Iron rich foods

Options
yesIcan
yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
Does anyone know any good foods rich in iron besides spinach and red meat?

Replies

• yesIcan
    Options
    Does anyone know any good foods rich in iron besides spinach and red meat?
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    I was actually told by my doctor to avoid spinach when I am iron deficient because, although it has a lot of iron, it also has something in it that inhibits the uptake of iron.

Anyways, if you like liver, there is a lot of iron in that. Also, chickpeas, prunes, beans, lentils, and raisins. My doctor also told me to have orange juice or another source of vitamin C when I have iron containing foods as it helps your body absorb the iron better.

You can also buy supplements. Just make sure you get the coated kind so your stomach doesn't get upset.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When I'm on my period, I always have liver and onions to boost my iron. During chemo, one of my doctor's wives would specially prepare me a nice liver dish and serve it to me in the hospital. Here is a list of iron rich foods:

* liver
    * lean red meats, including beef, pork, lamb
    * seafood, such as oysters, clams, tuna, salmon, and shrimp, etc.
    * beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils
    * iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta
    * greens, including collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach, and turnip greens
    * tofu
    * vegetables, including broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts
    * chicken and turkey
    * blackstrap molasses
    * nuts
    * egg yolks
    * dried fruits, such as raisins, prunes, dates and apricots

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/nutrition/a/06_iron_foods.htm
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My two year old was bordering anemic so I had to find ways to find iron that she could adapt to. Anyway I found that you can get a good deal thru cereal right now she is on banana nut crunch kick but total is just as good. Also I mix lentils with bbq sauce and add it to meatloaf or rice. Also nutrigrain cereal bars and a good source. She eats at least one of these everyday along with her vitamin and her orange juice (the vitamin c comment is definitely right on it helps let the other nutrients absorb in). Good luck
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    asparagus & quinoa as well
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    figs
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Interesting information:smile: I learn something new everyday on here.
  • yesIcan
    Options
    Wow, thanks alot guys!