Cops in California (Santa Barbara)

lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
I know this is so not weigh loss or fitness related, but I've been trying to search for this for hours...:explode:

Does anyone have first hand knowledge, or any knowledge at all, if you can become a cop in California w/o being a citizen? He is a permanent resident and will not have citizenship for approximately 3-4 more years. We want to move out to Cali (specifically Santa Barbara), but don't know if he would be able to work there. I know for sure where we are now that he HAS to be a citizen (my Uncle is a Chief of Police in our city), so it's not like it would benefit us staying here. I found on LAPD's website that you don't need to be a citizen...but we don't plan on being there, nor do I or him want him to work for LAPD...I was wondering if this rule is state wide, or if it is contingent on the department...and if it is based on dept needs, does anyone know the specifics of SB?

Hope someone knows...fingers crossed...THANK YOU in advance :):flowerforyou:

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Do I have to be a United States citizen to be a California law enforcement officer, or can I be a legal resident alien and still apply for a peace officer position in California?

In accordance with Government Code Section 1031 and 1031.5, to be appointed as a peace officer in California, you must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship. Citizenship status must be conferred within three years of applying for citizenship. Additional citizenship requirements are stipulated for California Highway patrol officers, who must be U.S. citizens at the time of appointment (per Vehicle Code Section 2267).

http://post.ca.gov/general-questions.aspx
  • lwagnitz
    OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!! lol. This is very great news, as well :)
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    I don't have an answer.

But I live in Santa Barbara! I love it there. Perfect weather. Rarely rained at all.
  • lwagnitz
    I don't have an answer.

But I live in Santa Barbara! I love it there. Perfect weather. Rarely rained at all.

As long as I get away from all this snow in Wisconsin, I'll be happy lol