Does anyone run with your dog?

Options
I have a greyhound I adopted off the track last summer. I'm wanting to get into some running, and was thinking of taking the dog with me. Save some time so I don't have to worry about walking him separately and then getting my run in!

I have a rather awkward question about running with a dog. How do you deal with having to pick up after your dog while you're out? I really don't want to have to run with a bag of poop in my hand. I have a fanny pack (stylin', I know!) that I thought I could put the lovely sample in so I wouldn't have to carry it. But I've tried to run with the pack on before, and even when it's nice and tight I hate the bouncing motion of it. I am planning on running primarily around my neighborhood, so it's not like there's trash cans where I can just drop it immediately.

Surely someone must have a good solution to this problem? Or do people just put up with carrying bags of poop around with them as they run!? :noway:

Replies

• emilyjobson7
    emilyjobson7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think how you handle this really depends on where you live and how your town/city is set up. I run with my dog primarily in off-leash parks, which means there are usually garbage bins every 500 meters or so. I just pick it up and run with it to the bin. In some of the off leash parks it's essentially wilderness and trees, so if he's off in the bush it's acceptable to just leave it. I guess what I'm really saying is I pick my running routes to accomodate having the dog with me, so I don't really run in to this problem.

Sometimes my dog will go right at the beginning of a run and I know there are no bins for most of the rest of the run. In that case, I pick it up and leave the bag there, and grab it on my way back.

I have seen some people tie the bag around the dogs collar to carry, but I'm not sure if I could/would do that.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My dog wears a harness when we go out, and I tie the bag to the side of her harness and let her carry it. Obviously this only works if your dog is tall enough :-)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Not me. My knees won't let me but my daughter does with yellow labs.
  • 1965maggie1965
    1965maggie1965 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tie the full bag to the leash touching the neck of your dog. Or plan your run so that you go by garbage cans ie. schools, gov't buildings etc.
  • hebehrens
    hebehrens Posts: 55
    Options
    I think how you handle this really depends on where you live and how your town/city is set up. I run with my dog primarily in off-leash parks, which means there are usually garbage bins every 500 meters or so. I just pick it up and run with it to the bin. In some of the off leash parks it's essentially wilderness and trees, so if he's off in the bush it's acceptable to just leave it. I guess what I'm really saying is I pick my running routes to accomodate having the dog with me, so I don't really run in to this problem.

Sometimes my dog will go right at the beginning of a run and I know there are no bins for most of the rest of the run. In that case, I pick it up and leave the bag there, and grab it on my way back.

I have seen some people tie the bag around the dogs collar to carry, but I'm not sure if I could/would do that.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Thanks for the post. I'd really rather run around my neighborhood. My favorite park to run at in the area doesn't even have many trash cans - I'd still have to potentially run up to a mile before encountering one.

I've also never even heard of an off leash park! I live in Iowa though, if that helps. ;) Des Moines, but still. I also would never trust my Greyhound off leash....
  • hebehrens
    Options
    My dog wears a harness when we go out, and I tie the bag to the side of her harness and let her carry it. Obviously this only works if your dog is tall enough :-)

That's a good idea! He's certainly tall enough, and I even have a harness already I could use. I think I like that idea better than tying it to his leash up by his neck.... at least I wouldn't want to be slapped in the head with a bag of poop occasionally.... ha.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes and I tie an empty bag on the leash for just in case but thankfully never have to use it. I go in the evening and she never has to go in the evening. LOL!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    It requires a bit of training, but just don't let your dog stop to poop while you're running. I put my dog out for a solid 10 minutes in the morning, and if she GOES, then she gets to come with me, and she knows we WILL NOT STOP until the run is done. If she does not go, then she doesn't get to come with. Only took her a week to catch on, and now, while I carry a poop bag tied 'round the leash, I have never had to use it...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I usually just run in an area with trash cans.

Or the woods.

If there's trash cans nearby I don't mind running around with a bag of bouncing dog terd in my hand for 50 yards.

If I'm in the woods I just don't pick it up.

Actually I just don't pick it up anyways.
  • mycrobemini
    Options
    It requires a bit of training, but just don't let your dog stop to poop while you're running. I put my dog out for a solid 10 minutes in the morning, and if she GOES, then she gets to come with me, and she knows we WILL NOT STOP until the run is done. If she does not go, then she doesn't get to come with. Only took her a week to catch on, and now, while I carry a poop bag tied 'round the leash, I have never had to use it...

Hahaha...mine would poop in motion, just because it would be a fun new trick. I swear mine can go twice before we leave home, but still wants to find a nice spot on our route, just to show she's been there.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My dog runs alone.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My dog's crap record is 7 times in 5 miles. I choose routes with strategically placed dumpsters/garbage cans.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    My dog's crap record is 7 times in 5 miles. I choose routes with strategically placed dumpsters/garbage cans.

Good God woman!

What are you feeding that thing?
  • hebehrens
    Options
    I usually just run in an area with trash cans.

Or the woods.

If there's trash cans nearby I don't mind running around with a bag of bouncing dog terd in my hand for 50 yards.

If I'm in the woods I just don't pick it up.

Actually I just don't pick it up anyways.

So you're the reason dog poop keeps showing up in my front yard... Way to be "that" guy.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I never thought about potentially training him not to go during runs. Walks are frustrating. He could poop in our yard immediately before the walk, and yet he always goes TWICE on walks. Even on short walks, he'll notice we're heading home suddenly and it's like he goes "oh crap! I still need to take a dump twice! Better get on that!"
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Good God woman!

What are you feeding that thing?

It's only happened once. I think he just stored it up to spite me.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Good advice. May not work 100%, but dogs can learn that the run is a "work session" so to speak, and it's not time to stop and poop.

I still bring bags with me, though. And I run in my neighborhood. I will tie the back and set it in the street next to a curb, then make sure I hit that spot on my way home. Or carry it. Or tie it to the dog.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    No way I would tie the full bag to my dog's collar - I consider this animal abuse.

I carry a waist pack and drop the full bag in there until I go by a rubbish bin. If want to take my dog on a run, I should be prepared to deal with his poop.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    No one runs with my dog but me.:tongue:
    I attach the bag to his harness and make him carry his own $#!T:smile:
  • mycrobemini
    Options

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I never thought about potentially training him not to go during runs. Walks are frustrating. He could poop in our yard immediately before the walk, and yet he always goes TWICE on walks. Even on short walks, he'll notice we're heading home suddenly and it's like he goes "oh crap! I still need to take a dump twice! Better get on that!"

I think your dog and mine would be great friends. Same poop philosophy!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    How rural are you? My dogs get the luxury of running off leash and being able to crap wherever there heart desires in the desert. When I lived in the city I got one of those little doggy bag dispensers. My girls usually just pee though, but if they did leave a little present I'd just rip a little baggy off pick it up tie it off and look for the nearest trash can.

Glad you are going to take your dog for a run she needs it, if not more, as much as you.