Am I able to do Tough Mudder?

Options
2»

Replies

• EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    the electro shock part is more "shocking" than painful.
    The harder obstacle for me that TM has is the tub full of ice that you have to dunk your head under.
    You can skip obstacles if you want.
    TM, as mentioned previously, is more about testing your 'mind.'
    - going through tunnels/narrow passages, jumping from high heights, going into extreme cold, and going through electric kind of stuff.
    Bummer thing about TM is that time is not recorded. So if you turn into a repeat TM participant--time yourself.

or do Spartan races.

Spartan races (I did the beast, so I don't know about the other ones) are more challenging on strength. Spartan races do not tell you the obstacles and if you fail or skip out on an obstacle you have to do 30 burpees.

Either one is a good time. Do it. Have Fun. Use TM/Spartan/Mud Runs/Any Cardio Events as a motivational tactic to improve your fitness and get a PR (personal record).
  • teachermegan
    teachermegan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good call on the hilly trail runs. Now, finding the time with a toddler and working full time will be a challenge. At the gym I can put my daughter in daycare and get my workout in. Time to line up some babysitters!

For those who have done it, do you stay cold the whole course after the ice bath and other cold water obstacles?
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it! My fiancé and I did last year and it was the most mentally and physically challenging thing I have done in a loooong time!

What I learned:
    --wear clothing that will dry quickly/moisture wicking fabrics, it will pay off in the long run.
    --gloves aren't necessary--mine got soaked as soon as we went through the first water obstacle so they were pretty useless for me after that
    --try to get your cardio stamina up (my advice, be able to go for a 6mile run by race time--you never have to run more than about a mile at a time but having the endurance for 6 will be great)
    --make sure you are comfortable with your team and/or strangers helping you out

The race is all about helping out others so have fun, get dirty and be safe!
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure, try seeing if there is a Warrior Dash or Spartan Race in your area before that. Those are kind of toned down versions of Tough Mudder, but same general idea. Use those to work your way up to TM. Whatever you do, good luck! And let us know what you decide to do, and how you do!