NIGHT EATING

Options
Every day that I workout I end up getting up and eating a snack in the middle of the night. It's never anything major, but it takes calories out of my next day which is a pain. I eat a good snack at the end of the day so not sure why I can't go all night without eating. Any advice? :)

Replies

• boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Clearly you are hungry if you're waking up in the night to eat - what are you having for your end of day snack? I would recommend some protein to keep you satisfied through the night. I have a small glass of milk (100ml) before bed and find that if I don't I can wake in the night feeling hungry. If you've been working out you do need to adjust your calories.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've just created a habit out of it. Instead of getting up and eating just go back to sleep!
  • SAPerkins01
    Options
    I have exeperienced this as well. It only occurs on my gym days (which is ever other day). I do light work outs on my off gym day and I don't feel like eating in the middle of the night. Like you, if I do give in, I just take the calories out of my next day (which is a non gym day, so it doesn't bother me). But I am thinking that having a late snack, even a healthy one, cannot be good. My snack is usually a protien bar. I am hoping I can just stop the craving on my gym days. But if not, I might try celery because it has no real net calories to speak of since it is mostly just water and fiber and it takes more calories to break it down than you derive from it. But my hope is that I can just go to sleep instead of satisfying the craving.
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone. :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough water.
    I also noticed that on some of your workout days you were very low in overall calories.
    One more thing, I noticed you drink a lot of calories in your coffee drinks from Starbucks or where ever you get your coffee drinks. Maybe if you ate more protein dense food like peanut butter you would get throught the night.
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good advice, I often justify my coffees because they are usually sugar free, but you are right, they are still calories I could be eating something more substantial (protein). I should be drinking black coffee, but my "treat" had become a daily habit.