Late Night Snacking - NEED HELP!

gillian_gail
gillian_gail Posts: 66
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
I have always had an issue with sneaking into the kitchen in the middle of the night to get something to eat. Since I was about 10 years old I've been basically making myself a second dinner almost every night.

I thought I had cured myself of the habit, but lately I'm getting back into it, and it's really hindering my ability to lose weight.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I can do in order to prevent myself from feeling the need to run into the kitchen at 2am just dying for something to munch on???

Thanks in advance for any responses

--Gillian--

Replies

• jer2kat
    jer2kat Posts: 71 Member
    I've heard that keeping a glass of water by the bed and drinking it instead of going to find something to eat helps relieve hunger pains espesially in the middle of the night. Hunger and thirst pains often feel the same and you might just be thirsty. Hope this helps it's worth a shot anyway.
  • MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    If you are looking for something sweet I would suggest going to Wal-Mart and getting the little bads of Chiquita Apple Grape Bites. They are 70 calories, 1 gr fiber, and 8 gr of sugar. I have found these to be the best for satisfying a sweet craving! Plus if you like peanut butter scoop your apples in some reduced fat peanut butter. I am eating this right now and am LOVING it!!!

Or maybe try eating something more filling at dinner.

Good luck!
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Brushing your teeth before bed/after dinner may help you.
  • karenpeb
    karenpeb Posts: 23
    Force of habit is a tough one. If you have to eat then just change what you consume.

Do you like the feeling of a full stomach when you go to bed or do you really feel hungry when you go and get food? How many calories do you use at dinner? If your body is use to waking up and you feel hungry then try and eat an apple or a banana, some kind of fruit or vegetable. Stay away from breads, cereals, crackers, chips, or junk food.

I go to the grocery store and buy 100 calorie snack things. Jello no sugar dark chocolate pudding is under a 100 calories. Plus they make little snack packs from Nabisco that have cookies in them and it's portion controlled so if I have the urge to get up in the middle of the night I can have one and not feel bad about it. I usually keep a buffer of around 200 calories after dinner so if I feel like something it's included in my calorie count and I don't go over.

Eating Right cereal bars are 130 calories and the Slim Fast Double Dutch Chocolate bars are only 100 calories and they taste good and satisfy my hunger. Hope that helps!

698711.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Brushing your teeth before bed/after dinner may help you.

I second this! Teeth are important- you have to have them the rest of your life and only will if you take good care of them! So, that's an additional bonus!
  • Thank you all so much. I really appreciate all the responses. I'm really gonna try doing some of the suggestions, especially the brushing my teeth one :-)
This discussion has been closed.