How to cut carbs for dummies?

Options
The title says it all. There are probably a million posts on this already but oh well. I really need help in this department. I'm usually under on my calorie goals (with exercise) but over on my carbs. I am assuming the most obvious answer is to eat more vegetables but I am a picky eater..it's not just about taste..it's about the textures. Just wondering what to do.

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    You're under your calorie goal?

Do nothing.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Like you said you're already on a Caloric deficit, the weight will go down as far as that. If you're trying to get rid of some water weight then yeah you could lower the carbs but honestly if you're working out you're probably burning most of the carbs since they're fuel to the body.

Any how you asked how to lower your carbs and since I can't see youre diary how high is too high and how low would you like them to be? ex. I hit 78 carbs yesterday that was over 1/4 of a cup of home made beans and 1 large banana i added a protein bar later that day each of this things has about 25g of carbs, tomorrow I am trying to max out on the weights so I went a bit high today something like this, Power bar 25g, banana25, beans25, and 8 scoops of cyto carbs 2 throught out the day thats 104g of carbs (52 per serving 4 scoops)

Its quite a read I know sorry about that but let us know where all these extra carbs are coming from, if its snacks there you go... if its pasta just cut down on them,..
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    What are your carbs set at?

Maybe your carb goal is too low?
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    I do eat a lot of whole wheat pasta with ground turkey and spinach...but it's for lunch at work because it's so filling and easy. But still..hmm..

also my carbs are set at 191
    Options

Do nothing.

Sounds good to me. haha seriously.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I cut my carbs using a knife. And then I cut them into even smaller pieces with my teeth.
    Options
    I cut my carbs using a knife. And then I cut them into even smaller pieces with my teeth.

NO WAY!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The title says it all. There are probably a million posts on this already but oh well. I really need help in this department. I'm usually under on my calorie goals (with exercise) but over on my carbs. I am assuming the most obvious answer is to eat more vegetables but I am a picky eater..it's not just about taste..it's about the textures. Just wondering what to do.
    It sounds to me you could really benefit from taking a basic nutrition course. First, not sure why anyone would purposely choose to eat UNDER calories unless there is an ED present. Second, most vegetables are mainly a source of carbohydrate, one of the three macronutrients(the other two are protein and fat). Third it seems that your carbohydrate level is too low. If you like to get less carbs try a ratio of 40/30/30 akin to the zone dietary guidelines). Forth whole grain pasta Is a complex carbohydrate.
    Fifth... Hopefully, before its too late, you'll realize how important it is to address your overall health, fitness and well-being and not worry so much about the stupid number on the scale...
    Good luck to you
  • Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options
    To make it simple:

To answer your question- Most carb heavy foods that you're probably consuming are rice, grains, vegetables, breads, potatoes.

To point out- don't worry about how many carbs you're getting and focus on the bigger picture until you've progressed more

Lastly- more carbs are a good thing if you want energy for your workouts.

Good luck!
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Do nothing.

i think i love you
  • Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options

Do nothing.

i think i love you

Do you watch any of vitalyzd's videos, miss nutella?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    We can't see you're diary, so we can't do much other than generalise.

But YOU can look at your diary, and see where your big carb hitters are. The pasta is probably a biggie, but there might be some sweet stuff in there too. Look over the last week or more's entries, identify the big carb input each day, and then think about ways to change it.

The easiest way would just be to eat less of your pasta etc.

But....what they all said. Hit your calorie goal first before worrying about the others.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Do nothing.

i think i love you

Do you watch any of vitalyzd's videos, miss nutella?

No! what are they about?
    Options
    It sounds to me you could really benefit from taking a basic nutrition course. First, not sure why anyone would purposely choose to eat UNDER calories unless there is an ED present. Second, most vegetables are mainly a source of carbohydrate, one of the three macronutrients(the other two are protein and fat). Third it seems that your carbohydrate level is too low. If you like to get less carbs try a ratio of 40/30/30 akin to the zone dietary guidelines). Forth whole grain pasta Is a complex carbohydrate.
    Fifth... Hopefully, before its too late, you'll realize how important it is to address your overall health, fitness and well-being and not worry so much about the stupid number on the scale...
    Good luck to you

I'm under my calorie goal, most days, WITH exercise.
    I'm not purposely trying to be under it. And I'm definitely not worrying about the number on the scale, just wondering if I'm consuming too many carbs is all :]
    Options
    To make it simple:

To answer your question- Most carb heavy foods that you're probably consuming are rice, grains, vegetables, breads, potatoes.

To point out- don't worry about how many carbs you're getting and focus on the bigger picture until you've progressed more

Lastly- more carbs are a good thing if you want energy for your workouts.

Good luck!

Ok, awesome! Thank you :]
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Do nothing.

Sounds good to me. haha seriously.

He was serious.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else saying not to worry about cutting carbs if you're meeting your calorie goal.

However, you did mention that you have texture issues with veg, which is something I have too. Thing is, vegetables have a whole range of textures - cucumbers are distinct from tomatoes, cooked broccoli is different from spinach, and cooking makes a difference too, as demonstrated by boiled carrots vs stir-fried carrots vs raw carrots.

So, if you want to up your veg, figure out what textures bother you and then try vegetables with a different texture. Or disguise them - when I make scrambled eggs, once the oil is heated I add about a quarter cup of grated zucchini (using a cheese grater) into the pan and cook that a bit before adding the eggs.
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on mine as well but I eat a LOT of bread, which is bad. But I also try to do at least a little exercise every day plus I try to eat a lot of fruit, also very carb dense.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Beef. It's what's for dinner.

And for all those earth pleasers

No hormones, no GMO, grass fed BEEF. It's what's for dinner.

I think I'll bite into my juicy steak right about now