Which is right?

ChubbieTubbie
ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have HRM watch and while biking I check it pretty regularly, and it says that in a 10 minute ride I am burning 105 calories. I know I am only going about 8mph, but I'm pretty out of shape and it's taxing on me, especially with wind resistance. When I use the exercise tab here, it shows that I would have to be riding 10-11.9 mph to get that sort of calorie burn, which I know I'm not. Which one should I go by? Same with walking--to get the same calorie burning figures here I would have to be walking at 3.5 mph, but the HRM shows I would burn the came calories while pushing my kids around in their stroller at the zoo. I'm more than a little bit confused, especially since I'm new to the science of weight loss.

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS go by your HRM. It's more accurate than the numbers in MFP. The numbers in MFP give a guesstimate of what you can expect to burn, but based on age, weight, physical exertion, temperature, etc., the actual calorie burn will be different for each individual. Your HRM is tracking your HR and has your personal information (e.g. age, weight, etc.) so it's much more accurate. Hope this helps!

Oh, and as you lose weight, don't forget to adjust your weight setting in your HRM just like on MFP because that will affect how many calories it calculates you lost. I did it after 10 lbs lost, just like w/MFP.
  • Go by your HRM watch. The site only does an estimate. Your watch is going by your heart rate. It is the most accurate
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    I also seem to burn about 10 calories every minute I am exercising...so that doesn't sound impossible. I guess I would go wil the HRM that should be more accurate the what's on MFP. I'm no expert though.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Thank you so much!!!
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Funny how people always insist HRM's are the most accurate...heart rate has very little to do with calories burned
This discussion has been closed.