Eat all your calories at once?!

I've been eating under my calorie goal lately, and this morning i just lost control and had 200 calories in crackers on top of my 300 green smoothie. My calorie goal is 700, I know many of you will say im starving myself. I'm just wondering if I will gain weight if I ate 500 calories all at once and only have 200 for later, or if it will be okay just as long as im under my calorie goal?

Replies

• violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    I've been eating under my calorie goal lately, and this morning i just lost control and had 200 calories in crackers on top of my 300 green smoothie. My calorie goal is 700, I know many of you will say im starving myself. I'm just wondering if I will gain weight if I ate 500 calories all at once and only have 200 for later, or if it will be okay just as long as im under my calorie goal?

I can tell you this, you are going to be malnourished and sickly eating that little, and your body will probably try to hold on to as much of that weight as possible because it won't know when/where its next meal is coming from.

Calculate your BMR. Eat at MINIMUM that.

That being said, once you have a reasonable goal, it wont matter how far apart in the day the calories are spread, or what time of day.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    meal timing doesnt matter...as long as at the end of the day your with/in your caloric goal
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    I would spread it out through the day so that your body doesn't hold on to the weight because it doesn't know when it will get food again, but you have got to eat more than that or your body is going to go into starvation mode anyway. Please rethink your calorie intake.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Your total calorie goal for the day is 700 calories?

Your body will shut down, your vital organs will stop working if you do not nourish yourself.

I am not judging you, I am concerned.

My friend, I am thinking its time to get to either talk to your parents and/or go see a doctor and have a serious discussion regarding your health.
  • johnsongirls
    johnsongirls Posts: 57 Member
    I don't think it matters, at the end of the day your are starving yourself so I wouldn't worry.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    our goal weight is only a 5 pound difference and I eat 1500 calories a day and I've been thinking about upping mine I'm 5'2" and 23 not sure of your height but there's no way there would be that big of a difference in our calorie intake
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Hun, it's science. You are slowing your metabolism down. Just do some research please and eat better for yourself.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Also, please google "protein". You need more.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    This is not a pro ana site. I think you are lost. It doesn't really matter when you eat your cals, I mean you are starving yourself, worry about that. Grow up and learn how to properly take care of yourself.

ETA- Your diary is full of carbs and not much else. If you think what you are doing is healthy I erge you to educate yourself and please don't offer anyone else "advice" untill you do. I would also suggest talking to a pro about your disordered eating.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    No, eating 500 cals in one go will not make you gain weight. Indeed you should probably eat another 500 cal for dinner and then a other 500 for supper to get you to a sensible daily intake.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    No, eating 500 cals in one go will not make you gain weight. Indeed you should probably eat another 500 cal for dinner and then a other 500 for supper to get you to a sensible daily intake.

This is my recommendation. And to do this tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day...
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Looking at your diary it looks like you workout but don't eat back your calories and eat the same foods almost daily.

Give your body what it wants, while you're a small frame like me (I'm 5'3) I eat anywhere between 1200-1500 calories a day. You're also 10 years younger which means your metabolism is a lot faster.

In other words, eating more may really benefit you.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    In your profile you state that you want to be healthier. You're going about it the wrong way. You'll never be healthy eating 700 calories a day. You need at least that amount of calories for your organs to function. After that, it doesn't matter when you eat your calories.

Go here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Calculate your BMR and eat at least that many calories, every day.
  • Your total calorie goal for the day is 700 calories?

Your body will shut down, your vital organs will stop working if you do not nourish yourself.

I am not judging you, I am concerned.

My friend, I am thinking its time to get to either talk to your parents and/or go see a doctor and have a serious discussion regarding your health.

I tottaly agree, hun you have to atleast eat 1200 calories a day to keep your body going, dont rush losing weight the wrong way. In time all the weight will fall off and your be healtier for doing it the right way
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    When you eat your daily calories does not matter. You can spread them out or eat them all at once.

Now that I've answered that, it doesn't matter *anyway* because you are not eating enough. You said it yourself. You won't gain weight, period, because you're eating about half of your daily recommended intake. You probably won't lose any either, though, because you are starving yourself.

Please do some research. You could suffer serious side effects from eating so little. Sure, you might get thin, but you could also lose your hair and suffer permanent organ damage. If you simply cannot bring yourself to eat more, please see a psychiatrist who deals with eating disorders.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Timing doesn't matter, but eating enough does. Determine your TDEE, eat at a 10-20% deficit. Strength train. Live life and enjoy.

At 20 you have the opportunity to build life-long healthy habits. Or not. You can, right now, create serious health issues like osteoporosis and heart problems down the road if you stay on your current path. Don't do that.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Well, I was going to say that taking in as many calories as one would need in one day might be a bit of work on the digestive system, so perhaps wouldn't be the best thing... but if you're only taking in 700, that's... a regular meal for most people around here. I average about 500 per meal, except breakfast (around 300). So 700 in one sitting wouldn't be terribly difficult on my digestion. BUT 700/day would be extremely difficult for any other bodily functions, and I'd be completely malnourished if that was the norm. Technically, I believe that's anorexic (if I recall, anorexia is diagnosed at 900 cals/day or less...? It's been a while since I read up on it so I could be mistaken).
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    This site does not support unsafe eating habits.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Well, I was going to say that taking in as many calories as one would need in one day might be a bit of work on the digestive system, so perhaps wouldn't be the best thing... but if you're only taking in 700, that's... a regular meal for most people around here. I average about 500 per meal, except breakfast (around 300). So 700 in one sitting wouldn't be terribly difficult on my digestion. BUT 700/day would be extremely difficult for any other bodily functions, and I'd be completely malnourished if that was the norm. Technically, I believe that's anorexic (if I recall, anorexia is diagnosed at 900 cals/day or less...? It's been a while since I read up on it so I could be mistaken).

Yeah, I'd say you hit the nail on the head. For real, 700 cal's is close to a typical meal for most of us. We are here to be healthy, not starve ourselves. OP, you need help.