(Diabetic) *kitten* Up in the Garden

Options

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a T2 that wants to be a gardener. I am hopeful for this year. If nothing else I am going to plant some tomatoes. it is hard for us to get started up because we both have trouble getting around. Our youngest son and his girlfriend seem interested this year and that will help us get off the ground. I look forward to losing enough weight to get around easier.
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just planned lettuce in my flower boxes yesterday. I'm also pre-diabetic. I'll send you a friend request too.
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a gardener and a type 2 diabetic. I have been doing raised bed veggie gardening over the last several year. I added three beds for this year. I'll be planting some cold crops this weekend! Nothing's better than fresh veggies from the garden!
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a gardener, type 2 diabetic & I'm trying to lose weight as well. We built a new house about 5 years ago so this will be the first veg garden at the new house.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I am T2. I also have a small garden-- herbs, peppers, tomatoes, and this year some spaghetti squash. Cannot plant yet though b/c of the frost- too cold here in Indiana. We have to wait until May to plant.

Welcome!
  • tracyschreier
    tracyschreier Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've googled "easiest vegetables to grow" and came up with tomatoes, peppers, summer squash and cucumbers. I'll probably just start with that.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I am also a Type 2 diabetic and somewhat of a gardener. I haven't lost a whole lot of weight doing it (my hubby does the lifting) but its great exercise. My gardening success attributed to using heirloom seeds only, so that I can re-grow with the seeds I've produced, I also use manure in addition to organic soil. I live in southern Cali so the cold is never a problem. I've had success growing corn, artichokes, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, avocado(tree, broccoli, red/yellow/green bell peppers, pinto/kidney/Lima beans, garlic, onions, squash, plus a whole lot of other stuff. I save my seeds so that I can keep an heirloom inventory of my own!
    Good luck to you!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am also a Type 2 diabetic and somewhat of a gardener. I haven't lost a whole lot of weight doing it (my hubby does the lifting) but its great exercise. My gardening success attributed to using heirloom seeds only, so that I can re-grow with the seeds I've produced, I also use manure in addition to organic soil. I live in southern Cali so the cold is never a problem. I've had success growing corn, artichokes, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, avocado(tree, broccoli, red/yellow/green bell peppers, pinto/kidney/Lima beans, garlic, onions, squash, plus a whole lot of other stuff. I save my seeds so that I can keep an heirloom inventory of my own!
    Good luck to you!

Wow---good for you! You should put up a blog to discuss your success and be a resource for others who want to do the same. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've googled "easiest vegetables to grow" and came up with tomatoes, peppers, summer squash and cucumbers. I'll probably just start with that.

Zucchini is probably the easiest of all (although summer squash is pretty easy too). One zucchini plant is enough to keep you and half your neighborhood supplied with more zucchini than anybody wants. lol I just saute it in a pan in EVOO with onion and garlic. It is delicious and high in nutrients, low in calories.

Another thing you can do with extra zucchini is to cook up a big batch and (if you aren't watching your carbs) make zucchini pizza. You take two frozen loaves of whole wheat bread dough, thaw them and let them rise a bit. Then you line a broiler pan (spreading it up the sides) with one of the loaves and put your zucchini mixture into that. Add a bunch of mozzarella cheese and a bit of good quality parmesan cheese over that and then add the other bread loaf on the top and seal the two loaves together with a water-moistened finger tip and crimp it the way you would a pie crust. Then you brush the top with olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic salt and bake in the oven until the top loaf is golden brown. It is amazingly good and serves about 12 generous servings. Anybody got any other vegetable recipes that they are fond of? Once we get vegetables, we need to know what to do with them. :wink:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Type 2 here. I've gardened my whole life, literally - I helped my Dad when I was a toddler. I now have a 35' X 70' vegetable garden. My wife takes care of the flowers and herbs.
    A garden is great. Will provide you with healthy delicious foods and provide exercise to you as well.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    :smile: Great response. I am not diabetic but it has been in my family. When I became overweight my sugar was teetering.
    I am a gardener though. I have planted Brussel Sprouts Broccoli tomatoes and Red Bell pepper for my veggies. I also have some flowers growing. I am no expert gardener, but I agree with this quote it is a very therapeutic and healthy thing to do. Good for you! :flowerforyou:
    I'm not a gardener but I am a T2 diabetic :-)

Gardening is absolutely a great way to counter T2. It requires you to do a bit of heavy lifting and hauling (great for improving insulin response) and gives you LOTS of time in the sun in the cooler mornings and evenings (which supplies Vitamin D in abundance---great for all health conditions). It supplies wonderful nutrients in the vegetables that you raise (crowding out the other crummy empty carb food items) and it lowers blood sugar from the exercise you get in weeding. What could be better? :smile:
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I come from a long line of avid gardeners, nothing makes me happier!

Tomatillos might be my favorite to grow next to Chard, both tough as nails and tolerate the blazing 19 hours of arctic sun we get to enjoy on summer days.

Fellow gardeners, feel free to add me!

Growing your own veg is like having a license to print money!
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am a horticulturist and I cannot start planting until after May long weekend!!!(Saskatchewan Canada) it drives me insane!!! I would say any low sugar veggies are good and even some with sugar won't hurt if you watch your levels. I love the sun and the therapeutic effect I get from gardening. I feel so calm and relaxed after I am finished any gardening.
  • Barbsunshine
    Options
    We cant plant here until after mothers day because we have been known to have frost that late into the spring. lost all my plants 2 years ago because of it.

Yeah, but those were mostly tomato plants. We should be planting cooler weather crops right now, like spinach, kale, etc. BTW, I'm married to Jaba, lol :laugh:
  • kosuski
    kosuski Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic, first year starting a garden as well. I'm doing container gardening as we don't own so I can't dig up the ground. I found a website to make my own earthboxes and I'm excited to start..as soon as this frost quits!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Another diabetic gardener here :-) I grow cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, kohlrabi, Swiss chard, green beans, onions, zucchini, jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, cucumbers, watermelon, strawberries, pumpkins and 2 lonely tomato plants for my husband ( I detest tomatoes) Used to grow corn, but I now have an intolerance and it's not one of the better choices for diabetics anyway. I also have an herb garden with basil, parsley, cilantro, rosemary, oregano and a couple of different mints. I've planted 2 apple trees that finally produced fruit last year and the property came with some pear trees that I share with the deer because I don't like Seckel pears

This year, I'm planting some raspberry and black berry bushes, kale and I'd love to try spaghetti squash. I'm also going to try some celery.

Nothing better than shopping in your backyard for organic produce!
  • 20ever
    20ever Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am determined to have a successful garden this year. Any one can add me here if they like. looking for new folks to connect with.

Diabetes is a motivator for me. i do not want it and I have an extensive family history of it.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gardener but I am a T2 diabetic :-)

Gardening is absolutely a great way to counter T2. It requires you to do a bit of heavy lifting and hauling (great for improving insulin response) and gives you LOTS of time in the sun in the cooler mornings and evenings (which supplies Vitamin D in abundance---great for all health conditions). It supplies wonderful nutrients in the vegetables that you raise (crowding out the other crummy empty carb food items) and it lowers blood sugar from the exercise you get in weeding. What could be better? :smile:

I would love to garden as I eat loads and loads of veggies, but sadly we don't have the space here. We are looking for a new house and have agreed it has to have lots of land. Just the thought of pulling up my own fresh organic veggies is making my mouth water. :-)
  • jabadahut
    jabadahut Posts: 16
    Options
    We cant plant here until after mothers day because we have been known to have frost that late into the spring. lost all my plants 2 years ago because of it.

Yeah, but those were mostly tomato plants. We should be planting cooler weather crops right now, like spinach, kale, etc. BTW, I'm married to Jaba, lol :laugh:

Yes dear
  • alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi Tracy -- I have a raised bed garden plus several flower beds around the yard. I love being in the yard as much as possible in the summer and can't wait until I can start mowing again!!

I was diagnosed about 3-1/2 years ago with Type 2 and did wonderful for quite awhile....then at Thanksgiving something switched off in my mind and I gave up on a lot. In January I saw my Endocrinologist and found out my A1C was back up around 9 (I had gotten it down to under 6 for over a year) so I decided it was time to start caring about me again and started on MFP for real.

Would be happy to help you by being a friend along your journey. I'm 55, live in Missouri with my husband, my mom and our dog. I stay home and take care of everyone with everything they need.