How long to notice a difference?

Options
2»

Replies

• theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest (190) - I really noticed it at 20. So I say 10% of weight loss?
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Heck, I've lost *57 and I'm still wondering when I'll "see" it. Yes, I'm wearing smaller clothes (by quite a bit, size 22 jeans down to 14-16) and yes my family and friends definitely see it. And when I look at old pictures of myself, I can totally see it there. But at my heaviest, I didn't see myself the way I really was. Mentally, I looked pretty much like I do now, even though that wasn't the reality. So, this far down and the girl in the mirror really isn't any different at all.

It really differs for everyone when you will see it in yourself. I didn't tell anyone besides my husband what I was doing and people started commenting when I was about 35 pounds down. Most said they wondered for a while, but didn't want to say anything in case they were wrong. By time I lost 35, there was no longer any question.

*I started at 220, so pretty close to the OP.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Wow what an accomplishment!!!!! I weigh myself every Sunday so I can keep my goals in line I have a mini goal I set every week. I cant believe you lost 28lbs and no one notices
    I cant believe it either. I can see a bit in my before pics but they disgust me too much too look at them. I had to stop weighing myself regularly, everytime I passed the scale I wanted to get on it. So I figured I will only weigh and measure myself once a month that way my accomplishments are more rewarding!
    What types of mini goals do you set each week for yourself?

So like last week I lost 8 pounds (water weight im sure) so each week I have a goal to loose three pounds and if I come close or not close enough I hit the gym more. If I make my weigh in then i treat myself with a promised gift. This week if I hit 196 from 199 I am getting my nails done. In three weeks if I meet my goal I am getting my hair done. 3 weeks from then if I make my goal I get to buy new clothes :) Anything but food
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow what an accomplishment!!!!! I weigh myself every Sunday so I can keep my goals in line I have a mini goal I set every week. I cant believe you lost 28lbs and no one notices
    I cant believe it either. I can see a bit in my before pics but they disgust me too much too look at them. I had to stop weighing myself regularly, everytime I passed the scale I wanted to get on it. So I figured I will only weigh and measure myself once a month that way my accomplishments are more rewarding!
    What types of mini goals do you set each week for yourself?
    So like last week I lost 8 pounds (water weight im sure) so each week I have a goal to loose three pounds and if I come close or not close enough I hit the gym more. If I make my weigh in then i treat myself with a promised gift. This week if I hit 196 from 199 I am getting my nails done. In three weeks if I meet my goal I am getting my hair done. 3 weeks from then if I make my goal I get to buy new clothes :) Anything but food
    My goals were kinda similar. At 30lbs I wanted to get my hair done, 50 start my tanning again, 70 get another tattoo and 100, new clothes
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I was told that with a reasonable diet + exercise regimen you will notice the difference in 2 months, while others will see it in 12.

It is different for each person. I notice a difference after my second week on the program. It is very slight but only in the fitting of my clothes.
  • oncearound
    oncearound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Typically, people start to comment on the change after I lose about 30. This time, I have been working out more than I ever have (low impact aerobics) and people have started commenting (especially my husband as he sees me with the least amount of clothing) after I lost about 15 pounds. I think any amount of exercise helps to tone so you notice a difference faster. I did notice that my clothes are getting baggy so maybe people can't see the difference through the loose clothing.
  • oncearound
    oncearound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have lost around 25 lbs and I still don't see a difference when I look in the mirror.

I've read on here that people see a huge difference if they take pictures of their progress and compare those instead of what they see in the mirror. I haven't taken any pictures of myself, but I think I am going to try it. I have lost around 20 pounds as of this morning and I don't see much of a difference in the mirror but others are starting to comment.
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    Tank you everyone for sharing, I cant wait to be in the 20/30 lb range with you guys. I hope people and myself start to notice soon but until then ill just keep trucking along with it. I have noticed swimming laps really does a number on my arms
  • Imperfect_Angel
    Imperfect_Angel Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My sw was 210 I have made it to wonderland and I have lost 11 pounds but I am wondering how many pounds I will have to loose to see a difference. My pants dont seem much looser and the same old fat is there. I figure with all the running and swimming I do i should see a change soon right? Its been like 3 weeks since I started so Iam still in the early stages.

THIS! ^^^

Me too! I started off around 210-ish, it's been a good 17lbs weight loss later & still no difference. My work pants are still not loose & my face hasn't shown much change too. It's discouraging since I work out everyday & eat right! Noone has even commented on my weight loss yet....What is it I'm doing wrong, people!?
  • minionofevil
    minionofevil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I still don't look down and see a difference, but i took a pic at my start weight, and 15lbs down and you can see it (look at prof pic).. 2lbs til i hit 25 and i am gonna take another one!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a pic of me on facebook after I lost 50lbs and my family (who hadn't seen me in months) commented on other stuff in the pic but didn't even notice I had lost weight. It was a good thing though because I was able to surprise them with the full weight loss a few months later.
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    The thing I dont like about photos is its all relative, the lighting, the clothes, how far the camera is from you it all makes a difference so technically you may just look smaller because of how the shot was taken. Idk
  • minionofevil
    minionofevil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The thing I dont like about photos is its all relative, the lighting, the clothes, how far the camera is from you it all makes a difference so technically you may just look smaller because of how the shot was taken. Idk

I thought the same thing, that is why I wear the same clothes and stand in the same spot.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I thought the same thing, that is why I wear the same clothes and stand in the same spot.

^This^. I was just about to type this LOL. Pictures help. You can control the variables alot.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think noticing depends on the person & where you need to lose the weight from. I have lost 28 lbs but I don't see it all but the people I work with & my family telling me how good I look. I really want to lose my belly but I have only lost 1 inch from there. But I have dropped a pant size prob from losing in my hips & butt that I really didn't need to lose as much as the FAT belly. I recomend like others have said taking pictures & measurements often we are too critical of ourselves to see the progress any other way.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    that's why THIS time I am having my daughter take progress pix. I've lost almost 13 pounds recently and I can see it. I do 4 views face closeup, side, front and back. It makes me know I am doing something even on the weeks I don't lose as much. I have 3 sets of pics I can compare now. Hopefully by the 12th set, I will be at GOAL. You are doing great. Just keep it up!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!