That "Revelation" Moment

Options
124»

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My brother died during heart surgery at 30 years old and he was almost 400lbs. The thought that I was facing a similar fate and seeing my parents suffer as they did and what if they had to bury another child weighed heavily on my mind.

I kept telling myself over and over I have to do something. My moment came in December of 2009.

I was in doctors office with sinus infection, when nurse left room I saw "MORBIDLY OBESE" on computer. I knew from that moment I had to change and it was time to save my own life.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    when i didnt want to buy bigger clothes!! id rather lose than replace my wardrobe.. thats was my silver lining.. lol
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks everyone for sharing your stories! My latest one was turning 27 and not wanting to spend another year of my 20's obese.. and here I am the lightest I have been in over a year and I am feeling much healthier!!
  • Shadaro1
    Shadaro1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I didn't have a single moment, but visiting a site where women post full-body shots of themselves with correct heights and weights (all faces blocked out) was a HUGE eye-opener for me.

I am six feet tall and have been telling myself, "Of course you weigh more than her, look how short she is!" my whole life.

Then I looked at page after page after page of women who were six feet tall. I looked at ones who weighed 220ish (my weight), and then I looked at women claiming 160ish. In my mind, I had always assumed I would look emaciated at 160. I stared at those photos for a long, long time. That's what I want to look like.

It's not just vanity, either. My Grandmother (who served as my mother growing up) was obese and died decades ahead of her time. I am childless at 34 and still hope to find Mr Right someday. I need to live a long time. No one should bury their mother at 23. I won't do that to my eventual child.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ever since I was 10yrs old I was always what my mother called "stocky". Her kind w
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My big defining moment for me was a picture of my best friend and I after we had gone to get our belly buttons pierced and we both had our shirts pulled up and next to her amazing hourglass figure with absolutely no muffin top and completely flat stomach I looked huge and blubbery. I decided I wasn't going to live my life in denial or lame excuses. I wanted to be the hot friend not the fat friend and I was so upset when my best friend and I would go out and the guys would swarm her and I would be left alone. It really hurt and I knew it was because she is so unbelievably attractive and compared to her I looked really overweight and gross.

Another moment was when I started a new job and at employee health was told I had high cholesterol at 20yrs old! Yikes that was a scary moment and I was ashamed I ate myself into bad health at such a young age. Since then I lost 38lbs and I'm currently in the process of losing what I've regained since my vacation in may.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Going to get work trousers and realising size 12's were too tight on me and that size 14 trousers were too long in the leg despite being " petite ".

( Background info: As Im very short, even with a BMI of 21, I used to fit into children's aged 12-13 clothes. So not fitting into an adult size 12 was SCARY! )
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I got to the point I would not allow anyone to take my picture. And if they did, I would get angry. I started getting serious about a month ago and I know I can do this. For six years all I focused on was school. Now that is behind me and I can use that same focus to get healthy. Also, at 47 years old, I have to get it right now, not later when I am forced to do so because of disease.