How much should I be tracking?

Options
Right now, I've got my app tracking calories, fat, protein, sugar, and sodium. Should I be really worried if my fat and sugar goes over my goal or should I just be mindful and try to do better? Will these two factors affect my weight loss?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Right now, I've got my app tracking calories, fat, protein, sugar, and sodium. Should I be really worried if my fat and sugar goes over my goal or should I just be mindful and try to do better? Will these two factors affect my weight loss?

All you need to be concerned about for weight loss - barring any illnesses, such as diabetes - the only thing you truly need to worry about for weight loss is Calories.

Protein and fat are basically minimum values, so don't worry about going over a little - or a lot, in the case of protein.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Calories is the key, you don't need to worry as much about the others. The sugar goal is very low, and you'll find even one piece of fruit will take you over.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    My focus is on calories but then again I am on a diet and eat food low in fat. Also sugar I never worry about as long as most of it is fruit and not cakes also that you are not a diabetic. I am try to make my protein as high as I can because that energy for your body.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The sugar goals are extremely low and many people argue that it is only meant for added sugars, not for those in fruits and dairy. I just sopped tracking sugar all together.

The fat goal isn't very important.

How are you doing with protein? The default goals are pretty low and you should make sure you are getting at least that much protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Worry about your calories at the moment...don't over complicate. You may want to start looking at your macros eventually (carbs/protein/fat) to have a more balanced and well rounded diet. Don't worry about your micros (sugar, sodium, etc) unless you have a specific medical condition that warrants doing so. If you appropriately manage your macros, you micros generally take care of themselves.

For what it's worth, I think MFP's default macros settings are for crap. They are way too high in carbs and low on protein. I manage my macros at a very balanced 40c/30p/30f ratio...this is also known as the "zone" or "zone diet." You can manually customize all of your goals in MFP, including your macros.
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I feel a little better. I'm glad you mentioned protein, because I upped my protein goal manually because from what I read, it was too low. As far as medical conditions, I have high blood pressure, so I think I still need to keep an eye on my sodium. Not for weight loss but for general health. Also, I'm not diabetic, but I have insulin resistance. So again, I should probably keep my eye on what sweet things I eat, but not go overboard about it.

I've been under my calories everyday since I started a week and a half ago, so I think I'm good there. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't sabotaging myself by not being more strict with the micros. You guys eased my mind a bit.

Thanks again!
  • aas1277
    aas1277 Posts: 67
    Options
    I go over my sugar pretty much every day. It's very difficult to stay within the prescribed number. At first I was steering away from my favorite fruits....one navel orange can have over 13 grams of sugar. I began to think this is ridiculous so I went back to eating my pears, apples, grapes, etc....the health benefits of fruit have got to outweight the harm the sugar does....right?
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    After seeing that my "sugar" is over every day and the only sugar I eat is in fruit, I decided not to worry about it. I'm always over on fiber, too, and it amuses me that MFP calls that an overage, since most people don't eat nearly enough fiber. Probably the more, the better.
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    I try not to worry about my sugar as much as it usually is from fruit.