Accused of eating disorder because of diet..?

Almost 2 years ago I started getting healthy and losing weight. I was a little overweight when I first started using MFP and have gone down 3 pant sizes (I'm short so a little weight goes a long way with me.) I'm still not exactly where I want to be but am definitely a lot healthier. I never eat fast food, don't drink soda, can't eat wheat or dairy (I am gluten and lactose intolerant) and recently I have decided that I'm not going to consume sugar unless it is natural sugar. I'm pretty big on clean eating and if I'm going to have a baked good or something like that I always make them clean and organic.
My friends and family don't understand my way of eating and make fun of me sometimes or just don't understand my diet in general. They'll tell me that I'm already skinny and that there's no need to be as extreme as I am. I try to explain to them that I don't just want to be skinny but I want to healthy, be toned, and be proud of myself for working my butt off.
My friends and family have also accused me of having some sort of eating disorder because I'm so health conscious. It's not that I WON'T eat some kind of chemical filled processed food, it's that I CHOOSE not too. I also sometimes get sick if I eat something like that because my body has adjusted to eating clean.
Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else gets accused of having an eating disorder or being crazy? And if so, what do you do or say that helps you stay motivated and not down?

Replies

• JonnyR214
    JonnyR214 Posts: 228 Member
    i'm in your situation, just remember that this is YOUR life and nobody can tell you how to live it. Do what makes you happy and let the haters hate
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    I have a friend who is short and tiny and she always responds with something like it's a mental challenge for her, something that she control and decide what goes in her body, etc.

I get both sides. I'm thinner than a lot of my friends and they tell me I'm already skinny and don't need to lose weight. My ex in laws used to say I had a disorder but they were all very obese themselves so it was hard to respond without seeming critical or judgmental. I usually just said that I like to be able to do certain activities (rock climbing, martial arts, etc) and that being lighter, fitter, and stronger helped me with that.

But then my own mother is like super super fit. So I always feel like I will never be as thin as she thinks I should be. And it's not just my mom, my dad and sister are a naturally tiny build and my brother looks like a personal trainer or possibly a super hero. I'm the fat one on my side of the family, but in a lot of other situations, I'm considered thin or at least normal so I guess it depends on your surroundings.

In both cases I try to balance my goals and the lifestyle I enjoy or want to enjoy once I'm more fit.