Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HELP i wanna measure my waste and hips

i have a muffin top and not to sure where and what to measure and where for my waste and hips. well i know my hips r where my belly button is do i measure so the tape doesnt budge in cuz every time i measure it my rolls seem to pop over a bit am i pulling to tight? for my waste do i measure just before my muffin top ?

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    This might not be the type of answer you want but it doesn't matter how you do or where you do it but just do it the same everytime. From my midsection I did above my breast, below my breast (bra line), around where my bellbutton is and that's it. I just thought it would be hard to measure the same apot with my hips everytime. But what I do with my Thai is whereever it is the largest at so you could try that. Also I have the measuring tap firmly around but not squeezing.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I would recommend a cup or bowl and gloves for the waste measuring.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    First, because it's driving me crazy...it's spelled 'waist', not waste. I'm pretty sure you don't want to measure your garbage, or your bodily excretions.

Thank you, corn63, you made me laugh!

Original poster: you can actually go to a tailor and they can measure you, and either show you, or remember how they measured you for you to do it at home. Until you get used to doing it, it might be awkward.

I measure in a bunch of spots, because I am 'lumpy'. I measure under my breasts, because mine are huge. Then I measure around my natural waist (where I bend at the side), my belly button, my baby fat, and my hips below the baby fat. It's a lot, but like I said, I am 'lumpy'.

Good luck with the measurements. =)
  • Daynasanderson
    Daynasanderson Posts: 25 Member
    thank you :) i dont feel the pressure and more lol
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member

:laugh:

Sorry, OP, but this was pretty much my second thought after "Eww."

I measure waist at the smallest point and hips at the largest. I use the Myo measuring tape because it is easier to do yourself and you get consistent results with regard to how tightly the tape is pulled. Otherwise I can psych myself out by pulling too tightly one time and then not enough the next week (or the other way around).

You can also just measure at the largest points and make a note where you are measuring. Ex, midsection at navel or midsection one inch below navel if you want to track certain problem areas. I might do hips (at largest point) and hips where thighs are largest for the purpose of tracking problem areas.

Edit to add: http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-MT05-MyoTape-Body-Measure/dp/B000G7YW7Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364577069&sr=8-1&keywords=myo+tape+measure

This is probably the best for self measuring
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325

^^ this....aaaaand potentially a mask?
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    For the hips, I go with the widest girth. I do two waist measurements, one across the belly button and one an inch above.

BTW, If a simple spelling error by a perfect stranger on an open forum makes you that crazy, than perhaps the internetz are not the place for you. A little tolerance is in order, I'd say. Spelling =/= srs bsns...
  • Daynasanderson
    Daynasanderson Posts: 25 Member
    im dyslexic so make all the fun u want... i dont really care
  • lizzzylou

It's just teasing. Nobody's attacking you.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member

I'm with you I didn't even catch it. Where, were, there, their, hear, here, accept, except, loose, lose. English language is tricky some times! Such a silly little thing to correct someone on.
  • Rivers2k
    oh yeah and to answer your question belly button and hip bones. Only tight enough that the tape stays against the skin.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member

lol calm down. Nobody is making fun out of you. Honestly.
  • lizzzylou

right on! \m/
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

Exactly.
  • You made me laugh! I got it...:laugh:
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    OP, this chart might help you. http://getinspiredgetfit.com/picture/337/body-measure-chart/. :flowerforyou:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member

I'm with you I didn't even catch it. Where, were, there, their, hear, here, accept, except, loose, lose. English language is tricky some times! Such a silly little thing to correct someone on.

it was a harmless joke, because it was funny. She was being silly and having fun with words.
  • Rivers2k

right on! \m/

It can be a sensitive topic for some people. Especially if they know they have issues with spelling. I suck at spelling I have to check things three times but I am not sensitive about because I know its not a measure of my intelligence. It can make some people feel stupid.

Edited to correct spelling LOL
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

I am not dyslexic and sometimes make grammatical errors. It about enjoying unintentional funnies.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    The waist is pretty easy. Stand in front of the mirror and bend toward the sides. Your waist is right where the skin fold forms.

For hip, you can either measure around level with your belly button or where your buttocks are the fullest.