WONDERING ABOUT H.I.I.T.

Options
Just wondering if anybody has some good info on H.I.I.T? I have done a bit of research on it and it looks interesting and i am wondering if there is anybody here that has tried it and if so what do you do? From what i could find it seems that I can do any type of exercise that uses all my major muscles? as long as I do it for 20 sec. rest for 10 and repeat for 4 minutes.... but I am wanting to know what TYPE i should be doing? I do kettlebells for 30 mins 3xs a week and love it but am wanting something to add to my workouts when i just dont have those 30 minutes to spare since its a challange with a baby to have all that time to myself at once lol .. ok thanks for any help you guys send my way!!!

Replies

• mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    so i've worked HIIT workouts into my treadmill routines. I've read a lot of the technical details...but it can get really really technical really fast. Basically most of the results have been based on studuies of cyclists and runners. I wouldn't recommend trying to work them into anything that seems like 'strength training'.

The time of the interval and intensity levels are flexible too. The big study on cyclists had them doing 45 second max 45 second easy pace intervals, against a control group that did the same average pace all at one time...results were really good for the HIIT group relatively.

For running people either do 1 of 2 ways - the classic, sprint for 45 seconds, walk for 1 minute way, or the way I like to do (which mimiks the cyclists' study more), sprint for 1 minute, run at easy/moderate pace (8-10 min mile) for 2 minutes. As to how many intervals, its usually anywher from 6-8 and the workout is meant to be more around the 20-30 min mark.

So don't know if that really answers your question....but i hope that you will avoid trying to do anything intervalish like that with weighted training sessions...you risk serious injury when you try to up your pace like that with dangerous movements.
  • size7again
    Options
    thanks so much for your help.. the site that i had a chance to look at gave much less info than you did so now i know more!! i definatly wont be using my kettlebells with the H.I.I.T. thats a bit too crazy but i think runnning is a great start!! thanks again