Fitbit: fun gimmick or worthwhile accessoire

Options
2»

Replies

• viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've not had any of the problems that other people describe. It's never recorded steps while driving, for example. And it's a pain to get in and out of the holder for me...it would never fall out!

As far as the stairs, it's an altimeter. If you change 10 feet in elevation while moving, it considers that a flight. However, if you stop before 10 ft, it will not count it at all. If you can live with those "limitations" it's fine.

For most bi-pedal locomotion (i.e. walking and running), it is actually as accurate as you can get, assuming your sex, age, and weight are entered correctly.

Here's why 17000 steps may be only 200 calories more than 7000 steps over the course of a day, using my numbers as an example (F, 53, 131 lbs):

10,000 steps = ~ 4 miles. Assuming equal distribution across 8 hours, that's 1/2 mile in 1 hour. Now assume I walked that 1/2 mile at a 20 min/mile pace (reasonable for non-exercise walking) , so I spent 10 minutes walking that 1/2 mile.

My RMR is 50 cal per hr. Walking a 1/2 mile at my weight uses approximately 40 calories, so for 10 minutes (1/6 hr) I used 40 calories, and for the rest of that hour I used (5/6 * 50) 42 calories, for a total energy usage of 82 cal/hr.

So, sitting on my butt for 1 hr = 50 cal.
    Walking a 1/2 mile extra every hour = 82 cal
    Difference = 32 cal/hour x 8 hours = 256 cal/day

So yes, an extra 10000 steps can contribute only ~200 calories/day.

Your BMR/RMR is the biggest portion of your energy expenditure by far. It can dwarf the steps you take.
  • IliaShade
    IliaShade Posts: 20
    Options
    If it is tracing when you drive just go to activity and log the time you started driving and for how long and it removes the steps and stairs for that time frame :)

Great thing to know, I had this problem with other step meters and such.. I'm becoming more and more ocnvinced
  • rich1800
    rich1800 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. It's very motivational for keeping me moving as I am OCD about numbers. I have to get 15000 steps a day. I have lost 12 pounds since 01/01 doing little else but making sure I hit my step goals. It syncs perfectly with my fitness pal.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    I love mine. I got a Fitbit Zip, which is the cheaper model that does not record sleep patterns. It also doesn't have the problem others have reported of recording steps when you're in a car.

Like someone else mentioned, for me the biggest value has been realizing how sedentary I was on my non-workout days. I now make an effort to take many more steps during the day.

Also, the Fitbit website has a few graphs that MFP does not have, like a week's or month's view of calories burned compared to calories eaten, that are inspiring. For me, it was worth the $60.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I considered that one as well, but as I live in Europe it's impossible to use, as you cannot pay for their monthly subscription as a non america. Not to mention I 'd have to import as i doesn't get sold here..

Any other opinions?

Have you looked at Kifit. It's the UK licensed version. Are you in the UK. If not email them to see if you can use it elsewhere in Europe.

Thanks! I'm in the Netherlands but frequently order on Amazon.co.uk and other English websites. I will check it out :)

The issue with it is due to what country it's licenced in. For BMF you have to have avUSA or canadianaddress. Kifit have bought the licensing in the UK for the same equipment. Contact them to see if you can buy a subscription in the Netherlands. Buying from another country isn't the problem- you can buy used from eBay, its when you register the bank account for the subscription. You can get around this if you have a friend I another country whose bank account you can use.
  • karakreature
    karakreature Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit One for several weeks. I liked the sleep monitoring but for the most part, felt like it was an expensive pedometer. It doesn't measure aerobics or other exercises other than walking/running very well. Not what I thought it was. It has some nice features, very easy to use, and if you are a walker/jogger/runner, it's perfect for that.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I broke down and bought a bodymedia. Should be arriving soon. I did tell them that if I decided it wasn't for me, I would return. Their customer service was excellent and I hadn't bought anything at the point I was talking with them. Looking forward to trying it. Concerned about people asking me what I am wearing but, not really anyone else's concern. If they ask I will simply tell them.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit One since the beginning of March & I am very happy with it. I've lost 5lbs since then & increased my activity by 8% and am finially understanding what it takes to burn the calories I eat. I love the app & how easy it is to use & I really love the activity logs, its sooo cool to see how fast I'm running (just started C25K for the first time so its great to see my progress). Perhaps you need to be a gadget geek to really appreciate it but I really love mine!