Water Consumption

FluffehMama
FluffehMama Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,

I'm not a big water drinker and at this time I'm buying bottled water hoping that it's better than my tap. I've done some research re: this and I've found out that most bottled waters are no better than what I'm getting from my tap. The problem that I have with my tap is the poison, fluoride, that's being added. Not to mention, it doesn't taste very good!

I called the 800 number that's on the bottled water that I'm drinking now and asked if they added fluoride to it and the lady said that they did not add fluoride; but it has small trace amounts from the source. "Does anyone know of the "best" purest bottled water to drink?" I've heard that distilled water is not good for drinking.

"Does anyone have the Berkey Water Filter?" I hear theirs is one of the best to use to clean up your water. I'd like to hear what you all are doing regarding the water that you drink. I know that it's important to drink "lots" of water not only to stay healthy; but also when trying to get in shape physically; so I don't want to have to consume lots of fluorinated water in the process.

Any comments welcome. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Fluffehmama

P.S. Besides, fluoride IS poison! "Why are we forced to consume it?" "What purpose does it serve (when it is ADDED) to our water supply?"

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    According to a health course I just wrapped up, fluoridation of water started for the dental benefits. Regardless of access to dental facilities, citizens of the U.S. could glean the benefits of stronger teeth from fluoride in the water.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Yeah. Flouride in water is supposed to keep the cavity creeps away.
  • medrewiske
    medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
    It usually says on the bottle is flouride is added, so you can avoid it by checking for that. I use a brita water filter and I like it. I use the pitcher filter now becasue the one I had that attached to my faucet started leaking/spraying after a while.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Hi,

I called the 800 number that's on the bottled water that I'm drinking now and asked if they added fluoride to it and the lady said that they did not add fluoride; but it has small trace amounts from the source.

If the "source" fluoride is naturally occuring then you don't need to worry about it. It is the ADDED fluoride that is the problem:

http://www.fluoridedebate.com/question03.html

There are many sites that give conflicting opinions but this does seem to be the most unbiased (so far).
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    I always hated water, till I had to give up all carbonated beverages 2 years ago and now I love it. It is all I drink minus an occasional hot chocolate.

I use PUR filters at home and buy Dasani (my fav bottled brand) bottled to throw in my lunch bag. I tried reusable bottles for my lunch bag to bring PUR water from home but they all made it taste funny (especially the metal bottles). I recycle my bottles, so I don't feel as bad for buying bottled water.

Dasani is simply purified water, not spring/mineral/etc, so I have no clue about fluoride content. It doesn't say anything about it on the bottle but it is not something I am greatly concerned over.
This discussion has been closed.