To stretch or not to stretch?

Options
Hello all! I have heard a few different opinions in the past about whether you should stretch before and after a workout or just after. I personally like before and after b/c I feel like it warms me up for the workout. Thoughts?

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Bump to add to my topics.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I used to before when I first started, then I switched to after,now I've pretty much drifted away from it entirely around workouts.

Instead I do one long intense yoga session a week. I do stretch problem spots (flexors) and work on my active flexibility (shoulders, straddle, compression) more often then that.

I find general stretching though after workouts to be a waste of time. I saw no positive benefits whatsoever. I did it for about a year, stopped, and see zero reason to start again.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I enjoy stretching afterwards just as good relaxation, plus i think flexibility is a great thing to have and stretching after each workout helps remind me where i am at and where i want to be.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    depends who you ask. I stretch after every workout. something more thoroughly than others, but I always try and stretch a little.
    I don't beforehand though.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I find myself stretching all the time, before workouts after workouts, walking in the halls during work.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    if I'm running, I'll warm up with a short walk. If I'm lifting, I'll stretch after.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Generally rule is to stretch afterwards although I don't really do it and haven't had problems
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Generally, studies have been done that err against doing static stretching (normal holding a stretch for 30 seconds) before a strength workout or sporting event as it has been found to decrease strength. The point of static stretching is to stimulate the Golgi tendon organs to autogenically inhibit the muscle spindles within muscles and inhibit the antagonist muscle if you have a tight agonist muscle. As a personal trainer, I suggest doing self myofascial release(foam rolling) and dynamic stretches before a workout instead and do foam rolling and static stretching after the workout.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I stretch lightly after a work out and then usually do about 30 mins of deep stretching in the evenings.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Going by the "Insanity" method, you warm up for about 5-7 minutes, then stretch. Then stretch again at the end. I usually include stretching as part of my warm up (lunges, squats, stuff like that). Then do a little at the end, it depends on how hard I worked out.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't stretch cold muscles. A short cardio warm up then stretch then work out would be best. The cardio warm up could be walk for however long you seem fit.

I stretch after, too. Just because it makes me feel good.
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    do not stretch "cold" muscles. you can hurt yourself badly. I like to do a little warm up, then stretch, then the "heavy" work out, then another good stretch.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    yes, i love to stretch! ...and both times! before and after!! :drinker:
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I would have to put my research socks on to find you the articles (and I'm exhausted), but what I do is stretch if the muscles are tight or sore, but make sure it's not static. No bending over in a hamstring stretch for 20 seconds without any movement. The only exception to this for me is calves. I stretch those often simply because they are always tight. Otherwise, I can go days without stretching. A warm-up set, if necessary, is sufficient for me. And quite frankly, it's my injury-preventing routine. Static stretching can cause serious injuries if done improperly and some research I've found has found no need for it. I get warmed up and I go. And I'm pretty injury free with this mindset ;)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You should do a dynamic warm up, which is basically stretches while moving (lunges, high steps, cariocas, etc). Static stretching before activity is asking for a strain/injury. Static stretching is ok after a workout/run, just don't be jerky with it like a lot of people are.
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-Scientifically-Guide-Flexibility-Training/dp/0940149303

I read this book for my karate class. I never followed it for long enough to get results, but it has fantastic information in it as far as what types of stretches you should do before/after workouts. The gist is that you should do dynamic stretches before (leg swings, arm circles, etc.) and then the passive, relaxing stretching afterwards if you want to increase flexibility. However, it discourages stretching for runners, because stretching can make them less efficient.

If you have a chance, check it out!
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I never stretch, but I try to warm up before I do any exercising or lifting. I like to do 20 minutes on a bike or jog slowly to start. Never thought of stretching after, but I think I might try that.

Honestly I say do it if it makes you feel good, or don't if you don't have time. I think warming up is the biggest part of injury prevention, but I don't have any empirical evidence.
  • mouseketeer
    Options
    Stretching cold muscles really does nothing and could actually injure them. Definitely stretch after, at least 10 seconds per stretch.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Current research does not recommend stretching cold muscles. Start your workout with a dynamic warmup to get your HR up, get blood flowing to muscles, get joints ready to move, etc.
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    What my physician told me makes absolute sense and I totally agree with him.

Your muscles are like rubber bands . If you try stretching them when they are ice cold, they will snap. If you stretch before your workout you are more likely to pull something and it actually causes little micro tears in your muscles. Better to stretch AFTER your muscles are warmed up.

2 cents from me.