What Constitutes As Exercise?

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    I don't count anything like that. If you do, you're basically just taking that much more of a chance that you are going to sabotage yourself. Overestimating exercise and underestimating intake are the two biggest reasons that people who calorie count to lose fat have troubles. A little bit of extra activity during the day just gives you a wee cushion to protect against sabotaging yourself so easily.

Not quite right at all. I lost my weight quickly logging it, I am still losing it logging it. Not everyone is the same.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    I dont log it unless I put on my HRM
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    I think this only really matters if you are then eating the calories back.

If you are then to log cleaning would be daft, Gym & running yes.

If you are not eating them back then log it graph it and get some motivation from it, if you want??

It's your body after all.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    I log anything that doubles my heart rate. or takes me over 100bpm. but that's me, anyone who says don't log it unless you change into gym gear is an idiot.
    Log what you want, In the end if you log a single square of chocolate "27 calories" why not log a 10 minute walk to the shops at 3mph "42".
    What is the difference whether you ate it or you burnt it...
    if you have a problem with logging minor burns then don't, but don't try to "guilt out" people who want to log each victory.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I only count things that would make a difference if I stopped doing it. Household cleaning, cooking, walking around normally in the course of a day is just incidental activity. ACTUAL planned walks or gym activity, gets counted.
  • daddydog69
    daddydog69 Posts: 17 Member
    I log my gym stuff, and I walk at golf, so I log that....it helps me justify my course energy beers...
  • If i sweat I log. If i don't sweat I don't log
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    I feel that if it's part of my daily routine, which I already factored in to my settings, I don't count it. If I do something outside of that routine, for at least 30 minutes, then I log it. Agree that everyone is different and as long as things are working, don't worry! :smile:
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    I log anything that doubles my heart rate. or takes me over 100bpm. but that's me, anyone who says don't log it unless you change into gym gear is an idiot.
    Log what you want, In the end if you log a single square of chocolate "27 calories" why not log a 10 minute walk to the shops at 3mph "42".
    What is the difference whether you ate it or you burnt it...
    if you have a problem with logging minor burns then don't, but don't try to "guilt out" people who want to log each victory.

Calling people idiots because they don't have the same opinion as you is pretty rude. I haven't seen anyone "guilting" anyone. OP asked a question. People are telling OP what they do. Doesn't justify being called idiots.
  • daddydog69
    daddydog69 Posts: 17 Member
    http://www.changingshape.com/calculators/calories-burned/

This is a neat site that calculates non traditional activities....I use it along with My Pal......
  • you can call it whatever you want if it makes you feel good of course you be lying to your self by calling it exercise.
    Exercise could be consider any effort you make out of the norm.
    example:
    Scratching my butt is an effort I can count 1 calorie
    Walk to pick up the mail is an effort 4 to 5 calories
    Moving from my bed to the refrigerator is an effort 5 calories
    Taking a cold shower a super effort 40 to 60 calories your body needs to work extra hard to maintain your body temp.
    Walking is light to no effort - light running better - running is an effort
    Point is if you want to define anything is exercise you can. But exercise = stay out of your comfort zone the other solution is to consume less and less calories..
  • You can set yourself as lightly active because this is part of your daily routine, then it is factored in your calorie profile.

I log anything that cause my heart to pump. That includes my dog walks that are 2-4 miles and between 40-60+ mins.
  • you can call it whatever you want if it makes you feel good of course you be lying to your self by calling it exercise.
    example:
    Taking a cold shower a super effort 40 to 60 calories your body needs to work extra hard to maintain your body temp.
    Point is if you want to define anything is exercise you can. But exercise = stay out of your comfort zone the other solution is to consume less and less calories..

How exactly is walking light to no effort? Please explain the many people on MFP/the web who have lost and are losing weight by walking for exercise?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    you can call it whatever you want if it makes you feel good of course you be lying to your self by calling it exercise.
    example:

How exactly is walking light to no effort? Please explain the many people on MFP/the web who have lost and are losing weight by walking for exercise?

Yeah I would like to know as well. I walk over 20km a day. No effort? I will walk to grab a light globe, I walked 17km to get one. I took the long way, to the furthest supermarket. I walked 12km to get my haircut, in the rain. I walk to get the shopping, will carry 3kg dog food, as well as a backpack full of food. I'll do that on a daily basis. I'll go down the beach & walk till I hit 20,000 steps. It will take me 2 hours. I'll walk everywhere, in fact next week I'm picking up 4 mascara I got off a deal for $4, I'm walking 22km to go get them.

How is that a light to no effort? I can eat more, but I can't eat it all. I burn off over 1000 cals a day just through walking. Add my gym sessions on top of that.... cause I'll walk the 2.5km there & the 2.5km back...but I will pop into the supermarket next to it, grab some shopping (remember the backpack full) an walk back with it. I do Walk at Home...I'll do 5 miles no problem....then STILL go to the supermarket..... 5km round trip.

I don't understand how people do NOT class walking as exercise. Doing nothing is not exercise. Walking is.
  • JNFRV
    JNFRV Posts: 6
    I would say if the activity noticeably gets your heart rate going, then log it. I have a list of 100 ways to get more exercise and there are some pretty common 'everyday' activities on there, but I doubt I would ever log prepping a meal as exercise. Although I have worked up a minor sweat and feel exhausted sometimes after making a big meal for my family of three, but not to where I feel like I just worked out....
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    IMO... In the big picture of trying to change to a healthier lifestyle being active plays a big role. This question can't be answered with a yes or no (as you can see from all the responses so far).
    Here is my take.... just be active... walk whenever you can to wherever you need to go. Log it if you want to keep track of how awesome you are for getting out and being active. It is a great way to track your progress if you, up to this point, hadn't been active.

Along with this activity you need to work out a little harder and log that too because that is just as awesome!
    The purpose of logging activity (maybe just my opinion) is so you replenish the calories your body burned so your body stays fueled.

Most of your daily activities should be accounted for by choosing your activity level during the set up.

Here is just another opinion of mine..... if you are counting walking that may or may not be already included in your calorie set up, be very careful going by the calorie burn you get from MFP. This could cause you to over estimate the amount of calories burned.

As for the lady that walks everywhere while carrying heaving stuff... you are awesome and you make me realize just how lazy I am LOL! Good for you!
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    you can call it whatever you want if it makes you feel good of course you be lying to your self by calling it exercise.
    example:

Yeah I would like to know as well. I walk over 20km a day. No effort? I will walk to grab a light globe, I walked 17km to get one. I took the long way, to the furthest supermarket. I walked 12km to get my haircut, in the rain. I walk to get the shopping, will carry 3kg dog food, as well as a backpack full of food. I'll do that on a daily basis. I'll go down the beach & walk till I hit 20,000 steps. It will take me 2 hours. I'll walk everywhere, in fact next week I'm picking up 4 mascara I got off a deal for $4, I'm walking 22km to go get them.

How is that a light to no effort? I can eat more, but I can't eat it all. I burn off over 1000 cals a day just through walking. Add my gym sessions on top of that.... cause I'll walk the 2.5km there & the 2.5km back...but I will pop into the supermarket next to it, grab some shopping (remember the backpack full) an walk back with it. I do Walk at Home...I'll do 5 miles no problem....then STILL go to the supermarket..... 5km round trip.

I don't understand how people do NOT class walking as exercise. Doing nothing is not exercise. Walking is.

How do you find the time to walk 22km to go pick up mascara??
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I feel that if it's part of my daily routine, which I already factored in to my settings, I don't count it.

So for people who go to the gym everyday? They shouldn't count their workout, after all, it's part of their daily routine..

I would count anything that gets your heart rate up and keeps your heart rate up for a prolonged period of time.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    I feel that if it's part of my daily routine, which I already factored in to my settings, I don't count it.

So for people who go to the gym everyday? They shouldn't count their workout, after all, it's part of their daily routine..

I would count anything that gets your heart rate up and keeps your heart rate up for a prolonged period of time.

I was referring to the walking as being part of the daily routine. Obviously going to the gym would be logged.

Edited to say: For the record.... if, during your set up, you select: Very active as your activity level it DOES factor in exercise

BMR x 1.725-hard exercise/sports 6 - 7 days/week
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    example:

How do you find the time to walk 22km to go pick up mascara??

Easy, I don't work.