Lost the weight now need practical advice

Options
Happy Good Friday everyone!

After losing nearly 30 pounds I have an excellent problem....90% of the clothes in my closet do not fit. I just don't know how to go about changing that!

The logistics of the whole purging is kicking my butt!

Do I pull EVERYTHING out and try each item on....
Do I give the big stuff away?
Do I keep it just incase which I think would be negative by not believing I can keep it of....

Advice on any or all of the above is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar position a few months back - and yes, I tried on just about every piece of clothing in my closet, and things that were too big god put in a bag to be donated to my favorite local thrift store. :bigsmile: Things that still fit went back into the closet.

A thrift store is also a good place to pick up clothes in your new size, especially if your body is still changing, or if you don't want to spend money on brand new clothes all at once.
  • mywise
    mywise Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try in on and give the big stuff to Goodwill...I got rid of 4 bags last week... Was actually a bit sad I had to give away some of the tops..OH well!!! I'll get over it lol..
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My technique is to wear my clothes one more time throughout the day. If I don't feel sexy in them I then put them in a black bag to take to good will. I still keep 1-2 sets of old clothes for yard work or anything that might get my nice new clothes dirty.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    As soon as it doesn't fit, I give it to Goodwill. And while I'm there, I try to pick up a few items, every trip. I'm rebuilding my wardrobe as I go. I've donated back several items that I bought as they eventually were too big too!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I would say try on everything and ditch anything that is too big. I also shop the thrift stores. It is great for the in between sizes.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'd do it in stages. Pull out certain things at a time and try them on. Maybe things you weren't so fond of in the first place. If they don't fit, make sure they're in good enough condition to give to charity and find somewhere that would like them. Then on another day (so it's not too overwhelming), pull out some more and do the same.

I took a lot of my clothes to charity shops when I lost weight a few years ago. It was actually quite fun to see just how big they were on me when I tried them on. I'm looking forward to doing that again soon!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Half of what's in your closet right now you probably have no interest in wearing again, even if it does fit. It's out of style, worn out, whatever. That's the easy stuff. Pretend you're shopping; would you take that item to the fitting room? All of that goes into the trash or donation bin.

Next, shop again in your closet but this time for size. Ask a friend for help if necessary - a very good, honest friend who will answer the question "how does my butt look in these slacks?" Consider alterations for anything that's expensive or classic. Taking in a skirt is a simple process for anyone with a sewing machine and will cost much less than buying a new one.

Take it in stages if necessary. Do a section or a season each weekend. Start with the spring / summer clothes so you know where to fill in with new things. You could finance your new wardrobe by taking appropriate items to a consignment shop (which is also a great place to pick up new work clothes, etc.).

Take a picture of the pile of discards. It will be great motivation!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Way to go, YOU! :heart:

I agree with everyone…try it on. If it’s too big and you don’t care for it, donate it. If it’s too big and you love it, can it be taken in? I have a friend that does alterations, and I am going to end up having two of my work blazers taken in because they are still relatively new, I love them, and want to get some more use out of them. :wink:

Then when you donate, pick up a few cute replacements for what you donated.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Donate it all and never look back. It will feel good to share and you will never need those clothes again. I promise.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I went through and tried on every piece of clothing I owned (really!). The stuff that was nice but just a LITTLE too big, I saved in a bag in the spare room. Everything that fit well went back in the closet. Everything that I didn't like anymore or were more than 1 size too big, I donated. Same with things that were too small (Yes, I held on to that stuff from a few years ago). It was a big relief to get all of the clutter out of my closet.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Half of what's in your closet right now you probably have no interest in wearing again, even if it does fit. It's out of style, worn out, whatever. That's the easy stuff. Pretend you're shopping; would you take that item to the fitting room? All of that goes into the trash or donation bin.

Next, shop again in your closet but this time for size. Ask a friend for help if necessary - a very good, honest friend who will answer the question "how does my butt look in these slacks?" Consider alterations for anything that's expensive or classic. Taking in a skirt is a simple process for anyone with a sewing machine and will cost much less than buying a new one.

Take it in stages if necessary. Do a section or a season each weekend. Start with the spring / summer clothes so you know where to fill in with new things. You could finance your new wardrobe by taking appropriate items to a consignment shop (which is also a great place to pick up new work clothes, etc.).

Take a picture of the pile of discards. It will be great motivation!

Excellent advice!! I need to do a closet purge before I shop for some new spring/summer clothes and will try to keep all of this in mind.

Just one thing to add - ask your friends/coworkers for references to local tailor for those items you decide to keep and have alterned.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Do NOT keep it. Try everything on and see what you still like. I keep some of my bigger clothes as pyjama tops or lazy clothes, also it's amazing what a waist belt can do for a dress!
    The rest, give to charity.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Here's something you might want to think about - keep SOME of the bigger clothes if you plan on having kids in the future!!! I know you don't want to be "negative" and people will say get rid of all the big stuff, but if you have any plans to get pregnant in the future you will be glad to have some of your bigger clothes lying around.

Now that I've shared that - yes, go through your closet and try on EVERYTHING. If you don't, you are likely to have the issue a lot of women have after losing weight - some body dysmorphia. You will thing some things are still going to fit when they're actually too big!

When you donate to charity, if it's a lot, keep track - Goodwill has a chart with values for donated clothing and if you are someone who itemizes your taxes, it can really add up!
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I have my clothes in a pile tucked in a corner in my closet. Even though I don't want to ever wear them again, I figured just in case. I plan to donate my clothes actually I think I might do that this weekend. Also because I'm not 100% at my goal, I've only bought one new pair of jeans and the rest are vintage.
  • Terriann7
    Terriann7 Posts: 78
    Options
    You guys are awesome!! Thanks so much for talking me through this.

Happy healthy Easter!

Terriann