For all the girls/guys who talking about 1200 kcal max / day

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Agreed. 1,200kcals worked for me for a while until my body said hold up!! You're not feeding me? I'll hold on to your fatty fat and water and I hit a major plateau. Upped my calories to 1,500 next day the weight came right off.

If your body were doing this, you would have gained on the 1500 for a minute, not had it come right off the next day. With that said, if 1500 works for you, there's no reason to eat 1200. Just wanting to point out that it was likely coincidence or all water, not fat so other people in a plateau don't automatically assume they have to up their calories. Some people really do need to up, but others don't and find themselves really frustrated and confused that it doesn't end up working for them.

not necessarily-- low calorie diets = higher cortisol levels. Higher cortisol = water retention. Therefore, higher calories = less cortisol = less water weight = loss on the scale.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

not necessarily-- low calorie diets = higher cortisol levels. Higher cortisol = water retention. Therefore, higher calories = less cortisol = less water weight = loss on the scale.

Right--she didn't lose fat overnight from a 300 calorie increase. I absolutely believe she was retaining water, for one reason or another.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

crazy-owls_zps1e469afc.gif

does this freak anyone else out? owls are the new clowns....

ETA: srs.. i cant stop watching this and being freaked out.... stupid owls... its captivating
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at this post, and other posts and had increased my total daily cal allowance from 1200 to 1512, which is my BMR. My TDEE is 1,872 but im not prepared to increase it that much....

will this hinder my weight loss?

charlie
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I have been looking at this post, and other posts and had increased my total daily cal allowance from 1200 to 1512, which is my BMR. My TDEE is 1,872 but im not prepared to increase it that much....

charlie

hinder? Well, you'll have a deficit of 1872-1512 = 360. So you'll lose ~3 pounds each month.
  • charliemarie923
    Options

charlie

hinder? Well, you'll have a deficit of 1872-1512 = 360. So you'll lose ~3 pounds each month.

Thats a yes then ! Three pounds a month is nothing. to me anyway. My weight fluctuates by around 2lbs every couple of days. Ugh i wanna cry. Im looking to lose double that. I know youre probably sick of all my questions now, but how did u know that i would lose 3lbs a month from a deficit of 360? I swear im not as thick as i appear, just very uneducated in all this!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

charlie

Thats a yes then ! Three pounds a month is nothing. to me anyway. My weight fluctuates by around 2lbs every couple of days. Ugh i wanna cry. Im looking to lose double that. I know youre probably sick of all my questions now, but how did u know that i would lose 3lbs a month from a deficit of 360? I swear im not as thick as i appear, just very uneducated in all this!
    One pound of fat = 3500 calories. So 3500 / your deficit = days to lose one pound. 360 goes into 3500 9.7 times, so you'd lose approx one pound every 9.7 days.

Once you get close to goal your body isn't going to just lose 2 pounds of fat per week. You can lose 2 pounds but it's not going to be all fat. If your goal is to move a number on a scale with no regard for anything else, even if it means you shed muscle, then by all means go with a big deficit. But don't expect to be very happy with the results. Otherwise you need to slow down on the loss and be patient.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Just wanted to take issue with this comment. Three pounds a month is certainly *not* nothing. It's 36 pounds a year. It's over a hundred pounds in three years. Is it fast and flashy? Absolutely not...but it's consistent, sustainable, and is more likely to allow one to keep LBM while losing the fat.

Unless you have a photo shoot or a wedding or something similar scheduled in X weeks, there really is no good reason that you need to lose X pounds by some arbitrary deadline.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options

charlie

I've lost an average of 3 lbs a month... which is 36 pounds over the last year. That's "nothing"? Really?

Stop acting like this is a race. Your body will thank you for it.
  • charliemarie923
    Options

Just wanted to take issue with this comment. Three pounds a month is certainly *not* nothing. It's 36 pounds a year. It's over a hundred pounds in three years. Is it fast and flashy? Absolutely not...but it's consistent, sustainable, and is more likely to allow one to keep LBM while losing the fat.

Unless you have a photo shoot or a wedding or something similar scheduled in X weeks, there really is no good reason that you need to lose X pounds by some arbitrary deadline.

I said it is nothing to me. ive lost a pound since 3 days ago, without even being on a diet for one of those days, so why would i be happy with losing one pound is 9.7 days i think someone said? It may satisfy you but not me. We all have different expectations, goals and realities...
  • onyxgirl17
    Options

I said it is nothing to me. ive lost a pound since 3 days ago, without even being on a diet for one of those days, so why would i be happy with losing one pound is 9.7 days i think someone said? It may satisfy you but not me. We all have different expectations, goals and realities...

Your bodies expectations and your minds expectations might happen to be two different things. The "lose weight quick or don't lose weight at all" might work for you... for now. Patience is what pays off in the long run though. To each their own though.
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to eat food. I workout (or just live an active life) and eat back all the cals. My weight (avg) stays the same-ish and my body looks better and I feel more awesome. WIN
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

If you're consistently losing a pound every three days, then why change what you're doing? That's ten pounds per month.

I suspect the answer is because you *don't* consistently lose a pound every three days...which is my point. Slow consistent loss over time is far more important than fast sporadic loss over a short period of time.

But I'm not trying to convince you you're wrong right now. I'm just posting this so you (and others) can look back at this three or four months from now with the likelihood of a better understanding of what I'm saying.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes..I'm new and uneducated about this so..... My calorie intake I have been given is 1560. Most days I do not eat that much. Close but not 1560. So...on the days I exercise I should eat more?

Example: Today I've eaten 1243 calories. I have burned 413 calories. So I need to eat 413 more calories at least?

If that's the case I won't be able to exercise because I can not eat that many calories.

You must be careful that your calories do not already include your exercise!! I have my activity level at inactive so that any exercise I do is extra calories I can eat for the day. I try to eat at least my suggested calories daily then if I go up to at least half of my exercise calories too, no big deal..I try very hard not to ever go over my suggested and exercise calories because I really want to lose at least 2 pound per week.
  • charliemarie923
    Options
    I dont think you will convince me im wrong. My profile picture is me at what my goal weight is now. I lost that weight quickly and easily by eating very little high cal / sugar/carb foods and diet pop and working in a manually demanding job. I remained at that weight for 2 years and was extremely happy. Then i had a change of med and my appetite spiralled out of control. So i think this way does work for ME and its the way im happy with.
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I didnt come up with my 1200 cals a day target, i entered my information and thats what this site told me to do.
    I didnt lower my target or cheat the information.
    There must be some logic for that being my goal intake, no?

charlie

Did you read the thread you started earlier about your calorie goals?

About the BMR and TDEE? yes i did. BUT i still dont get why this site would recommend 1200 cals for no reason if BMR is the minimum you can have to survive and that is significantly higher. And i am also trying to make the point that i didnt chose 1200 cals myself .
    charlie

As far as I have gathered MFP doesn't consider your height nor body fat and therefore many get 1200 calories without exercise as a goal.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes..I'm new and uneducated about this so..... My calorie intake I have been given is 1560. Most days I do not eat that much. Close but not 1560. So...on the days I exercise I should eat more?

Example: Today I've eaten 1243 calories. I have burned 413 calories. So I need to eat 413 more calories at least?

If that's the case I won't be able to exercise because I can not eat that many calories.

I mean no disrespect with this question, but how in the world did you end up overweight and needing to lose weight if you are unable to eat ~1600 calories?

UH...THAT IS RUDE WHETHER YOU SAY SO OR NOT...how the heck did any of use get overweight....yes, it did not just happen..but I know that eating correct and healthy foods is much less calories than eating hamburgers and fries at 2800+ calories is a huge difference!!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I mean no disrespect with this question, but how in the world did you end up overweight and needing to lose weight if you are unable to eat ~1600 calories?

UH...THAT IS RUDE WHETHER YOU SAY SO OR NOT...how the heck did any of use get overweight....yes, it did not just happen..but I know that eating correct and healthy foods is much less calories than eating hamburgers and fries at 2800+ calories is a huge difference!!!

I think he's just trying to point out that none of us trying to lose weight are here because we couldn't eat 1600 cals. He wasn't being rude at all. Try eating some higher calories foods to meet your goal, nuts, peanut butter, and avocado. Just eat a small amount of higher calorie food and wham - you've just netted your goal calories. You can still eat some "unhealthy" food as long as you hit your calorie target.

Also where are you eating that a hamburger and fries are 2800 calories?
  • onyxgirl17
    Options

o...k...
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I won't argue with you about whether or not my comment could be construed as rude...(as MFP has demonstrated, no comment is immune from being interpreted as "rude")...but I will say that I believe you completely missed the point of my post.

I can also safely say that I do not understand your post at all. What are "correct and healthy foods"? And what are these burgers and fries at 2800+ calories about? Why the extremes? Personally, if given a choice between eating only "correct and healthy foods" but not exercising and eating *some* burgers and fries to make up the difference and exercising, I know which choice I would make.

Hopefully, most everyone else understood the point in my original post.

ETA: I see that others posted while I was composing this that lead me to believe that my point may not have been completely lost.