Replies

• AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bmp
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and I'm at goal weight. Unfortunately, my upper body is too skinny and I'm still holding on to extra fat in my belly, butt, and thighs. I'm doing lots of push-ups and upper body exercises, as well as squats, lunges, and crunches. My arms are looking pretty good already. Hopefully I will develop some decent pecs to cover my ribs so I don't look too skinny, and then I can try to shed more fat to reveal the muscles I have in my lower half. I just need to be patient and remember that this is a long process and the results won't come overnight.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    25508_1358600760733_3148994_n.jpg
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and I've found that dead lifts, squats, lunges, and working my upper body a little more has definitely helped. I'm still holding onto weight there but it's coming off a little at a time. Congrats and great work on your progress so far!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    bumping for when I have time
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss thus far!

Unfortunately, there isn't anything we can do to target specific areas for fat loss. That just comes with time, patience and a steady (realistic) calorie goal. You can make muscle gains, by targeting large muscle groups though! Skip the hip abductor and do some weighted squats, lunges, deadlifts and kettlebell swings (not all on the same day.) All my favs for lower body work.

I'm a pear too but consistent training has really changed my body composition. I'm still mostly hips and butt, but at least they're muscular and shapely now =)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, bench press.. all you need for life. I found running seemed to make my thighs smaller (less fat, more visibly stronger)

Doesn't hurt to workout other areas of your bodies (the answers about spot reducing make me want to go :explode: ) but don't expect to lose fat from your stomach just by doing a bunch of crunches or ab stuff. Working that area along with other muscle groups and a bit of cardio will get you a long way.
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'2 pear also. Someone hit the nail on the head with their reply along the lines of "losing weight in your face without doing face exercise" LOL!! So true! I lose from the top to the bottom. My shoulders look tiny so I hope to build them up while toning down my mega hips. Although I've just started exercising and joined MFP last Monday, I'm doing total body workouts, too soon to see any results. Fingers crossed!
  • nay038
    nay038 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cardio will give you overall weight loss it does not discriminate your bottom half will soon start to shed as well as your top half
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and losing lots of weight but it seems like the more weight i lose the wider my lower stomach, thighs and hips seem. I cant do too much about my stomach because it agitates my chronic pelvic pain. So for my thighs im doing leg curls, squats, and using the seated hip abduction machine.
    My waist is but it has this roll that hangs over it so it hids my waist. For that im doing side sit-ups but it feels like its missing the part where the roll is. Looking for some help.
    What strength training exercises are work best to shape your waist, hips, thighs, and butt???

What I plan on doing is doing regular weight training and as hard aerobics as I can and just letting my body lose weight as it will and then focusing on reshaping my body when I get to goal. From what I have read here you cannot gain muscle while you are on a calorie restriction but it helps with fat loss. When I was thinner years ago I did find that running helped me lose from the lower body better than any other type of exercise.