Too much protein?

Options
I have been going over on my protein almost every day since I started this last week. Is it bad to have too much? Does it make it harder to lose?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Going over is good, as the default MFP setting is quite low. In fact, protein tends to keep you fuller longer than carbs. Thus, it should help you lose weight.
  • jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I go over protein every day too and I worry less about that than I do meeting the other goals. But I have been reading a lot lately about healthy eating and I'm trying to cut back on my animal proteins.
  • kimelliott14470
    Options
    Great, good to know. Thanks!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Do regular high protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes?
    Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O.
    Source
    Department of Physiological Chemistry, Institute of Physical Education and Kinesiotherapy, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.
    Abstract
    Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study
  • kimelliott14470
    Options
    good, then I guess I won't worry to much about it and continue on the way I'm going, Thanks!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Yep - even down to the science, its all safe :smile: