Advice from runners please!

Options
Ok...so recently in the new found "me" I've tackled lots of things I never thought I would. Mainly being able to stick to working out pretty much every day, also doing Insanity which is as a lot of you know..well, Insane! With that, and being able to get thru all that ridiculous cardio, I decided to start running again and I entered a 9K. Certainly not intending on being able to run the entire thing, but hell I get to cross home plate at Fenway Park to finish! What's cooler than that?!
Anyway. I have been a jock my entire life, and I can do insanity no problem. But when it come to running I just well, SUCK at it! Yesterday was my first day and I ran 1.15 miles without stopping which is a personal best. Today just did the same thing. Kinda frustrated that I couldn't go further. Am I expecting way too much of myself right off the bat? What pushes you to continute when you feel like you just need to stop? I think my 5 year old could run farther than me! I need some advice, motivating words, etc.
thanks!

Replies

• polpocket
    Options
    Yes, you are asking way to much of yourself! I am a marathon runner and have been running for about 15 years- on a daily basis. Although your body may be use to 'working out' running is a completely different animal. Sometimes we thing just because we used to be able to do something, or because we are doing something else active that we will just pick it up. Lance Armstrong has been quoted as saying that running a marathon was the hardest thing he's ever done. That should put it in perspective. :)

Please tell me more.... when is the 9k, and when did you start running? I would be more than happy to repsond with an appropriate training plan, that will get you there....and get you there, uninjured!! Too much, too soon is a recipe for disaster when it comes to running!!! You can do anything from muscle, tendon, ligament tears to stress fractures- very common in 30+ female runners as our bodies start to get depleted of calcium. Other over-use issues within the knees, and shin splints can also occur.

Also, you will want to visit a local running store that specializes in running- and that hires runners to work there. They will analyze your gait, and measure your feet to make sure you're in the proper footwear- that's almost as important as the miles themselves!

Best of luck to you! I believe that anyone can do what they put their minds too!!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this happens a lot. When it comes to running you have to make sure you don't run too much to begin with. Although your lungs may be able to handle the running, you have to factor in the pounding you joints will take. Set a goal of say 5 miles the first week. Not per run, but the whole week. If you ran 1.15 miles yesterday, take today off. If you increase your mileage too quickly, you're going to injure yourself. I did that and got IT Band Syndrome. It's not cool. Anyway, try to increase your weekly mileage gradually. Just my 2 cents. How long until the 9k? BTW, crossing home plate at Fenway would only be surpassed in coolness by hitting a dinger over the Green Monster....
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    i could say a lot, since i've sounded like you 10 yrs ago but I think just saying the one thing I think you need most would be better.

i think the easiest thing you can incorporate into your next run is this: Run Slower at ONE speed. Its difficult to learn 'pace' and breathing when you start....and it can be embarassing to your ego to go so slow...but try it.. find a slow speed that you can breathe well in and do NOT up the speed even if you get more comfortable in the run. Then focus on TIME rather than distance initially....your body needs to learn how to stay in that groove for 30+mins at a time.

remember, your muscles and more importantly your skeleton will need a lot of time to get stronger before you think of doing anything seriously long distance (without risk to your body of course)
  • newbierun14
    newbierun14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner like yourself and on my first day I ran one mile and wanted to pass out. And then I wanted cry, I've only been out of high school 5 years, where I played sports year round, how had it gotten this bad? And then I decided to suck it up and change it. I think taking the first step is the most important one.

To build up my stamina and length of running time, I didn't pay attention to time but just distance, and I walked a lot. The trick is to mix in running with walking, so your heart rate is up the whole time. I started off walking a quarter mile to warm up, running(slow run) a quarter mile and continuing to alternate till I had completed three miles. As it got easier, a week or two would go by, I would run a quarter mile that I had been walking previously. And so on....

In about two months time I'm up to running the full three miles and the other day I pushed my self to run 6 miles.....all at once. The trick is just getting your lungs and heart used to running again, it definitely takes a while...but you can do it!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    What's cooler than crossing the home plate of Fenway in a 9k? Doing it injury free! It's good to push yourself, but pushing too hard-- especially with running-- will result in injury. I highly recommend www.coolrunning.com. It has lots of free training programs for all levels of runners. I started running in January, and am only to 1/2 mile continuous running, but I'm getting faster and stronger every day, and (most importantly) injury free
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on running 1.15 miles! That is something to proud of to begin with! The 9k is at the end of May if I remember correctly ( another MFP friend is running it too!) The general rule of thumb is that you should increase your distance only by 10% each week, so that doesn't give you too much time, but if you are okay with walking part of it I say go for it!!!

If you can try to build up to a 5k steady jog and walk throughout I'd consider that a more realistic goal! Whatever you do, don't give up! Running is the only thing I've eer done that I can feel myself improving, maybe just a tiny bit at a time, but there's nothing quite like it!

Good Luck!
  • fit4kim
    fit4kim Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "What pushes you to continue when you feel like you just need to stop?"

Health--is what pushes me. That is always on the forefront of my mind. But I use running time (workouts) as my time and I don't let things stop me from achieving my goal. I think of it as bettering myself physically and mentally. Music helps to push me, as well as my own thoughts. You can do this!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! If you need to walk for a bit and then start up again, go ahead. It takes at least a week or two to get into the swing of running.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    you need to BUILD up to being able to do it. I recieved FANTASTIC advice from a seasoned marathoner. run as far as you can one day(till u feel as if ur legs may fall off and lungs burst) then cut that distance in half the next day on the third day rest and repeat going further each time. I used that advice and HOPEFULLY Im making it all the way sunday....you can do it just set ur mind to it. and dont get crazy with training