Tracking Fruit Calories - Edible Portion only?

Options
When I track calories from fruit, I weigh only the edible portion of the fruit. Is this correct? If not, I'm under reporting my calories, because an orange weighing 200 grams, only has about 130 grams of edible fruit. Does anyone know??

Replies

• prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    IMO,if it goes in your mouth, count it. If it doesn't don't. You wouldn't count the trimmings off of a piece of meat, so why count fruit peel.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    bump
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Better to overestimate than underestimate don't you think...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    How am I supposed to know if you are using nutritional information with an edible conversion factor in or not?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    How am I supposed to know if you are using nutritional information with an edible conversion factor in or not?

Yes, that is my question. When MFP lists: Orange, 100 grams, 49 calories, Does that mean I weigh it before I peel it or after?
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Nobody got fat eating oranges, I say count the reasonable portion or don't do the grams and just look for 1 large orange, 1 medium orange, etc. It will balance out in the end.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Yes, that is my question. When MFP lists: Orange, 100 grams, 49 calories, Does that mean I weigh it before I peel it or after?

Weigh it without the peel. Only weigh the part you eat.
  • frazzlecg
    frazzlecg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    IMO,if it goes in your mouth, count it. If it doesn't don't. You wouldn't count the trimmings off of a piece of meat, so why count fruit peel.

Wow, some people woke up this morning with a good case of b*tch attack.

She's asking a decent question. If you don't know, don't be a female dog about it.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    FIRX U PEEL DA APPLE, DEN YOU WAY IT, DEN U EAT IT.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Nobody got fat eating oranges, I say count the reasonable portion or don't do the grams and just look for 1 large orange, 1 medium orange, etc. It will balance out in the end.

I always try to find the ones that say, like mentioned, One Large Orange/Banana/Whatever... If I'm over, then I'm over... I'd rather be over than under on the calorie tracking.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Grabs popcorn .... ermmm I mean fruit....
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I believe that it is the weight of the item before peeling. With an orange it is no big deal but with an avacado it is.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Fruits like oranges and bananas, I weight when peeled. Cherries, plums, apples, I weigh pit (or seeds) in. I'm not going to worry about the 5 or 10 grams worth of seeds, cores, pits. It just isn't worth it to me. For the most part, that weight will correlate with 5 or less calories. It really just isn't worth my time to weigh the whole fruit, eat around the pit, weigh the pit, subtract the weight of the pit from the whole then log it.

Even if the weight is in the database as including the peel (or pit/core/whatever) if you aren't eating it, it shouldn't be included. The peel surely has calories but I'm not going to log them if I'm not eating them.

Point is, I weigh the edible part only unless it's too much hassle, then I don't worry about it and weigh the whole thing.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options

FYI. I've gained weight before overeating fruit. So don't say nobody.

I didn't say fruit, I said oranges. They are a pretty citruicy fruit, and wouldn't make you gain the way eating 10 bananas a day would. I had a friend who was doing WW with me, where they do zero points for fruits - and she would have a "smoothie" every morning stuffed full of about 4 cups of fruit, and couldn't lose. Well duh - the guideline is reasonable amounts. I say count it, but don't fret over if it's 60 calories or 80 calories.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

It's a user created database. You need to check everything yourself, especially for that kind of accuracy. MFP is more of a calorie counter/calulator than a nutritional information resource.