises (jumping jacks, side lunges, ski-leap-whatever they're called) then it kills my feet and legs. So I bought some cross trainers when I was doing Insanity. Those make the side-to-side stuff less uncomfortable but then if I have to jog in place, do high knees, or butt kicks it is hard on my arches and legs. (sidenote: I use the inserts from my running shoes in my cross trainers for arch support)

I'm taking a class now where we sometimes run and then go into the side-to-side movements. If I run in my cross trainers, I get shin splints.

Last night while doing a Jillian video, I changed shoes once and ended up barefoot because the different types of exercises were just killing my feet.

There has to be some kind of balance!?!

Any suggestions????

Replies

• blurfish
    blurfish Posts: 10
    Options
    This is not so much advice as it is commiseration, but are your running shoe inserts specialized or are they the ones that came with your shoes? I am wearing Superfeet inserts in my running shoes, and they have helped. Haven't worned them too much for exercise videos, though.
  • Jenn728
    Options
    This is not so much advice as it is commiseration, but are your running shoe inserts specialized or are they the ones that came with your shoes? I am wearing Superfeet inserts in my running shoes, and they have helped. Haven't worned them too much for exercise videos, though.

They are the ones that came in the running shoes. The inserts that were in my cross trainers were flat and my arches were strained so I tried the running shoes ones and they helped.
  • blurfish
    blurfish Posts: 10
    Options
    It might be worth it to check out Superfeet inserts and use them in your cross trainers. Mine run about $40, so, less than a new pair of shoes, at least. The Superfeet website is helpful in that it tells you how to measure and determine which of their various types of inserts is right for you. I have a high arch and a broad foot, so I actually wear the orange ones even though they're for men. Also, a running store may have samples out and let you try a few on to make sure you get the right fit. My personal experience is that the right inserts can make such a huge difference.
  • Jenn728
    Options
    Thanks! I will look into those inserts.