Breastfeeding & Fitness Pal

Options
Is anyone out there breastfeeding and using fitness pal to track their calories and lose weight? I know it's supposed to be a slow steady weight loss while nursing, but I'm at a standstill and I've still got a good 20lbs to lose. I'm getting really frustrated. My babe is 8 months old now and breastfeeds 5-6 times a day, and doesn't through the night. When she was first born I allotted 500 additional calories a day for breastfeeding. Maybe it's time to knock a few off and maybe only use 250 or so and see if that helps the scale get moving again? I'm also working out at Curves 3 times a week minimum, as well as walking/jogging my treadmill 1-2 times a week. I'm trying REALLY hard not to obsess about the scale but it's gettign hard. She's my 4th baby.

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    As time goes on, the breastmilk you produce is less fatty and does use less calories to make. I always found that the 500 calories was too much for me. Taking it down to 250 should still leave you with enough calories to continue producing good quality milk and should help you lose weight.

You could probably talk to a lactation consultant for better advice. I spoke to one when I was trying to lose weight and she told me that as long as I had fat still in my body and maintained a decent calorie level, I would be fine. I nursed my daughter for 22 months and lost plenty of weight.
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Me! My darling is 14 months old soon and still feeds 6x including twice at night. I've allowed 300 calories for that
  • Nikkie82mom
    Options
    For people who are exercising, are you eating those calories or leaving them alone?
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight while breastfeeding, I didn't eat back exercise. I was doing weight watchers and they say that exercise calories are optional.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This link has a calorie calculator for nursing moms, as well as some good info on figuring calories. But if you start losing your milk, I would add the cals back in, and/or cut back on the workouts. You can always lose weight faster later, without losing your milk now.
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm
  • jenwrath
    jenwrath Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's an entry in the food database for breastfeeding by ounce. If you have an idea of how many ounces you're producing you can calculate it that way. I'm 6 months post-partum with baby #3 and am doing it this way. Keep up the good work! I find that my body reeeeally hangs on to weight when I'm nursing so it's a tough balance. Hopefully you'll find the right mix soon and see more progress. :)
  • Nikkie82mom
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea how many ounces. I've never pumped a day in my life, lol. I got measured at the gym today and was down over 5 inches overall since the end of February so I'm actually really happy about that. The scale only showed a 3lb loss, but 5" is impressive (in my books). I am going to keep doing what I'm doing.

With babies 2 & 3 I did Weight Watchers as well, and I lost the weight pretty quickly without any exercise. I don't know if it's my age that is making it harder to lose this time around (I'm a whopping 30 lol) or what, but this weight does not want to budge!
  • Chocoholic55555
    Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that breastfeeding burns 3 calories per minute if feeding. I created a custom food of -2 calories per minute (to be on the safe side) and add in the amount of minutes I feed per day.
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    500 cals is only ebf once baby is established on solids and feeding less you burn less cals as you produce less milk 250 cals would be what i would give myself
  • Nikkie82mom
    Options
    She hasn't cut back the amount of nursing sessions yet. She is sleeping through the night, so we aren't nursing from 8pm-8am (usually) but during the day it's still averaging every 2 hours,
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm eating back at least half or all my exercise cals and still losing