Fiber Question,,,

Options
anj1030
anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
Can anyone tell me the risk of going OVER my suggested fiber intake per day?

Replies

• sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Healthy colon. Healthy poops.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Understood...but that doesn't happen for me! Ha Ha. Never has...

But on my daily food diary...it turns to this scary red when I go over...and it makes me think it's a bad thing.
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The recommendation for fiber on MFP is too low, in my opinion. 25-30g is the general recommendation. Some nutrients are based on a minimum requirement, not a maximum. Fiber is one of those. Do you freak out if you go over on vitamin C? No. It's good for you. Now, if you are actually eating something like 60g a day (which is doubtful on a calorie deficit, unless you are only eating fiber one bars and oatmeal).

Staying hydrated and eating enough fat helps too. With healthy poops and colon, I mean.
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ the previous poster. I've never heard of it being a problem. The only problem I've heard of is that if you make a huge sudden increase in your fiber you may have diarrhea :) I was also noticing that the fiber number seemed low as I thought you were supposed to get more becuase fiber helps you feel full and makes you poops and colon healthy.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that MFP's recommendation for fiber is too low. I personally aim for between 30 to 35 grams a day, which is close to double what MFP would recommend. No issues for me, although you want to build up slowly if your increasing your fiber intake in order to avoid intestinal distress!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I agree that the MFP suggestion is really low.

However, eating the MFP recommendation or less every day, then suddenly eating 30g can result in abdominal discomfort.

Also, drink lots of water as you are increasing your fiber intake.
  • AtwaterD
    AtwaterD Posts: 18
    Options
    I suggest displaying other stats and hiding fiber if it stresses you out to see red numbers. Just pick different stats to look at.
  • Bagelsan
    Bagelsan Posts: 49
    Options
    I track fiber and I *aim* for a red number. It means I'm getting a decent amount. :D (I also take fiber supplements to make sure I get enough. But be careful with those, and work your way up slowly to avoid GI tract problems and gas.)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    MFP's default for fiber is too low so don't worry about going over. Try to get at least 25g per day.

You can customize your food diary (macros, fiber, etc.) by going to:

My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    there are levels where it inhibits nutrient absorption.

Also whether you reach your fiber goals from whole foods or not is decent indication of whether you should add more whole foods to your diet.

It's my second target in my diet after protein.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Can anyone tell me the risk of going OVER my suggested fiber intake per day?

Untrustworthy gas
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    my innards appreciate me going over.
  • favreervaf
    favreervaf Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No bad risks, mainly, softer stool, increase gas or bloating, or possibly a little chance of dehydration as some fibers absorb water.
  • freekat
    freekat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I see the red number as a challenge. I try to get it there every day! Sometimes it is right to celebrate the red!