Food and blood pressure

Options
I have very, very low blood pressure and I faint a lot because of it. My doctor wants me to eat a high sodium diet, but the problem is that ever since I started dieting, I've been focusing on eating healthy, clean foods - and those don't have a lot of salt. Plus, I don't WANT to eat salt, because of water retention.

What are some ways to raise blood pressure that won't impact my weight?

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Eat more salt and be healthy

Or have lower water weight and be unhealthy
  • bethgrayster
    bethgrayster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just eat a lot of sodium and drink a lot of water. I like to season my veggies with soy sauce. Also, when I start feeling woozy, I drink a powerade zero, no calories, good amount of sodium. Be sure to keep hydrated. Drinking lots of fluids will help raise your blood volume which in turn raises your blood pressure.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous posters. Had the same problem in HS. My doctor also suggested V8 juice.
  • callybobuffalo
    Options
    Your supposed to retain water. With out water you will die. I would take your doctors advice and increase your salt intake. Not only is salt necessary for "retaining water" it also helps your kidneys function properly.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have very, very low blood pressure and I faint a lot because of it. My doctor wants me to eat a high sodium diet, but the problem is that ever since I started dieting, I've been focusing on eating healthy, clean foods - and those don't have a lot of salt. Plus, I don't WANT to eat salt, because of water retention.

Have you tried juicing? Its a GREAT way to get your nutrients and maintain a healthy weight. Just food for thought.
  • bethgrayster
    bethgrayster Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Have you tried juicing? Its a GREAT way to get your nutrients and maintain a healthy weight. Just food for thought.

How exactly does juicing impact blood pressure?
  • Mikerails
    Mikerails Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with blood pressure. Initiall the doctor and I tried more salt, but it did not help enough. Currently the doctor prescribed medication to help put more salt into my system so I don't pass out. Yes, I gained about 5-10 pounds, but I just used that as modivation to continue to exercise and work hard. I know of several people who have passed out and hit their head, resulting in brain damage and in one case death, so a little water weight seems like a small price to pay.

Add the salt to your diet and hopefully it will help for you. If not, keep working this with your doctor. Passing out can be a life threatening event.