Limp Noodles

Options
Has anyone tried or had any experience with these "Miracle Noodles"?? Dr. Oz promoted them on his show, and they are supposed to be a good CALORIE FREE substitute for pasta. I've read reviews that are mixed...

What do you guys think?

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/p-293-variety-sampler.aspx?utm_expid=1948735-18&utm_referrer=http://www.miraclenoodle.com/default.aspx

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Hehehe limp noodles! You said limp noodles. :laugh:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    i thought this post was gonna be about "stim ****"... i needz helps

ive heard theyre not so miraculous.. havent tried em myself
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Lol at the posters above. I also stay away from anything that has the word "miracle" in it when talking about weight loss/fitness.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thought this was going to be about something else as well...

Anyway OP...just eat real food and fit it into your calorie goal. I don't see any point whatsoever in eating fake noodles...if there are no calories, there are no nutrients either, so what's the point. I'd also steer clear of anything that says, "miracle" or "magical" or anything like that when it comes to weight loss.

I haven't tried them myself, but I know some people who have...they're basically completely flavorless and have a weird texture according to those folks.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    They're largely tasteless, but the liquid they come in smells really fishy, so drain them well. Also, I like to cut mine up into fairly small pieces because they're fairly rubbery-- and too big of a piece will leave you chewing for a while!

"Miracle Noodle" is the American brand name of what is called shiratake noodle in Japan. It's made from the root of a native African plant called the voodoo lily or konjac plant, and the root mash is called glucomannan (google the words shiratake, konjac, and glucomannan for more information).

Basically it's a very water-absorbing starchy stuff that has virtually no calories but LOTS of fiber (one capsule of konjac powder the size of an average vitamin pill will absorb almost a cup of water and turn it into the consistency of jello.) It is recommended as a supplement to diabetics and hypoglycemics because the high fiber content helps prevent spikes in blood sugar. There is also some evidence that it will reduce blood lipid levels as well, and thus is sometimes also recommended for reducing high cholesterol.

The dry capsules are sold under a variety of brand names as an appetite suppressant (lipozine is one of the most recognized) because if you drink water after taking a capsule, it'll swell up and make you feel full.

There's a good WebMD article on some of the science at http://blogs.webmd.com/food-and-nutrition/2012/06/glucomannan-fat-fighting-fiber-or-fraudulent-fad.html that concludes that "Based on the bulk of the science, studies have demonstrated 1-5 grams of glucomannan consumed daily have enhanced weight loss effort. Like the FTC report mentioned earlier, glucomannan probably won’t perform miracles all by itself, but studies have shown it may be a great companion to a healthy calorie management program via healthy portion sizes combined with physical activity."