The Seven Secrets of Slim People

Options
13»

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    My question is, if we are going to follow the "rules" of this book for instance, then do we still need MFP? I mean, do we still need to log and/or keep within a certain calorie a day?

I don't plan on counting/logging forever, MFP is a transition zone :happy:
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I did the Paul McKenna system a few years ago and lost 2 stone very fast and kept it off. I also haven't eaten chocolate since.

It only went back on when I got pregnant with my first baby- I was hungry all the time, probably becuase my body was trying to lay down fat stores for breastfeeding. Lost it all afterwards without trying

I have just had my second baby and had another hungry pregnancy....so I'm back to it again now except this time also tracking what I eat (I guess I'm taking no chances!). I am still doing-

When you are hungry eat something
    Eat what you want
    Eat consciously
    When you are full, stop
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My question is, if we are going to follow the "rules" of this book for instance, then do we still need MFP? I mean, do we still need to log and/or keep within a certain calorie a day?

It sure does help, doesn't it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Exactly...I'd stick with MFP though until you're pretty solid on what everything looks like and feels like from a portion standpoint...also from a nutrition standpoint. I've found that I've had to re-teach myself basically everything...If I had tried just eating intuitively a month into MfP or whatever, it would have been an utter disaster...because I'd most likely still eat total crap and think I was hungry when I was really just bored or whatever.

I think many of us here have intuition that has gone to ****....most of us have to re-learn everything. Kinda like training wheels on a bike...that's what MFP is.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LisaMBudd
    LisaMBudd Posts: 15
    Options
    I completely agree with the concept of this book and the original post. I was raised to clean my plate and eat with the family at mealtimes. When I was young this was not a problem because I had a very high metabolism and did not gain (I am about 5'8" and weighed about 110 when I graduated from high school). Unfortunately, I learned to eat for the sake of eating and to eat beyond being satiated. Now, at 45, I struggle with my weight. I've never been obese but I am definitely NOT where I want to be. On the other hand, with my son who is now 6, I let him eat what he wants, when he wants, and I don't force him to clean his plate or limit foods. I keep fruit, nuts, yogurt, vegis, etc. handy as well as chips and some less than healthy snack foods. He grazes all day and nine times out of ten he chooses his vegis and fruit first, then meat, then - maybe - a simple carb. Most nights he eats dinner when we do but if he is not hungry we don't force him. He would rather eat a salad than mac and cheese. He won't drink soda, he sometimes will eat a candy bar, his favorite snacks are carrots, watermelon, beef jerkey and once in a while potato chips. He is a perfect weight and extremely athletic (plays hockey, soccer, golf, t-ball, and swims, downhill and x-country skis). His eating habits are not taught - he eats what he craves. In seeing his eating habits and endless energy compared to mine at his age - I really wish I never learned all those "social rules." I am now learning to eat like him and to listen to my body more. I know now what foods make me feel like crap and what foods keep me satiated. I feel much better, am losing weight ( about 12 lbs now), and have much more energy. I believe we were built to listen to our bodies and nourish it as it tells us.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    The secret? Never get fat.
  • dogpeeps
    dogpeeps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I lost over 60# eating this way when I was younger, so it DOES work. I've recently lost over 60# (again) doing weight watchers and have now gained back 20#. (Not all due to falling off the wagon some is due to surgery/recovery and then injury.)

My heart is weary from CONSTANT focus of food/exercise (bordering obsessive sometimes) so I bought the book for $4 to refresh the theory in my mind

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this book. Good luck with your journey!