dry skin. Nutritional problem?

Options
2»

Replies

• whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    okay, I now have a few things to try --vitamin B complex (the one nutrition not available to monitor) here on mfp, fish oil (I am usually low on the fat column), and lots of lotion. I know most of the cause is winter and washing my hands constantly at work, but I have never had my hands be this dry before. Since I am on this weight loss thing, I wondered if perhaps I was missing something. I appreciate all of your advice.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Try using lotion for dry skin every time you get out of the shower. Reapply before you go outside if you notice that your skin is dry. It could be your diet but this winter has been really dry for my skin also. When I ate like **** I had very nice skin. This winter hit and bam dry skin. It won't hurt to eat foods that are good for your skin but please try lotion. Initially you might have to put lotion on pretty often, but as your skin gets better it'll be more of a normal usage a lotion if that exists. I believe lotion is one of the keys to youthful skin.
  • ajhugz
    Options
    oh and try a Biotin supplement. Its great for hair, skin, and nails!
  • ajhugz
    Options
    I have it, but mine's eczema. It usually clears up in the summer/fall when I'm outside in the sun (vitamin D, yo). In the winter/spring, I lotion up with cocoa butter after a shower and that mostly keeps it at bay, though it still itches like mad. My left middle finger is bad and I slather it with vaseline and try not to touch things for a few hours.

Have you trued Eucerin lotion? I had a friend in high school with really bad exzema and she said it worked best for her.
  • ajhugz
    Options
    ok last thing i swear lol... Try to take luke warm showers/baths or cold if you can stand it. Hot water will make your dry skin problem worse or last longer than it has to.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I always go to the health food store and find a oil I like like Cedar Oil and Rose Water or like Patchouli Oil and something of that nature and add a few drops to my bath water. It helps your skin feel great in the winter and its less oily in the bath water and it smells great. For the kids sometimes I add a couple drops of baby oil in the bath water in the winter.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Happens to e every winter from washing my hands in dry weather. We also use more antibacterial products which are very drying. When I switched soap to a more gentle soap my hands got better.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use a glycerin soap in the shower so most of my skin is fine only my hands and my cheeks (facial) are dry. I have no choice but to use a good soap at work. I do laundry for a living so I have to wash my hands when going back and forth between dirty and clean laundry (and from anything else and clean laundry) so soap and water washing are a necessity. I am going to do the lotion and gloves tonight (I have some cheap thin winter gloves somewhere). Tomorrow I will get some fish oil and vitamin B complex. I should get some calcium anyway.