Almond Milk

Options
So this may be a silly question but I enjoy quick hassle free trips to the grocery store...

Where do I find almond milk. I don't think I have ever seen it, but then again I wasn't looking.

Also if you have tried almond milk... What do you think? I hate soy drink (although to be fair I have only tried it twice) Right now I am looking to mostly replace the milk in my coffee since I don't drink it much more often than for that purpose, but everyday I am very short on my calcium so I would be interested in finding a drink that would help out. I think that I want to cut out all dairy for a while and see if my eczema clears up so I need a good source. I am hoping almond milk may be it.

Replies

• mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    my kids now prefer Almond milk to regular milk or soy milk. To me it has a slightly nutty aftertaste, but if you like nuts no big deal. It's great in coffee!

In my grocery store they have it in two different locations, usually with the soy and lactose free milks in the cooler, and in a an aisle where they have "health" foods. hth
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells almond milk. I buy the vanilla flavored and use it in my cereal, but I like your idea about putting it in coffee. I will have to try that. I have never drank it straight up, but it is great with cereal. I have also seen it in Market Basket, but not the low fat vanilla. I have seen it in both the dairy section and on the shelf with the soy and rice milks. Not sure if you have either store near you, but another thought would be a Whole Foods, as I imagine that they would also carry it..
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I buy it in the organic section. Just be aware there is nowhere near the same protein content as soy milk or regular milk.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    The one I tried was absolutely disgusting and I tried it twice and gave up and dumped it out. HORRIBLE aftertaste, but no real taste, like water with bitter chemicals in it...

Anyone who LIKES it, PLEASE state the brand/type you think is good!
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk! At first I was a little wary of it, but it tastes SO MUCH better than cow milk to me AND it has fewer calories than skim milk :)
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    The one I tried was absolutely disgusting and I tried it twice and gave up and dumped it out. HORRIBLE aftertaste, but no real taste, like water with bitter chemicals in it...

Try Silk Vanilla Almond Milk... it's creamier, but still has an almond flavor (imagine that! lol) so if the almondy part is what you didn't like, it won't work for you. And the colder it is, the better.

To answer the question, Wal-Mart sells Almond Milk between the orange Juice and regular milk... nestled in with soymilk and lactaid milk, etc. at most of the Wally Worlds I've been in.
  • thirtyby40
    Options

I do have a picky palate, perhaps anyone who weighs in could give the brand name they like. Thanks in advance!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Honestly, I'm good with Blue Diamond, Silk, or Almond Breeze, but have decided that I prefer the refrigerated ones to the shelf-stable varieties. And I would start with the vanilla-flavored ones first. Silk may be the most mild to start out.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    I recently switch to Almond Breeze made by Blue Diamond....60 calories in a cup. I use that plus stevia in my coffee and I am very happy with it. I get mine at Trader Joes in the same aisle as the cereal.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    The one I thought was gross was called Almond Dream Enriched Almond Drink, I just looked it up in my diary. It was one of the shelf-stable kind. I will look for a sweetened vanilla refrigerated kind and give it another shot. Or maybe I just don't like it. We'll see!
    Thanks for the input though.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Almond Breeze unsweetened, chilled

Silk Pure Almond, Unsweetened

Both have some pretty good coupons available for them in the paper.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    We get Blue Diamond Almond Breeze from Walmart's dairy section. They hide it on the tippy top shelf with the lactaid, soy milk, rice milk, etc. We switched completely from moo juice (regular milk) to almond milk and love it. Might give Silk a try soon though.

Almond Breeze also has a chocolate variety which is fun if you don't mind drinking a hershey almond kiss
  • thirtyby40
    Options
    Just a little update. I went and bought the Almond Silk this evening. I just finished my first glass. I loved it. It reminded me of the liquid in the bottom of a dairy queen ice cream sundae. My mother was with me and tried it too, she hates everything she considers different, but she liked it.

Thanks to all of you who weighed in on the topic. Cheers!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Just a little update. I went and bought the Almond Silk this evening. I just finished my first glass. I loved it. It reminded me of the liquid in the bottom of a dairy queen ice cream sundae. My mother was with me and tried it too, she hates everything she considers different, but she liked it.

Thanks to all of you who weighed in on the topic. Cheers!

Glad you liked it! Yay Almond Milk! :drinker:
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I love Almond Breeze , 60 calories a cup, original kind !! I have found it cold in the refrigerated section with the other milk/soy milk and I have seen the shelf stable version with the other soy milks as well.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I bought Silk Almond Milk the vanilla flavor and had it in my cereal this morning. Oh my god, it's good!!! I LOVE IT!! I'm so glad I bought it. :bigsmile:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Vons carries it...if you know a brand of Almond milk, than you can go to their website, and see which stores carry it. I hate running around trying to hunt for stuff too.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options

Try Silk Vanilla Almond Milk... it's creamier, but still has an almond flavor (imagine that! lol) so if the almondy part is what you didn't like, it won't work for you. And the colder it is, the better.

To answer the question, Wal-Mart sells Almond Milk between the orange Juice and regular milk... nestled in with soymilk and lactaid milk, etc. at most of the Wally Worlds I've been in.

We like the Silk Pure Almond Original and Vanilla. We tried Blue Diamond and I think the other brand was Pacific, but still think the Silk is better.

In our grocery store Silk Pure Almond is in the dairy section with the regular milk.
  • Pikapinku
    Pikapinku Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've tried the blue diamond vanilla almond milk but I hate nuts to begin with so I really didn't like it. My biggest problem with soy/almond milk is how watery it is. I was only trying those though because milk makes me feel ill:frown: But I really like the Kroger Lactose free milk<3 It is really sweet compared to normal milk or so I have been told by my family.