Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Pictures ladies! I want pictures!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    attempting a slow bulk as we speak. about 2 weeks in. i will report back.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this thread! I just have to say, You ladies are awesome! I plan on trying a bulk this Fall/Winter, but I'm such a scaredy cat. You are totally inspiring. Keep up the good work!
  • Imaan2012
    Imaan2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Need to follow this one!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I hope she doesn't mind, but one of my friends on here has gone through very successful cutting and bulking cycles and I love her progress pictures. She is stephanielynn76. Go check out her blog as it is FULL of pictures from when she was first starting to lose fat until now. She also details her training and nutrition regimen.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I just came out of a 'trial bulk' which I did for 5 weeks. I averaged around 2900 cals per day and gained around 5lb. I'm now cutting/maintaining through the summer to try get my BF% below 20 then aim to do a 3-4 month bulk next autumn/winter.
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options

By the way, at the beginnig of bulk I was at 21.2% body fat and by mid February I was at 18.9%. I didn't cut calories when bulk was over, I just ate at maintenance. Still no cardio in my life!

That's what I wanted to read. I have time weights, but being on my feet all day and busy squeezing in cardio has been rough lately, so THANK YOU FOR SHARING!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    See I'm impressed that people are eating a few hundred calories over maintenance daily and are gaining 10-16 lbs in 3-5 months in that time. That's important to note for all those freaking out about going up 3 lbs from a meal... a true gain takes much more time to accomplish.

I'm going to do my first bulk in October of this year... after the last of my 13 mile races.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Bumpin.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first bulk and proceeded to cut. I only cut for about 4 weeks and then I decided to do a powerlifting meet in May so right now I am eating at TDEE. My weight is back to where it was prior to bulking, so I expect to see body composition changes by eating at TDEE and continuing with heavy lifting. I am not at goal weight, but have kind of abandoned the idea of having a goal weight anywhere, more like having a goal body composition. I still have a long way to go, but I have to keep it all in perspective. My progress pic is where I started. I don't think you need to be at goal to start the bulking/cutting process, and in all honesty I think it might be better if you do before you get to goal, just my personal opinion though.

I bulked from November-February. Started at 2850 and moved up to 3000. Cut at 2500 and TDEE is now about 2700-2850.
    I gained about 12 pounds and 1 % body fat. My favorite part of bulking was seeing those strength gains. Just awesome!!!!

Lets see if I can remember how to get pictures to post...
    PhotoGrid_1364235327837_zpsb063f525.png

These pics show from my first week of cutting to fourth week of cutting.
    PhotoGrid_1362148242522_zps6f74e9ae.jpg

Those pics cut off one of the pics in the collage. I also should clarify-1st pic is end of my cut, 2nd pic is about 2 weeks after ending bulk (so they go backwards lol)
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump bumpty bump
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I love your pics OP! It looks like you gained 10 lbs without gaining any fat! But I suppose you must have, it just doesn't look like it with the extra muscle in there.

Thanks for making this post!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    So happy to see another thread spawned!

Bumping to sit back and be inspired :)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Can someone define cut and bulk for me. What does it mean and why do you do it? thanks :)
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I hope she doesn't mind, but one of my friends on here has gone through very successful cutting and bulking cycles and I love her progress pictures. She is stephanielynn76. Go check out her blog as it is FULL of pictures from when she was first starting to lose fat until now. She also details her training and nutrition regimen.

:love:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Can someone define cut and bulk for me. What does it mean and why do you do it? thanks :)

A cut is basically a diet, but one where you focus on cutting body fat and not just "weight". You do so by eating at a small to moderate calorie deficit, getting adequate protein, and lifting weights.

A bulk is where you try to gain muscle. We do this because muscle is awesome. You often can't have a real "defined" look if your muscles are too small physically. You pretty much can't gain muscle without gaining fat. This you do buy eating at a surplus and still weight lifting (although it might require a slightly different routine), and still eating enough protein.

So yeah, if you "accidentally" gain fat while bulking you would most likely want to lose it by cutting. Many people do several bulk/cut cycles.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

It's the process of going through cycles of deliberately eating a surplus while maintaining a lifting routine (bulking) for a period of time, and eating a deficit while maintaining a lifting routine (cutting)

It works on the principle that you cannot gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously. (Excepting newbie gains which is witchcraft) So you need to do each at different times. You bulk and provide your body with extra calories to build muscle (and some fat) and then you cut and reduce your calories to remove the excess fat, then you rinse and repeat, each cycle adding to your muscle and reducing your fat % a little more
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

She is awesome!
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options

It's the process of going through cycles of deliberately eating a surplus while maintaining a lifting routine (bulking) for a period of time, and eating a deficit while maintaining a lifting routine (cutting)

It works on the principle that you cannot gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously. (Excepting newbie gains which is witchcraft) So you need to do each at different times. You bulk and provide your body with extra calories to build muscle (and some fat) and then you cut and reduce your calories to remove the excess fat, then you rinse and repeat, each cycle adding to your muscle and reducing your fat % a little more

Ahhh ok Thanks both.

Yesterday I joined a free weights gym and tomorrow I go for my induction... I'm hoping to begin stronglift or something... Im sure these definitions will soon be familiar :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!