Hypothetical 12,000 Calorie Meal

Options

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    oh i can normally eat 3 piled up plates and 2 dessert plates at buffets, and im pretty small
    just saying
    that would probably be like 4000 calories at least
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

Also, sorry to hear all those obese people make you sick. That must be rough to have to see that.

+1 :)

I should have been clearer. It's not the obese people themselves that make me sick, it is their actions at this place that is hard to watch. This place seats about 1200 and on the weekend the line to get in can easily be 100 yards long for hours. You see a lot of really heavy people eating huge amounts of food.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options

Also, sorry to hear all those obese people make you sick. That must be rough to have to see that.

sick = sad

I don't think its an "oh that's gross" thought but a "why would you continue to abuse your body like that?"
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Who would eat 12,000 calories in a meal?? Or even a day?? How is that even possible?

I have a friend that is a professional body builder, he regularly eats a ten thousand calorie breakfast.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I met some guys yesterday that I hadn't seen for 25 years

I'm only drinking a glass of wine a day since I started my plan on Jan 4 so I was unprepared for the 2 beers & bottle of wine I drank with the steak lunch

when I got home I vomited the whole lot up, actually it looked like more that I'd eaten :-)

on the 6 to 8 hours needed to digest & absorb theory does this mean that I didn't effectively eat anything at all for my diary?

I would log it and get a nice surprise maybe tomorrow on the scale.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    BINGO! The Shady Lady it is!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Who would eat 12,000 calories in a meal?? Or even a day?? How is that even possible?

It's honestly not as hard as you would think

QFT!
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    You've got to be referring to Shady Maple!

Ah, didn't see that you already said this. Yeah it's definitely got to be shady maple!

BINGO! It's about 2 miles from me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Michael Phelps (Olympic swimmer) has been known to eat 10,000 calories a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

sick = sad

I don't think its an "oh that's gross" thought but a "why would you continue to abuse your body like that?"

That's how it sounded, and now that the OP has explained herself, it's cool.

That being said, a LOT of folks talk about the obese in that fashion, and it gets old and demeaning. You really DON'T think they know they're fat? Quit making them feel subhuman.
  • Terrymichelle
    Terrymichelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't think that it would be impossible to do this. I being a small girl can EAT!!!!! My family members still look at my with their mouths wide open at how much I can eat. My husband... OMG! Can really really EAT!!!! His family LOVES buffets so we go more than any normal person should for family dinners. I would say in one sitting that it would be MORE than possible to do this at one of those places. Just imagine everything that is COVERED in butter and salt. It's all yummy but I would say not at all far from possible. 3 or 4 plates full plus an ice cream cone on the way out. I'm saying it's possible.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon of olive oil is 120 calories. 2 tablespoons of peanut butter is around 200 calories. Fat will get you there quick.

12,000 calories of lean meats...now that's challenge.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options

I have a friend that is a professional body builder, he regularly eats a ten thousand calorie breakfast.

Oh yeah, and Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps ate like that when he was training too....or maybe it was just the munchies... :laugh:
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    On April 13th 2012 Guinness World Records presented the Heart Attack Grill with an official certificate proclaiming... "Most calorific burger Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas includes in its menu the 1.444kg (3lb 2.94oz) Quadruple Bypass Burger packing 9,982 calories. It's 6.91 calories per gram (195.95 calories per ounce) makes it the world's most calorific burger as verified by Guinness World Records"

This burger is actually pretty good, ate it on a dare, barely finished it.....didn't eat dinner because I was still full. To the OP, the amount of obese people eating at this joint probably rivals the all you can eat buffet you described.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just added to my diary what I ate one night with my bikini competitor friend... we both had the same meal... she's like 115lbs and I was about 180lbs.

We EACH had:
    BJ's small pizza

We shared an order of avocado egg rolls
    We finished it off with a party platter pizookie (Read: PARTY PLATTER pizookie... 4 pizookies on a large pizza platter)

We finished everything except for about a fourth of the pizookie!

Coming out to... drum roll please... 3,301 calories EACH of us consumed in one sitting. Man talk about a food coma following that! I bet I could string together 2-3 of those meals in a day if I stopped eating early enough the day before.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My brother does something like 10k a day to maintain. He plays D1 football and does a lot of other active stuff when he's not doing football (mountain climbing/hiking, rugby, basketball, etc.)

If I were to eat my some of my favorite junk food in a day:

Breakfast: 890
    Sausage, egg, and cheese mcgriddle: 550 calories
    Hasbrown: 150
    Medium Orange Juice: 190

Lunch 2,060
    Panda Express Orange Chicken: 980
    Panda Express Chow Mein: 840
    Coke: 240

Dinner: 2,365
    Ceasar Salad: 330
    Babyback Ribs: 1156
    Garlic Mashed Potatoes: 305
    Cheesecake: 334

5,315 is quite a bit. I don't know how I'd do on snacks but I used to enjoy filling up a bowl of cashews to snack on at my desk. I calculated how much that was when I started MFP. I was doing 5k-7k just in cashews in a day. Nuts! :)
    LOL! I love this post. Whoa at that many calories in cashews!! This is why I prefer eating sunflower seeds- takes longer to eat.

As a woman eating that many calories is inconceivable.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Well go to Logan's and eat 4 racks of baby back ribs @1370 ea =5480 cals before the 4 extra bowls of BBQ sauce

Then add in 4 honey butter dinner rolls @ about 300 ea = 1200 cals

Then add in the loaded Mashed 'taters @ around 500 ea = 500 more cals

Add the slaw = 150 cals

then the 4 20 oz glasses of DEW with no ice @ 280 ea = 1120

That adds up to 8450 cals just for lunch..... And I have ate this meal more times than I care to admit in the last few years ......as this is my favorite meal, if I eat out ....(they USED to have all you can eat ribs for lunch special)
    OH- and I forgot the cinnamon apples - 408 more cals

FOR a total of = 8858 cal in one meal ...
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options

LOL! I love this post. Whoa at that many calories in cashews!! This is why I prefer eating sunflower seeds- takes longer to eat.

Haha. I know, right? A cup of cashews is somewhere around 1300 calories and my bowls were probably 2-2.5 cups...and I'd have a bowl or two a day. smh :)
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My brother does something like 10k a day to maintain. He plays D1 football and does a lot of other active stuff when he's not doing football (mountain climbing/hiking, rugby, basketball, etc.)

If I were to eat my some of my favorite junk food in a day:

Breakfast: 890
    Sausage, egg, and cheese mcgriddle: 550 calories
    Hasbrown: 150
    Medium Orange Juice: 190

Lunch 2,060
    Panda Express Orange Chicken: 980
    Panda Express Chow Mein: 840

Dinner: 2,365
    Ceasar Salad: 330
    Babyback Ribs: 1156
    Garlic Mashed Potatoes: 305
    Cheesecake: 334

5,315 is quite a bit. I don't know how I'd do on snacks but I used to enjoy filling up a bowl of cashews to snack on at my desk. I calculated how much that was when I started MFP. I was doing 5k-7k just in cashews in a day. Nuts! :)

I'm a woman... quite a small one at that, and I have EASILY polished off 10,000 in a meal before, perhaps 20,000 in a day. It's doable. :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Theoretical outing with some friends:

You go to O'Charley's, meet a friend. Have a couple of Mai-Tai's (620 cals each X 2) while splitting a platter of 24 wings (2622 for 12 of them), then split some potato skins while waiting for another friend to show up (628 for half order of skins). Other friend shows up, you have a 3rd cocktail (620) while your friend has an appetizer, and--what the heck--nibble on an order of crispy pickle chips (915).

You order entrees, go for the 12-pepper crispy chicken (chicken is good for you, right? 1642 calories), decide on sides of fries (520) and a classic bleu cheese wedge, because salads are healthy (585). 3 rolls with your meal (390). You consider switching to wine, but doesn't that make you sick? Better stick to a couple more Mai-Tais (1240).

Dessert time! Brownie lover's brownie is 1600 calories, add some Irish coffee for another 200 or so.

Final tally: 12,202 calories.

I couldn't pull this off today, but I think I could have in my early 20s.