Catholic MFPs, Good Friday Fast?

Options

Replies

• prillygirl
    prillygirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting. What I did for Ash Wednesday was try to keep at 1200 calories. Since MFP scolds you when you go under, I eat enough to get my daily intake, but it really isn't much. I abstain from any "extras": chips, candy, soda, etc...
    And obviously, no meat.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if there are many practicing Catholics on MFP, but if there are, I was wondering what you plan to do for your Good Friday fast? Are you going to do it? Are you just going to eat your calories after sundown? On Good Friday I normally fast for the day drinking lots of water then have soup after sundown. I'll probably do that again this year, but I'm sure my friends will be all in my face about not eating enough calories.
    I'll have 1-2 very small snacks during the day and a 'meal' after sundown-meal being much smaller than a normal meal...
  • bellyboosmom
    bellyboosmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am a practicing Catholic, but I will not be fasting tomorrow. I gave up the fasting days years ago, though my family still participates. I don't eat meat on Fridays though. I completely understand you wanting to stay true to your faith and rituals. Good luck to you.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    First giving stuff up for lent, and now this? Why does the Catholic church want you to be unhappy? Jesus wouldn't have fasted. He'd have eaten the **** out of his Passover meal.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I fast from 12-3....thats how we were taught. U fast during the time Jesus was on the cross/suffering
  • eratess
    eratess Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also, I haven't considered myself Catholic since shortly after my confirmation... However, if your 'friends' give you grief for something that is not a common occurrance (or unhealthy as a singular event) - they may not be such great friends.

Do whatever feels right, for you. Let the grievances wash away like water off a duck's back. If anyone is particularly ignorant or rude, address it accordingly. :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i usually liquid fast with 0 cal drinks on ash wednesday and good friday. i did a liquid fast already for ash wednesday, and i am going to try and fast tomorrow as well. i will be on the road for a 12 hour drive so it shouldn't be too bad, but will be with my boyfriend who will prolly say something about not eating. but who cares what others say, do you.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    This thread is divisive, reported.
    isnt any "discussion" ? do we noty all have our own opinoins and such? i think you are a little over sensitive buddy.
    The title is specific to Catholic MFP's there are groups for this.
    Just because it's specific to a certain group doesn't mean it's divisive. Save your outrage for where it's deserved. You'll have more credibility.

That's exactly what it means actually, according to the Community Guidelines.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

There have been a number of topics that have been posted directed towards particular religions and they get removed or locked because they are not inclusive of the community as a whole.

who the **** cares? if you're not catholic, don't click the thread. GMAFB

damn near every thread i post in, and every single pop tart thread is more divisive than this one WOULD have been if MidwestAngel hadn't said anything. good grief

hey- midwesternangel is my girl--- my fitness pal-- leave her alone.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Why do I feel like I should ask my priest why I've never heard of fasting on Good Friday and I'm 30?!
  • lifestruggle
    Options
    Of course Im gonna fast AND abstain. ;) 2 small meals that dont add up to a full meal. And one full meal. No meat or chicken. Check!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I don't fast but don't eat meat.

I only fast on ash Wednesday
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am not Catholic, but I suggest doing whatever you would normally do on Good Friday... if that means fasting and then having soup that's what you should do this year... ONE day for religious purposes isn't going to "hurt" anything... perhaps tomorrow morning you should make your status something like "Fasting 'til sundown but I'm sure I'll make up those calories Easter dinner!" If your friends can't understand one day a year then they need to move on.. they're holding you back spiritually!
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    isnt any "discussion" ? do we noty all have our own opinoins and such? i think you are a little over sensitive buddy.
    Just because it's specific to a certain group doesn't mean it's divisive. Save your outrage for where it's deserved. You'll have more credibility.

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

There have been a number of topics that have been posted directed towards particular religions and they get removed or locked because they are not inclusive of the community as a whole.

So by that logic should topics specific to groups like vegans, or people who only eat paleo be locked as well? They only pertain to one group of people as well. But that would seem silly (Im not saying they should before someone jumps on me)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Err what's wrong with you?!

HAHAHAHA! I was wondering the same thing. :laugh:
    Personal attack, reported.

ah... so you're bored on a thursday night and thought this would be a fun thread to troll... got it.

(at least I'm hoping that's what it is)

anyway, OP do whatever the hell makes YOU happy, and don't worry about what other people think/say. :smile:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm Catholic but I can't fast coz of my diabetes that I have to eat frequently to keep my blood sugar from crashing. Instead what I do i to "fast" on other things like lesser time on internet, no fb for whole day, no chat for whole day & no saying foul words (I admit that I frequently do it when I'm angry or shocked). It doesn't have to be just food.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, another harmless thread goes to **** because people are bored
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Wait, this is religious?

NO JOKES ALLOWED. :angry:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

So by that logic should topics specific to groups like vegans, or people who only eat paleo be locked as well? They only pertain to one group of people as well. But that would seem silly (Im not saying they should before someone jumps on me)

Yes! Anything that might exclude anyone should be reported!
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If this topic is insulting to anyone, I apologize. I was unaware that there are groups on MFP and that this sort of question should be placed in those groups. I don't know if there's any way of deleting it. Does anyone know if there is?

Thank you for those who have answered is a helpful manner. I am glad to know that following my usual fast should not be detrimental and is still something that I should do. The status update is a good idea too. I really appreciate that.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    If this topic is insulting to anyone, I apologize. I was unaware that there are groups on MFP and that this sort of question should be placed in those groups. I don't know if there's any way of deleting it. Does anyone know if there is?

Thank you for those who have answered is a helpful manner. I am glad to know that following my usual fast should not be detrimental and is still something that I should do. The status update is a good idea too. I really appreciate that.

You asked a legitimate question. That lady just felt like trolling.. Don't worry about it.