Marathon or half marathon training?

Options
13»

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for my first half marathon slated for April 2014. It's a year away...I have to bust my butt. I'm a crappy runner/walker/asthmatic. A year should be enough time to prep right? RIGHT?!?! :frown:
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've done something like 15 halves and 6 fulls in the past 4 years. In 2012, I ran the Disney Marathon, the Tinkerbell Half, the Madrid Marathon, the Chicago Marathon, and the Fort Lauderdale 13.1.

So far this year, I've run the Disney Goofy Challenge (Half on Saturday and Full on Sunday. We threw in the 5k on Friday for Laughs), the ING Miami Half, the A1A Marathon and the Coral Springs Half this past weekend.

I'm running the Keys 100 relay in May, and then taking the summer off from training hard, while I gear up for my first season as a Team in Training Coach.

I almost always eat something simple the night before a race, and tend to eat 2 Belvita breakfast cookies before a race or long run. I take a gu every 60 minutes or so on a long run. Also, in the days before a race or long run, I try to increase my water consumption and have a G2 every day.
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I'm a 5k runner but i like to run some half-marathons just for fun and to do something different :P

The next is the ASICS Golden Four , in June 30, here in Brazil's South ..

Be free to add me, i would like to have some runners like my friends in the MFP
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to the poster who said he preferred 5ks... they actually hurt way worse than half marathons. I'd way rather run at a comfortably hard pace for 13 miles than run as hard as I can for 3. Ugh.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I've done something like 15 halves and 6 fulls in the past 4 years. In 2012, I ran the Disney Marathon, the Tinkerbell Half, the Madrid Marathon, the Chicago Marathon, and the Fort Lauderdale 13.1.

So far this year, I've run the Disney Goofy Challenge (Half on Saturday and Full on Sunday. We threw in the 5k on Friday for Laughs), the ING Miami Half, the A1A Marathon and the Coral Springs Half this past weekend.

I'm running the Keys 100 relay in May, and then taking the summer off from training hard, while I gear up for my first season as a Team in Training Coach.

I almost always eat something simple the night before a race, and tend to eat 2 Belvita breakfast cookies before a race or long run. I take a gu every 60 minutes or so on a long run. Also, in the days before a race or long run, I try to increase my water consumption and have a G2 every day.

You are like a PRO
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Currently training for a 50K in July. I'm a 2x marathoner, a 13x half marathoner and a certified running coach.
    Certainly feel free to add me, but only if you're dedicated and committed...

April 20th: Asbury Park Half Marathon (NJ)
    May 4th: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon (IN)
    May 5th: Flying Pig Half Marathon (OH)
    July 27th: Great Cranberry Island 50K (ME)
    September 15th: Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half (PA)
    September 29th: Rock 'n' Roll Providence Half (RI)
    October 27th: Cape Cod Marathon (MA)
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my 2nd half marathon in less than a week on April 7th! i'm so nervous!
    Awesome! Tell us how it goes!! Good luck!! :smile:
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 1/2 marathon with my hubby on April 27th (holy cow, only 24 days away!!!!), it's the St. Jude's Country Music Rock 'N Roll 1/2 Marathon! I'm so excited! And then (because apparently I'm nuts and/or a glutton for punishment) I'm doing my second 1/2 marathon TWO WEEKS later on May 11th, the Go Girl! 1/2 marathon in Springfield, MO with my sister. I'm super nervous but also excited! Anyone can feel free to add me too, love supportive friends! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I actually just read about this in January and definitely want to do it! If I don't die on my 1/2's and can get my distances up in time to do a local marathon in September then I think my husband and I are going to try to do the Goofy Challenge in 2014. I'm a sucker for medals and I love that you get three medals and three tshirts for only two races! :drinker:
  • ckopeny1
    ckopeny1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am 5 weeks from my fist marathon. I have stuck to my same routine before long runs; english muffin with peanut butter when I wake up, banana and red bull for the drive and a 5 hour energy before I start. It would be great to have some new friends with the same goals ect. My longest run thus far is 18 miles and I have a 20 miler planned this weekend. Good luck to you, you will do great!
  • angbieb
    Options
    I'm doing my first 1/2 marathon with my hubby on April 27th (holy cow, only 24 days away!!!!), it's the St. Jude's Country Music Rock 'N Roll 1/2 Marathon! I'm so excited! And then (because apparently I'm nuts and/or a glutton for punishment) I'm doing my second 1/2 marathon TWO WEEKS later on May 11th, the Go Girl! 1/2 marathon in Springfield, MO with my sister. I'm super nervous but also excited! Anyone can feel free to add me too, love supportive friends! :happy: :flowerforyou:

Where is this 1/2? I want to do it!
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Pig in May, Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon. I'll be running the half while my son runs the full. I've ran that marathon before but this time I'm going to take it easy (if you can call it that) and stick to the half so I can enjoy the scenery. I have a bunch of 5Ks and one 10K I've signed up for plus I've signed up for the Columbus Marathon again this year, again doing the half. By the way, if you're looking for a great marathon to run, I truly recommend Columbus. I've ran that marathon twice and have ran the half three times. I've also ran 3 other marathons and found Columbus tops them. Granted there are tons of marathons out there and I read reviews on many that I consider. But I can't say anything bad about Columbus. Great support, great course (starts at downtown Columbus and goes all over the city including OSU stadium), great after-race food, great entertainment during the race and great spectators.
  • angbieb
    Options
    I am 5 weeks from my fist marathon. I have stuck to my same routine before long runs; english muffin with peanut butter when I wake up, banana and red bull for the drive and a 5 hour energy before I start. It would be great to have some new friends with the same goals ect. My longest run thus far is 18 miles and I have a 20 miler planned this weekend. Good luck to you, you will do great!

Wow! You've got a lot of long roads ahead of you...LOL:laugh:
    Good luck on your marathon! 20 miles this weekend...OMG!!!
  • angbieb
    Options
    I'm doing the Pig in May, Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon. I'll be running the half while my son runs the full. I've ran that marathon before but this time I'm going to take it easy (if you can call it that) and stick to the half so I can enjoy the scenery. I have a bunch of 5Ks and one 10K I've signed up for plus I've signed up for the Columbus Marathon again this year, again doing the half. By the way, if you're looking for a great marathon to run, I truly recommend Columbus. I've ran that marathon twice and have ran the half three times. I've also ran 3 other marathons and found Columbus tops them. Granted there are tons of marathons out there and I read reviews on many that I consider. But I can't say anything bad about Columbus. Great support, great course (starts at downtown Columbus and goes all over the city including OSU stadium), great after-race food, great entertainment during the race and great spectators.

That sounds like fun! You are putting on a lot of miles!!!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'll do the Dublin City Marathon in October.

Never done one before so going to aim high and go for sub 3.30 time.

Need to be able to run around 50miles a week, by July(training starts)

Currnetly run about 15miles a week.

Loads of time to train, what do you reckon?
  • angbieb
    Options
    I'll do the Dublin City Marathon in October.

Never done one before so going to aim high and go for sub 3.30 time.

Need to be able to run around 50miles a week, by July(training starts)

Currnetly run about 15miles a week.

Loads of time to train, what do you reckon?

I've heard Hal Higdon's training plans are really good...

http://www.halhigdon.com/

:heart:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

I actually just read about this in January and definitely want to do it! If I don't die on my 1/2's and can get my distances up in time to do a local marathon in September then I think my husband and I are going to try to do the Goofy Challenge in 2014. I'm a sucker for medals and I love that you get three medals and three tshirts for only two races! :drinker:

If you like the Disney medals, don't forget to go for the Coast to Coast Medal too. Do one of the half marathons at WDW, then do one of the half's at Disneyland in the same calendar year. :happy:
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Vancouver USA Marathon on June 16th... I'll send you a request!